asking for LOR over summer break...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HOV

asking for LOR over summer break...

Postby HOV » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:31 pm

i've done a preliminary search and i can't seem to find an answer to this question. since i'll be applying to law schools this upcoming cycle, i should have already gotten my LOR's in order before summer break started.

obviously i didn't since i am here writing this now. the professors that i was going to ask for LOR's seem to be living outside the state in which they teach for the better part of this summer. would it be unbecoming of me to approach and ask them to write a LOR via email? any ideas?

thanks in advance.

manbearwig

Re: asking for LOR over summer break...

Postby manbearwig » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Both of the professors I asked were from my time abroad, so they were in another country. I did everything over email. I think around now this time last year, I shot them a quick email asking if they'd be willing to write me a letter once school started (I was worried about them being busy on vacation and all). Both said they would, so in late August I emailed them again with my formal request. I attached my resume, a list of activities I'm in, my unofficial transcript, and a PDF of the LOR form to the email. I also told them I could mail or fax or email them anything else they needed. Both were cool with what I sent, and LSAC processed their letters pretty quickly. (I'm not sure if the faxed or mailed them.)

HOV

Postby HOV » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:12 pm

much appreciated. i think the particular professors i have in mind will be alright with it as well.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 pm

manbearwig wrote:Both of the professors I asked were from my time abroad, so they were in another country. I did everything over email. I think around now this time last year, I shot them a quick email asking if they'd be willing to write me a letter once school started (I was worried about them being busy on vacation and all). Both said they would, so in late August I emailed them again with my formal request. I attached my resume, a list of activities I'm in, my unofficial transcript, and a PDF of the LOR form to the email. I also told them I could mail or fax or email them anything else they needed. Both were cool with what I sent, and LSAC processed their letters pretty quickly. (I'm not sure if the faxed or mailed them.)

So you didn't sign off to waive your rights?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 pm

CastleRock wrote:
manbearwig wrote:Both of the professors I asked were from my time abroad, so they were in another country. I did everything over email. I think around now this time last year, I shot them a quick email asking if they'd be willing to write me a letter once school started (I was worried about them being busy on vacation and all). Both said they would, so in late August I emailed them again with my formal request. I attached my resume, a list of activities I'm in, my unofficial transcript, and a PDF of the LOR form to the email. I also told them I could mail or fax or email them anything else they needed. Both were cool with what I sent, and LSAC processed their letters pretty quickly. (I'm not sure if the faxed or mailed them.)

I printed out the LOR forms, signed them, and then scanned them and turned them into a pdf.

habanero

Postby habanero » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:11 pm

manbearwig wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

I printed out the LOR forms, signed them, and then scanned them and turned them into a pdf.

Is it required that you send them your resume, unofficial transcripts and so forth? My professor just asked me to send her the form and a pre-addressed envelope to LSAC? Also, LSAC asks that you first assign the LORs to the schools you want the letter to be sent, but I haven't finalized my list. Is that a problem? Can I give the printed out form to my prof before completing my list?

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:38 pm

habanero wrote:
manbearwig wrote:
CastleRock wrote:

Is it required that you send them your resume, unofficial transcripts and so forth? My professor just asked me to send her the form and a pre-addressed envelope to LSAC? Also, LSAC asks that you first assign the LORs to the schools you want the letter to be sent, but I haven't finalized my list. Is that a problem? Can I give the printed out form to my prof before completing my list?

I sent them all that stuff in part because one asked for it and I've heard that LOR writers like having that kind of stuff because it makes it easier for them to personalize the letters. Also, because I was doing everything over email, I wouldn't have the chance to go and talk with them in person.

You can add as many LORs as you want as you go. Only when you start adding and applying to schools do you need to assigned individual letters to each one.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 pm

habanero wrote:

No, not required, but one of my recommenders asked for a list of items specifically and my other asked for "anything and everything that will help and give me guidance" so I sent both the forms, my resume, unofficial transcript, draft of personal essay, a short ditty about why I was doing what I was doing and my goals, and a link to a blog answer by the deans at the top schools (Columbia, Chicago, Yale, etc.) describing what they want to see in a rec letter/what questions they want answered in case my recommenders weren't sure about what to do for a law school rec.

habanero

Postby habanero » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:36 pm

I have added schools, so that must be why it's asking me to assign the letters (plus there's a "follow this..." order to doing thigns that indicates as much). So even though I can assign my LORs to the schools on my list, it isn't necessary, right?

I didn't think that I was required to send all that info, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should at least offer. My professor didn't seem interested in that stuff, so...

Thanks for the input, btw.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”