White House Internship? Take or turn down?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby tesoro » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:51 am

Most of us work full-time and study afterward and on the weekends. Given this opportunity, that's what you should do too.

User avatar
Lincoln
Posts: 1029
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby Lincoln » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:54 am

The internship will be a boost on your app, but more importantly, it will be a boost on your job applications for both 1L and 2L summer jobs, especially for public sector work. If you are dead-set on applying this cycle, study as much as you can for the LSAT now. Front-load, so you have a bit of flexibility later. Then make a schedule. I bought a sandwich and went to the library every day after work, and studied until 10-11, and then studied 6-8 hrs a day on weekends. It was a sucky few months, being gone from 8 am to 11 pm every day, but it worked. If you stay focused, there is no reason you can't do well doing both. I wouldn't give up the internship for anything if I were you.

And besides, not doing it is no guarantee you'll do better on the LSAT. How dumb will you feel if you don't do the internship, and then bomb the test?

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby trudat15 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Good job on taking the internship. You couldn't pass it up. If you were scoring in the 170s-180s on PTs anyways, its not that you dont know the material, its just a performance issue on the day of the test (including, as you mentioned, getting 30 instead of 35 for 2 sections).

FWIW, I also PTd in the 170-180s, took it in the low/mid 160s. Then took it again, studying less this time around, but focusing more on performance (taking countless exams, etc) and scored about my avg on the PTs. You know the material , just need to prepare for the exam. You should be able to do this while working.

Good luck!

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:30 pm

mpasi wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:]
White house is pretty dime a dozen. Capitol hill is pretty popular - I don't think mine gave me any sort of advantage - except that it was a great experience, allowed me to network, and helped me decide what I might like to do one day.



White House internships are hard to get, actually. I agree that Capitol Hill is far easier, and only prestigious if you intern for a high-profile member.

As for the OP...you can intern once you're in law school. Why can't you do both? Intern during the day, study at night?

Doesn't dime a dozen mean hard to get and impressive? Or do I have the phrase reversed? Oh man.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby Unitas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:31 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
mpasi wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:]
White house is pretty dime a dozen. Capitol hill is pretty popular - I don't think mine gave me any sort of advantage - except that it was a great experience, allowed me to network, and helped me decide what I might like to do one day.



White House internships are hard to get, actually. I agree that Capitol Hill is far easier, and only prestigious if you intern for a high-profile member.

As for the OP...you can intern once you're in law school. Why can't you do both? Intern during the day, study at night?

Doesn't dime a dozen mean hard to get and impressive? Or do I have the phrase reversed? Oh man.


Dime a dozen = very common and easy...

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby capitalacq » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm not sure why you people think WH internships are so hard to get... just because you were rejected doesn't mean it's that prestigious. No one cares about a WH Comms. Department internship. Most WH internships aren't going to help you get a job and aren't good for networking.

That being said, it's not too hard to study for the LSAT while working, so you could do both. Just don't have as high expectations for the internship as these people posting here would lead you to believe

dclawwh
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby dclawwh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Capitalacq,

I also accepted a WH internship for this fall and am planning on taking the LSAT in Oct. In my opinion, that's the move. Do not pass on the WH and take a couple of practice sections each night when you get home. Its very doable -- especially with your strong starting point.

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm

capitalacq wrote:I'm not sure why you people think WH internships are so hard to get... just because you were rejected doesn't mean it's that prestigious. No one cares about a WH Comms. Department internship. Most WH internships aren't going to help you get a job and aren't good for networking.

That being said, it's not too hard to study for the LSAT while working, so you could do both. Just don't have as high expectations for the internship as these people posting here would lead you to believe



I wasn't rejected, and considering that they pick 100 people out of nearly 5,000 apps each term, it is very hard to get. Some people....damn.

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby capitalacq » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:33 pm

mpasi wrote:
capitalacq wrote:I'm not sure why you people think WH internships are so hard to get... just because you were rejected doesn't mean it's that prestigious. No one cares about a WH Comms. Department internship. Most WH internships aren't going to help you get a job and aren't good for networking.

That being said, it's not too hard to study for the LSAT while working, so you could do both. Just don't have as high expectations for the internship as these people posting here would lead you to believe



I wasn't rejected, and considering that they pick 100 people out of nearly 5,000 apps each term, it is very hard to get. Some people....damn.

# chosen / # of apps =/= difficulty. If you really want one, you'll find out how to get it. Most of the applicant pool isn't competitive

User avatar
mpasi
Posts: 324
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Re: White House Internship? Take or turn down?

Postby mpasi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:41 pm

capitalacq wrote:
mpasi wrote:
capitalacq wrote:I'm not sure why you people think WH internships are so hard to get... just because you were rejected doesn't mean it's that prestigious. No one cares about a WH Comms. Department internship. Most WH internships aren't going to help you get a job and aren't good for networking.

That being said, it's not too hard to study for the LSAT while working, so you could do both. Just don't have as high expectations for the internship as these people posting here would lead you to believe



I wasn't rejected, and considering that they pick 100 people out of nearly 5,000 apps each term, it is very hard to get. Some people....damn.

# chosen / # of apps =/= difficulty. If you really want one, you'll find out how to get it. Most of the applicant pool isn't competitive



Okay?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests