WE or Honor's College?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Barbie

WE or Honor's College?

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Which is better to have (I have to choose one): Work Experience, or being in the Honor's College?
I currently work full time a local law firm, and am enrolled in the honor's program at my UG. I cannot continue to do both: 12-15 UG credit hours per semester and working on my thesis while working 45+ hours per week. On top of that, doing all my LS applications/ PS/ and studying for my Oct LSAT retake (even though this will be over in Oct..)

So which is more valuable? If it matters, I would much more enjoy working on my thesis and continuing my honors courses.

acrossthelake

Re: WE or Honor's College?

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Depends on your long-term goals. Do you plan to ever return to that firm? Do you plan to try to publish your thesis?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Depends on your long-term goals. Do you plan to ever return to that firm? Do you plan to try to publish your thesis?

Yes. It is actually to write a novel (I'm an english major) and I already have 1 novel completed... writing is a passion of mine. And my thesis director is very widely published and has a LOT to offer me and thinks (from what is done/previous works) that this novel could be very successful.

I would return to work for him during the summer, maybe, IF I stayed in state... which I don't really want to do.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:41 pm

The decision that will help you the most is the decision that will allow you to have the highest GPA and LSAT score. If neither of those things are affected, then whatever you choose will likely have a very minor role in law school admissions.

In that case, I would go with the thesis. You said that you will enjoy doing it more, and if writing is a passion of yours you might later regret not giving it more of a try.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

Keep your GPA & LSAT up and you sound way more excited about your thesis. Do that unless you plan to return to this specific firm later.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 pm

thanks for the input :) I'm def. leaning towards the thesis. Also, if a school WL me or something, my fall grades will definitely be better if I am not trying to work at the same time. So in that respect, it could benefit my GPA. and I think doing school rather than work would actually give me more time to study for the LSAT as well.
I'm struggling as to what to tell my boss if I do. He really doesn't want me to go :(

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 pm

It sounds like you'd prefer to do Honor's College rather than work full-time, so that's probably what you should do. The plus to working full-time is, of course, the money... If it's going to make a substantial difference in your debt-load, keep in mind you can always work on writing your novel independently, or perhaps sign up for independent study rather than do the full honor's program.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:52 pm

I actually have a pretty awful GPA (3.1) with a very strict upward trend (straight As for almost 2 years) that they may ask for my fall grades to see the continued progression (maybe, who knows) and it could bring my GPA up if for some reason I wait until december to apply

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Haribo wrote:It sounds like you'd prefer to do Honor's College rather than work full-time, so that's probably what you should do. The plus to working full-time is, of course, the money... If it's going to make a substantial difference in your debt-load, keep in mind you can always work on writing your novel independently, or perhaps sign up for independent study rather than do the full honor's program.

The money isn't a big deal really.. and some TLS friends have told me that "2+ points on the LSAT will be worth more money than your current job" someday.. :) hah

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:10 pm

Barbie wrote:I actually have a pretty awful GPA (3.1) with a very strict upward trend (straight As for almost 2 years) that they may ask for my fall grades to see the continued progression (maybe, who knows) and it could bring my GPA up if for some reason I wait until december to apply

You probably won't bring it up enough to not apply early.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:16 pm

rad law wrote:
Barbie wrote:I actually have a pretty awful GPA (3.1) with a very strict upward trend (straight As for almost 2 years) that they may ask for my fall grades to see the continued progression (maybe, who knows) and it could bring my GPA up if for some reason I wait until december to apply

I mean if I'm "on hold" somewhere and they want to see my fall grades, you know?

and answer the question? WE or Honors?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Barbie wrote:
rad law wrote:

I mean if I'm "on hold" somewhere and they want to see my fall grades, you know?

Generally, they will ask if they want them. Not all will. If these grades help you, and you want schools to see them, you can send them in to LSAC as soon as you get them and they will automatically be disseminated to the schools you are applying to.

and answer the question? WE or Honors?

Whatever makes you happy.

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:16 pm

I'd probably go with the work experience. I was in my UG's honor's program, but it really didn't require a lot of participation outside of mandatory honors classes. Of course, it may different for your college. My work experience has been far more meaningful than honors college enrollment - rec letter source, very interesting, and an opportunity for me to prove myself in meaningful ways.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:35 pm

Rik Smits wrote:I'd probably go with the work experience. I was in my UG's honor's program, but it really didn't require a lot of participation outside of mandatory honors classes. Of course, it may different for your college. My work experience has been far more meaningful than honors college enrollment - rec letter source, very interesting, and an opportunity for me to prove myself in meaningful ways.

Agreed. The classes don't require much work-- pretty similar to regular classes with just a lot more writing and reading. The only thing that is genuinely time consuming is my thesis. I want it to be REALLY good (publishing) and it will probably run me at about 200 pages so it is a ton of editing and working. Thats really why it has to be one or the other. I've gained a lot from my job, but I don't think it is necessarily something I couldn't learn a little later in life, and I already have gained general knowledge from it (say, summer internship... if I get one... hah).

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:00 am

I'm graduating from my Honors program this year. If it's anything like mine, run. Run now. Run fast.

Mine required (in addition to regular gen ed requirements) two extra Math courses above the 200 level, including Calculus, a year of Honors Sciences (choice of Geology, Astronomy, or Biology), a year of Western Civ, a semester of Honors English, an internship or independent study, a bachelor's essay, and an interdisciplinary class.

In other words, it included just enough of a variety to guarantee that you're going to be forced to take a class you'll suck eggs in. Most people are really, really bad at least one subject. The internship classes also required a ton of time.

My honors courses are solely responsible for my crappy GPA. Of course, it was my fault for thinking being in the Honors college was going to help me get in law school and not wising up until last semester. I take full responsibility. But without my Cs in Calculus, Honors Geology, and Stats (none of which are gen ed requirements), I would have had a much, much higher GPA. My major GPAs (Pol Sci and English) are 3.71 and 3.69. My overall is a 3.4.

Read the requirements very, very carefully. See how many extra classes you'll have to take, how long it will take, and what the classes are. I got a ton of extra perks for doing Honors (priority registration, which was really helpful since I'm attending a big state school, much better housing, better faculty, etc), but none of it was worth the hit my GPA took. If your Honors program isn't that bad or is full of classes that you're good at, have a ball. But if it's like mine, to quote Scar, run, run away and never return.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 am

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 am

The dilemma is GPA vs GPA. If you have to drop both work hours and the honors program, do it, if it means maximizing your GPA. The numbers are more important that anything else for your admission to a good law school.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:44 am

I did the honors college at my school and no longer list it on my resume...what does it entail at your school?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 am

Rikkugrrl wrote:I'm graduating from my Honors program this year. If it's anything like mine, run. Run now. Run fast.

Mine required (in addition to regular gen ed requirements) two extra Math courses above the 200 level, including Calculus, a year of Honors Sciences (choice of Geology, Astronomy, or Biology), a year of Western Civ, a semester of Honors English, an internship or independent study, a bachelor's essay, and an interdisciplinary class.

In other words, it included just enough of a variety to guarantee that you're going to be forced to take a class you'll suck eggs in. Most people are really, really bad at least one subject. The internship classes also required a ton of time.

My honors courses are solely responsible for my crappy GPA. Of course, it was my fault for thinking being in the Honors college was going to help me get in law school and not wising up until last semester. I take full responsibility. But without my Cs in Calculus, Honors Geology, and Stats (none of which are gen ed requirements), I would have had a much, much higher GPA. My major GPAs (Pol Sci and English) are 3.71 and 3.69. My overall is a 3.4.

Read the requirements very, very carefully. See how many extra classes you'll have to take, how long it will take, and what the classes are. I got a ton of extra perks for doing Honors (priority registration, which was really helpful since I'm attending a big state school, much better housing, better faculty, etc), but none of it was worth the hit my GPA took. If your Honors program isn't that bad or is full of classes that you're good at, have a ball. But if it's like mine, to quote Scar, run, run away and never return.

holy cow! no, mine is focused on my major. So the only honors classes I take are english courses (I'm doing one on Shakespeare, maybe Milton or Chaucer) and I haven't gotten anything except an A or A+ in an english class my entire college career. My grades wouldn't hurt at all. I saved these classes for last, and finished all my other requirements to graduate (except french 2). So all I have left are a few honors english courses and my thesis hours.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 am

clintonius wrote:The dilemma is GPA vs GPA. If you have to drop both work hours and the honors program, do it, if it means maximizing your GPA. The numbers are more important that anything else for your admission to a good law school.

Will my fall grades really matter, considering I am submitting my applications in sep/oct? The honors prog. requires that I maintain a 3.5 in my english honors courses, so at least I know I will have to do well anyways :).

Rik Smits

Postby Rik Smits » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:12 am

Barbie wrote:Agreed. The classes don't require much work-- pretty similar to regular classes with just a lot more writing and reading. The only thing that is genuinely time consuming is my thesis. I want it to be REALLY good (publishing) and it will probably run me at about 200 pages so it is a ton of editing and working. Thats really why it has to be one or the other. I've gained a lot from my job, but I don't think it is necessarily something I couldn't learn a little later in life, and I already have gained general knowledge from it (say, summer internship... if I get one... hah).

I forgot about the thesis requirement; that also existed in my honors program. To be accurate, I transferred to a new school and once again gained admission into an honors program (departmental). The only additional requirements I have to fulfill are two more classes (36 hours to 42 hours) and a senior thesis. Honestly, I would recommend a departmental honors program over a general university honors program. You get to know the professors in your department a lot better and have enhanced opportunities in research and independent study because of it.

I'm not sure whether or not I am going to try and publish my thesis. It'll depend on how well the research portion of it goes this fall.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”