Pre law advisor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
merc280

Pre law advisor

Postby merc280 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:38 am

I was thinking about having the pre law adviser at the University where I graduated this past semester look over my application materials, including the addendum and help in revising my resume and personal statement. Would this be a good idea, or are those pre law advisers not helpful sometimes?

traehekat

Re: Pre law advisor

Postby traehekat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:04 pm

I met with my pre-law advisor a number of times throughout my junior/senior year. She was incredibly helpful and allowed me to just bounce different thoughts/worries/ideas off her. All advisors are different, of course, but I would definitely say it's worth it to stop in their office at least once.

okfine

Postby okfine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Some of my prelaw advisor's advice has been incredibly helpful, and some of it has been mistaken. By all means go and get their help; just remember that it shouldn't contradict the experiences of dozens of posters here and on related sites.

Also, I've been getting help from as many people as possible while working on my PS. It's been very valuable for me to get feedback from lots of different angles.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:28 pm

I went to see my pre-law advisor, waited an hour to do so, and honestly knew more about the process than she did. It was ridiculous. I find knowledgeable posters on this site to be the best source of advice.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm

My pre-law advisor sucked with a capital 'S'! On my first visit she basically told me she didn't think I had enough campus involvement to be considered for top schools. What a load of bs, self-serving advice. Then, when I tell her my practice tests are coming in at the low 170s, her first reaction is tell me to expect to drop on test day. I was like, "Thanks for the encouragement moron!"

She didn't even seem to know that law schools base acceptances almost purely off of LSAT/GPA...what an idiot. That said, maybe you have a great prelaw advisor. I would just say that, in general, a prelaw advisor has never been to law school, so I would be extremely hesistant to trust their advice.

volfan6415

Postby volfan6415 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm

My pre-law advisior was worthless.....granted I was an Engineering major at a predominantly engineering school (GA Tech) so the pre-law advisor really had a small program and didn't have to work with many people.
Last edited by volfan6415 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Ildeuce wrote:I went to see my pre-law advisor, waited an hour to do so, and honestly knew more about the process than she did. It was ridiculous. I find knowledgeable posters on this site to be the best source of advice.

+1. I knew more about the process in a couple of hours on TLS than she knew about the process, period.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 pm

mpasi

Postby mpasi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 pm

Mine wasn't very helpful. In fact, she was kind of a bitch. I spoke to my regular advisor about it, and he pretty much confirmed what I already knew. I'm determined to get in somewhere partially because she told me I couldn't. Whether I choose to let LSAC notify her of my admissions decisions hinges on how well I do on the LSAT.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

For the most part, mine was pretty good. He mostly helped me with my personal statement, and he definitely had good advice. I think everyone on here is right in saying to take whatever they say with a grain of salt. But it's definitely worth a shot.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”