(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
schween

Postby schween » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:17 am

Last edited by schween on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schween

Re: Retaking while deferred?

Postby schween » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Anyone?

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm

I wouldn't think there would be an issue. But it would look odd to the school. This begs the question of why you are re-taking. There could only be one or two reasons you are likely re-taking the LSAT: (1) to try and get more money, or (2) to try to get into a "better" school. And the school is going to realize this.

So my next question: is this deferral agreement a binding sort of thing? Because if it is, you might not get into the same school if you were to re-apply. They wouldn't be inclined to give you more money if you do get a higher score either, if it is binding.

But if the deal is just that your offer is revoked as soon as you re-apply, then that is your call. Keep in mind that with a higher LSAT (or for that matter, an equal one), you will probably get a comparable offer from a peer school. But you also might not get back into the one you are deferred at right now because they might view you as someone who might not go. You just never know.

To answer the question more narrowly, I think re-taking the LSAT would merely look odd. But I highly, highly doubt that it would result in any difference in your file. But re-applying would make it fishy. Good luck!

billyez

Postby billyez » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:17 pm

I also think it would look very odd - especially if your deferral is binding. If it is binding, then I doubt you're going to be able to convince them to give you any more money no matter how well you do.
Last edited by billyez on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schween

Postby schween » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:25 pm

The basic terms are, I have to re-confirm my intent to enroll by Dec 31. If I don't they withdraw my deferral and give my seat to someone else.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

schween wrote:The basic terms are, I have to re-confirm my intent to enroll by Dec 31. If I don't they withdraw my deferral and give my seat to someone else.

In that case, if you re-take, I would imagine you need to get into a different school by Dec. 31st or else it becomes binding (assuming you would want your deferred school as an option by then).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”