A bird in the hand...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:31 pm

dominkay wrote:I am changing my answer. Go to Penn. Maybe you could write an addendum explaining away one lower score, but two? At a school that averages? I think you're out.

Do they really average? Everything says, anecdotally, that they don't. Although you're right, two scores are harder to explain than one. I'm just almost positive P will not give me any merit $ if I accept this deal, because if they're already got me, they don't need to incentivize me. Not that I would get a shitton of $ anyway, but it would be great not to have to pay sticker...

lawls
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:52 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawls » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:52 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
dominkay wrote:I am changing my answer. Go to Penn. Maybe you could write an addendum explaining away one lower score, but two? At a school that averages? I think you're out.

Do they really average? Everything says, anecdotally, that they don't. Although you're right, two scores are harder to explain than one. I'm just almost positive P will not give me any merit $ if I accept this deal, because if they're already got me, they don't need to incentivize me. Not that I would get a shitton of $ anyway, but it would be great not to have to pay sticker...


They don't average exactly but they certainly do take into consideration all LSAT scores. 2 164s will affect your cycle at some schools, and NYU seems to be one of them.

User avatar
dominkay
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby dominkay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:58 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
dominkay wrote:I am changing my answer. Go to Penn. Maybe you could write an addendum explaining away one lower score, but two? At a school that averages? I think you're out.

Do they really average? Everything says, anecdotally, that they don't. Although you're right, two scores are harder to explain than one. I'm just almost positive P will not give me any merit $ if I accept this deal, because if they're already got me, they don't need to incentivize me. Not that I would get a shitton of $ anyway, but it would be great not to have to pay sticker...


They might not strictly average, but I think having taken the LSAT three times will hurt you more at a school that claims to average than a school that says they do not. I could easily see the adcomm at NYU concluding that 164 is more indicative of your ability, since you got that score twice (and you're already such a borderline candidate). What can you say to dissuade them?

We're basically numbers twins (although I only took the LSAT once), and I don't think you're likely to get money anywhere ranked higher than M (and probably not at V).

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:13 pm

dominkay wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
dominkay wrote:I am changing my answer. Go to Penn. Maybe you could write an addendum explaining away one lower score, but two? At a school that averages? I think you're out.

Do they really average? Everything says, anecdotally, that they don't. Although you're right, two scores are harder to explain than one. I'm just almost positive P will not give me any merit $ if I accept this deal, because if they're already got me, they don't need to incentivize me. Not that I would get a shitton of $ anyway, but it would be great not to have to pay sticker...


They might not strictly average, but I think having taken the LSAT three times will hurt you more at a school that claims to average than a school that says they do not. I could easily see the adcomm at NYU concluding that 164 is more indicative of your ability, since you got that score twice (and you're already such a borderline candidate). What can you say to dissuade them?

We're basically numbers twins (although I only took the LSAT once), and I don't think you're likely to get money anywhere ranked higher than M (and probably not at V).

Haha idk. I can say PLEASE BRO I GOT STRAIGHT 180S ON ALL MY PTS AND THEN GOT STUNG BY A HORNET ON BOTH 164 DAYS. It doesn't matter what I say really... basically I severely underperformed my PTs on the first 2, the high PTs being the only reason I took it a 3rd time. Luckily it worked out. I agree that $ at P and V looks unlikely too.

Maybe I'm leaning back towards accepting. And hey, no app fees that way...

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby thechee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:22 pm

I also vote go to P. You may have a chance at NYU, but you'll end up paying sticker. I don't think the gap between P and NYU is that massive to warrant giving up your guaranteed spot at Penn.

Plus, COL in Philly is way way cheaper than NYC.

Out of curiosity, is there any hard evidence to show that NYU has been outplacing Penn by a significant margin?

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

thechee wrote:I also vote go to P. You may have a chance at NYU, but you'll end up paying sticker. I don't think the gap between P and NYU is that massive to warrant giving up your guaranteed spot at Penn.

Plus, COL in Philly is way way cheaper than NYC.

Out of curiosity, is there any hard evidence to show that NYU has been outplacing Penn by a significant margin?

No hard data from Penn yet, but Michigan has reported to be ~50%, and most seem to agree Penn will be closer to that number than to CCN's ~70%.

