Dean's Certificates & Timing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Adjudicator

Dean's Certificates & Timing

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:23 pm

University of Washington requires "Form B," which is one of those pesky Dean's certificate things. Does anyone have any tips on how to proceed with this? I want my application to go complete as early as possible, but what happens if they receive the Form B too early?

Any other advice about Dean's certificates? I called my undergraduate school and nobody was even sure who needs to fill it out. They forwarded me around in a circle a few times.

rundoxierun

Re: Dean's Certificates & Timing

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Adjudicator wrote:University of Washington requires "Form B," which is one of those pesky Dean's certificate things. Does anyone have any tips on how to proceed with this? I want my application to go complete as early as possible, but what happens if they receive the Form B too early?

Any other advice about Dean's certificates? I called my undergraduate school and nobody was even sure who needs to fill it out. They forwarded me around in a circle a few times.

I asked Stanford about this and they told me to note what cycle it is for if sent before August. Dont know about Washington in particular, shoot them an email.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Yeah, I did email Washington, and just in case anyone else is wondering, they told me that they do accept it prior to the beginning of the admissions cycle - just make sure to note what cycle it is for.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:00 am

What office of the University are we supposed to turn these in to? I already got my transcript in from the Registrar's office, i'm hoping they don't charge me another $10 to process the Dean's Certification form.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:07 am

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:What office of the University are we supposed to turn these in to? I already got my transcript in from the Registrar's office, i'm hoping they don't charge me another $10 to process the Dean's Certification form.

Your University charged you for transcripts?? Please tell me you graduated a long time ago so they had to special order them or something.. but at my school you are supposed to talk to the office of Judicial and Ethics or something like that. It will vary by school, get ready to send out multiple e-mails to find out. My school's pre-law advisor had no idea.

yeahyeah2121

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:29 am

If you're able, handle this in person. At my school getting the form filled out meant bouncing back and forth from the registrar (they give you the form and fill out the "academic sanctions" area) and the Office of Student Conduct. It only took me five minutes because I walked from office to office, but I was told that had I not come in, my requests would have been MAILED to both offices (in the same building) and could have taken weeks. Point is, at least from my experience it's pretty annoying process and involves multiple departments. Do what you can to be there to troubleshoot.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Awesome, Thanks I'm going to walk over today with the form and see what I can do. And yes, my school did charge me for a transcript (not even an old one, I'm going to be a senior!). Jealous you got yours for free.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:16 pm

how do we know if the schools we're applying to require Dean's certificates?

Heat

Postby Heat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Mine is done right through the pre-law department. My pre-law advisor writes it I guess. I haven't actually gone through the process of getting one (and I'm not sure I'll have to) but he said it was a relatively simply process just a little time consuming for them as they have to write the letter.

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 am

Just wanted to check in with any other UWash hopefuls...where do we find "Form B"? I went on the application website and couldn't find it there.

Thanks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am

Perch wrote:Just wanted to check in with any other UWash hopefuls...where do we find "Form B"? I went on the application website and couldn't find it there.

Thanks.

It's usually in the "Supplemental Forms" section, click the button right under the "Main Application" button.

2010trojan

Postby 2010trojan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

Let me get this straight:
I'm planning on applying to all T-14 except HYS.
I don't have any disciplinary issues (aka I won't check yes in any of the boxes about that stuff).
Thus, I don't have to worry about dean's certificates until I am accepted somewhere, yes?

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 am

2010trojan wrote:Let me get this straight:
I don't have any disciplinary issues (aka I won't check yes in any of the boxes about that stuff).
Thus, I don't have to worry about dean's certificates until I am accepted somewhere, yes?

Correct, unless Berkeley requires something (that's the only one I'm not applying to so I don't know anything about its app.) The only Certification Form I have gotten is for Stanford.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am

Also, re: OP - I got mine sent to Stanford a while ago, and haven't applied yet. Hoping there's no such thing as too early. :D I don't think timing matters, but we'll see.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:41 am

eskimo wrote:

Correct, unless Berkeley requires something (that's the only one I'm not applying to so I don't know anything about its app.) The only Certification Form I have gotten is for Stanford.

Berkeley does not require certification. Only Stanford and Yale (new this year).

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:15 am

eskimo wrote:Also, re: OP - I got mine sent to Stanford a while ago, and haven't applied yet. Hoping there's no such thing as too early. :D I don't think timing matters, but we'll see.

I'm pretty sure this is correct. I had my school send my Dean's Cert to Stanford roughly three weeks or so before I actually submitted my application. So it ended up complete after only a couple of days.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
eskimo wrote:

Berkeley does not require certification. Only Stanford and Yale (new this year).

What about Cornell...

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:18 am

kk19131 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
eskimo wrote:

What about Cornell...

I don't think Cornell requires one either.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 am

kk19131 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Berkeley does not require certification. Only Stanford and Yale (new this year).

What about Cornell...

Cornell's FAQ wrote:Does Cornell Law require a Dean's Certification with the application?

A Dean's Certification is not required as part of your application for admission unless you answered "yes" to question 22 on your application. If you answered "yes" to this question, please submit the Dean's Certification to an official from the institution where the infraction occurred or is pending and has access to your disciplinary records. The Dean's Certification must be sent directly to Cornell Law School. You can not submit the Dean's Certification through the Law School report service.

All admitted students must submit a completed Dean's Certification Form to the Admissions Office by the deadline of June 15, 2011. Failure to submit a completed Dean's Certification by the June 15 deadline can constitute grounds for an admitted student to lose their place in the first year class. More information about this form will be provided upon admission.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:36 am

I think more than 1 school requires one if admitted, but only S/Y requires one(s) with the application.

I also applied to UT and UCLA which do not require them.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Perch wrote:Just wanted to check in with any other UWash hopefuls...where do we find "Form B"? I went on the application website and couldn't find it there.

Thanks.

It's usually in the "Supplemental Forms" section, click the button right under the "Main Application" button.

Did you apply to UW? There is no supplemental form that I recall for UW.

This thread is really confusing to me, because I finished my UW application a few weeks ago and definitely completely no dean's form. Maybe they stopped requiring it?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Bumi wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Thanks.

Did you apply to UW? There is no supplemental form that I recall for UW.

This thread is really confusing to me, because I finished my UW application a few weeks ago and definitely completely no dean's form. Maybe they stopped requiring it?

Sorry I didn't, I just presumed that's where it always is.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

Form B is only for transfer applicants, not J.D. applicants.

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm

im_blue wrote:Form B is only for transfer applicants, not J.D. applicants.

Is Form B from Stanford the dean's cert? If so, I thought it was required for JD applicants. I certainly sent in a dean's cert.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Knockglock wrote:
im_blue wrote:Form B is only for transfer applicants, not J.D. applicants.

Is Form B from Stanford the dean's cert? If so, I thought it was required for JD applicants. I certainly sent in a dean's cert.

They're talking about UWashington.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”