Will I be too late?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gatorbull84

Will I be too late?

Postby Gatorbull84 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I plan on taking the LSAT in October and apply for fall 2011. Will my application be too late and will I be better off applying for the following year?

Also, will a 160 get me into a top 50 school? My undergrad GPA is a 3.0 and my degree is in biological engineering. My masters is in Molecular medicine and my GPA is above a 3.6. I am not a URM. I was president and founder of a university organization and I have plenty of volunteering hrs.

Thanks

billyez

Re: Will I be too late?

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:44 pm

It won't be late if you send it off before November.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:48 pm

As to your scores, mess around on Law School numbers with your LSAT and undergrad GPA. Your Master's GPA won't count for much, if at all.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Just have all of your applications ready to go, so that when you have an LSAT to your name you can get them out as soon as possible. Oct isn't too late at all, the real mistake would be waiting until you have your score to start writing a PS, writing "Why X" essays, getting LORs, sending in transcripts, etc.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

billyez wrote:It won't be late if you send it off before November.

Why does it need to be sent off before November? I'm hoping to also take the LSAT in October, but I graduate in December and I want to send in my application in the beginning of January with my grades finalized (hopefully about .05 higher) and also hope to get a letter of recommendation from one of my upcoming professors. Is it really that essential to get your application in early? Will I be screwed if I send in January with average numbers for the school I am applying to?

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

2011Law wrote:

Why does it need to be sent off before November? I'm hoping to also take the LSAT in October, but I graduate in December and I want to send in my application in the beginning of January with my grades finalized (hopefully about .05 higher) and also hope to get a letter of recommendation from one of my upcoming professors. Is it really that essential to get your application in early? Will I be screwed if I send in January with average numbers for the school I am applying to?

January is pretty late for submitting applications. Most law schools do rolling admissions, so they have fewer and fewer spots as the admissions cycle goes on, and schools become much more particular as that happens. The .05 probably isn't worth the difference between November and January, and you can always update schools with your new grades when they come out, as a lot of your apps likely won't have a final decision rendered yet.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

2011Law wrote:

Before November because the earlier the better. Also, I'd think a huge group of applications would start going in around December/January while people are on breaks and have time to work on them. If you apply in January, you could still get in, but it wouldn't be as certain with average numbers and you'd have a greater chance of looking at a waitlist.

OP, I took the (late) September LSAT last year and applied during the first half of November, and my cycle went pretty exactly as my numbers predicted.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:02 pm

During the last cycle, the first major round of acceptances occurred in December. What I should have said is that if you want your application to be counted as early, I think a time before November would suffice.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 pm

CapHillLove wrote:I'm sure this question has been addressed somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer... I already took the LSAT and did way below expected. I am retaking in October and applying this cycle. Does it help to go ahead and submit all of my other materials before I get my new score or will LSAC send my original score along with those things? I don't want them to see my bad school until there is a (hopefully) better score next to it, but I'm also worried that Oct. 23, when the scores are released, is too late.

Thoughts?

Yes, submit all your other materials first...honestly, I would go ahead and send it off anyway. You can ask the school not to make a decision before your other score is sent. Most likely they'll hold your application until the next score is snet -that's what happened to me.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 pm

CapHillLove wrote:I'm sure this question has been addressed somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer... I already took the LSAT and did way below expected. I am retaking in October and applying this cycle. Does it help to go ahead and submit all of my other materials before I get my new score or will LSAC send my original score along with those things? I don't want them to see my bad school until there is a (hopefully) better score next to it, but I'm also worried that Oct. 23, when the scores are released, is too late.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, applications have a section where they ask if you're planning on (re)taking the LSAT in the future. In that case, you put the date down and they should hold your application until they receive the new score. I've also heard like once or twice of a school not paying attention to that and just rejecting, but there have been anecdotes of people with new LSAT scores successfully appealing the rejection.

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Last edited by CapHillLove on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15 pm

CapHillLove wrote:
manbearwig wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, applications have a section where they ask if you're planning on (re)taking the LSAT in the future. In that case, you put the date down and they should hold your application until they receive the new score. I've also heard like once or twice of a school not paying attention to that and just rejecting, but there have been anecdotes of people with new LSAT scores successfully appealing the rejection.

Thanks for the info. Considering that risk... that they'll ignore the hold request... is it even worth it to submit before I have my new score? It seems like they won't be looking at it anyway until the new LSAT comes in... would getting it in early help at all if it's going to be held anyway?

I'd say it's worth it. I'm sure that risk is pretty small. Also, so many people take the LSAT in October. If you get it in early, even though they put you aside originally, you'll still be before everyone who waited until after their scores came in to submit. And, it's just nice having the peace of mind that you're done. Less stress before finals and what not. (Though the stress of waiting totally sucks.)

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 pm

Also, it's not likely that they'll come up with a decision before November anyway.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:06 pm

thanks a lot guys I really appreciate it

drake

Postby drake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 am

Last edited by drake on Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:55 am

billyez wrote:

Thoughts?

Yes, submit all your other materials first...honestly, I would go ahead and send it off anyway. You can ask the school not to make a decision before your other score is sent. Most likely they'll hold your application until the next score is snet -that's what happened to me.

No real benefit to this. They won't put it in the review stack until after the file is complete.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:23 am

It worked pretty swell for me. All my other materials were already sent to schools when my new LSAT score came in and it only took a week for schools to render decisions after that new score was sent to them. I just don't see the benefit of holding off sending in all other parts of the application when you just take care of it beforehand.

Gatorbull84

Postby Gatorbull84 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I come from a completely different background(medical) and I am not completely clear on the process. How important are the softs? I plan on having a pretty strong personal statement and 2 or 3 letters. But who should the letters be from? For example would a letter from a federal agent and a business owner be acceptable?

Thanks for everything

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 pm

Gatorbull84 wrote:I am sure this question has been asked a million times but I come from a completely different background(medical) and I am not completely clear on the process. How important are the softs? I plan on having a pretty strong personal statement and 2 or 3 letters. But who should the letters be from? For example would a letter from a federal agent and a business owner be acceptable?

Thanks for everything

I refer you to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35133
to encourage you to read first if you have any additional questions.

as well as this page: http://www.top-law-schools.com/admissions-articles.html
It's full of articles that are more thorough that any forum posts, and slightly more credible.

Softs: For most people and at most places, it doesn't make a big difference. They're fairly important at Yale & Stanford & Harvard somewhat though--not to say that they don't demand high numbers there, but there are also more ppl high numbers than there are necessarily spots in their class(Harvard has a class size over twice as large, which is why they can't emphasize softs as much) so then softs really come into play to distinguish betweent hem. For a special exceptional few, softs takes them somewhere their numbers can't.

LOR: They like an academic one, but it depends how long you've been out of school. Read the relevant article for an in-depth overview:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/letters- ... ation.html

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”