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby thechee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:40 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
thechee wrote:I also vote go to P. You may have a chance at NYU, but you'll end up paying sticker. I don't think the gap between P and NYU is that massive to warrant giving up your guaranteed spot at Penn.

Plus, COL in Philly is way way cheaper than NYC.

Out of curiosity, is there any hard evidence to show that NYU has been outplacing Penn by a significant margin?

No hard data from Penn yet, but Michigan has reported to be ~50%, and most seem to agree Penn will be closer to that number than to CCN's ~70%.


Gotcha. So there are stats for NYU out there? CLS and Chi at ~70% isn't surprising, but I'm somewhat surprised that NYU, with its huge class size, is also in that range.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:10 pm

thechee wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
thechee wrote:I also vote go to P. You may have a chance at NYU, but you'll end up paying sticker. I don't think the gap between P and NYU is that massive to warrant giving up your guaranteed spot at Penn.

Plus, COL in Philly is way way cheaper than NYC.

Out of curiosity, is there any hard evidence to show that NYU has been outplacing Penn by a significant margin?

No hard data from Penn yet, but Michigan has reported to be ~50%, and most seem to agree Penn will be closer to that number than to CCN's ~70%.


Gotcha. So there are stats for NYU out there? CLS and Chi at ~70% isn't surprising, but I'm somewhat surprised that NYU, with its huge class size, is also in that range.

I'm just going off of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=123174&p=3279663#p3279663

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby thechee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 pm

lawschoollll wrote:
thechee wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
thechee wrote:I also vote go to P. You may have a chance at NYU, but you'll end up paying sticker. I don't think the gap between P and NYU is that massive to warrant giving up your guaranteed spot at Penn.

Plus, COL in Philly is way way cheaper than NYC.

Out of curiosity, is there any hard evidence to show that NYU has been outplacing Penn by a significant margin?

No hard data from Penn yet, but Michigan has reported to be ~50%, and most seem to agree Penn will be closer to that number than to CCN's ~70%.


Gotcha. So there are stats for NYU out there? CLS and Chi at ~70% isn't surprising, but I'm somewhat surprised that NYU, with its huge class size, is also in that range.

I'm just going off of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=123174&p=3279663#p3279663


I see the 69% figure listed on a chart for NYU, but where does that stat come from?

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm

thechee wrote:I see the 69% figure listed on a chart for NYU, but where does that stat come from?

Not sure, but I think all the figures listed are from current students with access to school-circulated lists of OCI placement.

User avatar
juevonate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby juevonate » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:09 pm

Don't forget that by putting off a year, you're putting off a year of hopefully six figure income that you could be using to pay off your debt.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you applied in February. Apply in September, and I bet you get into all of MVP with money.

Am I correct in that you applied/didn't get your new LSAT score until this February?

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 pm

juevonate wrote:Don't forget that by putting off a year, you're putting off a year of hopefully six figure income that you could be using to pay off your debt.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you applied in February. Apply in September, and I bet you get into all of MVP with money.

Am I correct in that you applied/didn't get your new LSAT score until this February?

That's right; didn't apply until I got the new LSAT in Feb., so barely even made the app deadlines. The admission to P is for Fall 2011 anyway, so I'm putting off a year regardless.

Also, with my numbers, it really doesn't seem like I'd get $ anywhere except maybe a little bit at M.

thechee
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 am

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby thechee » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:41 am

lawschoollll wrote:
juevonate wrote:Don't forget that by putting off a year, you're putting off a year of hopefully six figure income that you could be using to pay off your debt.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you applied in February. Apply in September, and I bet you get into all of MVP with money.

Am I correct in that you applied/didn't get your new LSAT score until this February?

That's right; didn't apply until I got the new LSAT in Feb., so barely even made the app deadlines. The admission to P is for Fall 2011 anyway, so I'm putting off a year regardless.

Also, with my numbers, it really doesn't seem like I'd get $ anywhere except maybe a little bit at M.


If you refuse P now, you probably won't get in the second time around. You'll likely get M, but V has been so incredibly unpredictable ever since starting their ridiculous ED program last year. I got M (w/30k, P (w/42k), and B, but WL at V.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:52 pm

thechee wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:
juevonate wrote:Don't forget that by putting off a year, you're putting off a year of hopefully six figure income that you could be using to pay off your debt.

