Letters of Recommendation - expiration date... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rjh456

New

Letters of Recommendation - expiration date...

Post by rjh456 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:02 am

I'm planning to take the October LSAT and apply this fall, but I'm also considering registering for the December test and applying for the next cycle just in case things don't go so hot in October. Does anyone know if I can roll over the LoRs that I've added to my LSAC account to another cycle? After already soliciting letters from professors, I'd prefer not to have to come back in November and explain that I sucked at my first LSAT attempt and will now need new recs next year.

Endgames

New

Re: Letters of Recommendation - expiration date...

Post by Endgames » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:14 pm

I'm wondering the same exact thing. Anybody know how long you can use letters of recommendation for? Also, would it make a difference to the school you were applying to if your lors were a year old?

rjh456

New

Post by rjh456 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 pm

shameless bump...

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:35 am

rjh456 wrote:I'm planning to take the October LSAT and apply this fall, but I'm also considering registering for the December test and applying for the next cycle just in case things don't go so hot in October. Does anyone know if I can roll over the LoRs that I've added to my LSAC account to another cycle? After already soliciting letters from professors, I'd prefer not to have to come back in November and explain that I sucked at my first LSAT attempt and will now need new recs next year.
Yeah as long as your LSDAS account is active, you should be fine

jimmy78

New

Post by jimmy78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:25 pm

I had this happen to me--I planned on applying to school during the Fall of 2007 and never ended up going and had 3 LOR's dated "xx-xx-2007" on my file. These letters are all still on my file, but schools strongly urged me to get updated ones...so I had to go back to all my old LOR's and ask for letters with a "xx-xx-2010" date on top of them. My LOR's just basically used their old LOR from 2007 and just updated the dates to 2010.

My only word of advice is not to let your LOR's be older than 1 year. That was my mistake and I felt kind of dumb going back and asking for new ones.
rjh456 wrote:I'm planning to take the October LSAT and apply this fall, but I'm also considering registering for the December test and applying for the next cycle just in case things don't go so hot in October. Does anyone know if I can roll over the LoRs that I've added to my LSAC account to another cycle? After already soliciting letters from professors, I'd prefer not to have to come back in November and explain that I sucked at my first LSAT attempt and will now need new recs next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:32 pm

I used letters from a past cycle that were a year old. Not sure if it affected the cycle or not.

jimmy78

New

Post by jimmy78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Like I said, one year old LOR's aren't that big of a deal--don't push it past a year (like I did).
hawkeye22 wrote:I used letters from a past cycle that were a year old. Not sure if it affected the cycle or not.

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 am

I just called both Georgetown and GW and asked if they had any problem with my using my academic letters from '06. They both sort of laughed and said that of course it would be fine. Their contention was that it's best to get the letters when they are fresh in the profs' minds. Both wanted letters that discussed the last couple years as well, so if you can get one new letter that would surely help. But as far as using one yr old letters, those two schools had absolutely no problem with it. I'm going to call some others throughout the day, so I will keep you all posted if anything changes.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 am

You'll be fine. I registered for LSAC awhile back but didn't apply to law school or take the LSAT. All three of my recommendations were from 2003! And of the 15 schools that I applied to, only one asked for a newer LOI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”