On the other hand, it also sounds like you applied in February. Apply in September, and I bet you get into all of MVP with money.

Am I correct in that you applied/didn't get your new LSAT score until this February?

That's right; didn't apply until I got the new LSAT in Feb., so barely even made the app deadlines. The admission to P is for Fall 2011 anyway, so I'm putting off a year regardless.

Also, with my numbers, it really doesn't seem like I'd get $ anywhere except maybe a little bit at M.


If you refuse P now, you probably won't get in the second time around. You'll likely get M, but V has been so incredibly unpredictable ever since starting their ridiculous ED program last year. I got M (w/30k, P (w/42k), and B, but WL at V.

Yea, I tend to agree with this, and it scares me. If I refuse now and re-apply, I'm not sure what would make P think that I'd come if admitted again.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:36 am

So for those who know more about UVa's ED then I do, am I a pretty good bet with my numbers (172/3.52)?

I am in-state fwiw.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby czelede » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 am

lawschoollll wrote:So for those who know more about UVa's ED then I do, am I a pretty good bet with my numbers (172/3.52)?

I am in-state fwiw.


You look safe for UVa's ED, esp with that in-state ticket.

The fact that the school is Penn would make me wary too, as they are extremely protective of their "offers extended/offers accepted" ratio. I think if you could explain the financial consideration to them it would make a lot more sense...however, if they still weren't willing to offer you money during the 2010-2011 cycle they might just be inclined to WL you since you had turned them down before without $.

lawschoollll
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby lawschoollll » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am

czelede wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:So for those who know more about UVa's ED then I do, am I a pretty good bet with my numbers (172/3.52)?

I am in-state fwiw.


You look safe for UVa's ED, esp with that in-state ticket.

The fact that the school is Penn would make me wary too, as they are extremely protective of their "offers extended/offers accepted" ratio. I think if you could explain the financial consideration to them it would make a lot more sense...however, if they still weren't willing to offer you money during the 2010-2011 cycle they might just be inclined to WL you since you had turned them down before without $.

Thanks. Yea, I'm pretty sure Penn will WL/reject me if I turn this down, especially I'm not really a candidate for $ anyway. However, it's $18K cheaper over 3 years to go to UVA in-state even without any scholly $, and re-applying would also give me the opportunity to try to get money from lower T14s or to get into one of CN with an early ED, an opportunities that I wouldn't have were I to take P's offer.

I am so, so wary of paying sticker at anything below T6 ITE. I seriously don't think I could stomach it.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: A bird in the hand...?

Postby czelede » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 am

lawschoollll wrote:
czelede wrote:
lawschoollll wrote:So for those who know more about UVa's ED then I do, am I a pretty good bet with my numbers (172/3.52)?

I am in-state fwiw.


You look safe for UVa's ED, esp with that in-state ticket.

The fact that the school is Penn would make me wary too, as they are extremely protective of their "offers extended/offers accepted" ratio. I think if you could explain the financial consideration to them it would make a lot more sense...however, if they still weren't willing to offer you money during the 2010-2011 cycle they might just be inclined to WL you since you had turned them down before without $.

Thanks. Yea, I'm pretty sure Penn will WL/reject me if I turn this down, especially I'm not really a candidate for $ anyway. However, it's $18K cheaper over 3 years to go to UVA in-state even without any scholly $, and re-applying would also give me the opportunity to try to get money from lower T14s or to get into one of CN with an early ED, an opportunities that I wouldn't have were I to take P's offer.

I am so, so wary of paying sticker at anything below T6 ITE. I seriously don't think I could stomach it.



Different people are definitely comfortable with different risks (some would definitely pay sticker for MVP, as statistics show many already are). If $$ is a big factor for you I would wait and reapply. Law school is such a huge decision and I personally think it's really important to go somewhere you are very satisfied and content with attending. If going through Penn 1L at sticker would stress you out more than necessary, definitely re-apply. I think you could get $ from the lower T14 or at the very least save some $ at UVa (did you factor in the lower COL too?), since MVP are about equal in placement.

In such a case I would not advocate Penn unless you genuinely love the school and feel you could do well/be happy/not regret not having gone for CCN.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests