Is it possible to defer enrollment after acceptance?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
beadedcortinas

Is it possible to defer enrollment after acceptance?

Postby beadedcortinas » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm entering my final year of college--took the LSATs in June and got a 173, so I'm anticipating acceptance at some great schools. However, I'm sort of toying around the idea of living in Spain for a year after graduation to improve my Spanish and such, so I was wondering if anyone knows if most/some law schools give you the option of deferring enrollment for a year? I'd really like to apply in the fall and be set, but then take a year off for travel. I've been poking around websites but I can't seem to find anything. Anyone know?

Knock

Re: Is it possible to defer enrollment after acceptance?

Postby Knock » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:03 pm

beadedcortinas wrote:I'm entering my final year of college--took the LSATs in June and got a 173, so I'm anticipating acceptance at some great schools. However, I'm sort of toying around the idea of living in Spain for a year after graduation to improve my Spanish and such, so I was wondering if anyone knows if most/some law schools give you the option of deferring enrollment for a year? I'd really like to apply in the fall and be set, but then take a year off for travel. I've been poking around websites but I can't seem to find anything. Anyone know?

Yes. Usually you have to write a written request and provide a valid reason, and sometimes your request may be denied. It's determined on a case by case basis depending on the school and the reason.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 pm

From what I've heard, you usually need a pretty good reason for deferring, like acceptance to the peace corp or military deployment. Be warned that backpacking through Europe for a year may not count as a good reason. Can you look into actual programs in Spain, or maybe consider something like a Fulbright? Law schools would probably treat those more seriously then just happy fun travel time. (Even if you tell the schools you plan on working or studying or whatever, if you can't show them definite plans, the question is will they believe you.)

dood

Postby dood » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:58 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Would TFA service be considered a good reason?

beadedcortinas

Postby beadedcortinas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:26 am

Ah thanks so much everyone. Yeah, I want to start looking into Fulbrights or something. I'm a philosophy major, and Spanish philosophy is actually really interesting, but my college doesn't offer any classes on it. I've actually just done a bit of research and I'm finding a lot of programs, so I'll start looking into those. Thanks so much for the info!

rolark

Postby rolark » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

I deferred my admission to Michigan for a year-long position overseas with little problem. I'm unsure of policies at other schools, but at Michigan your scholarship award remains intact. Of course, all this is decided on a case-by-case basis and depends on the school, so I definitely recommend e-mailing the admissions office to get some sense of the criteria they use to grant deferrals. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your applications!

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:14 am

cinefile 17 wrote:Would TFA service be considered a good reason?

A lot of schools specifically state that Teach For America is an acceptable reason to defer admission, or at least gives you a much better chance ast deferring admission. For example:

Yale:
http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/defermentofadmission.htm wrote:Yale Law School grants a limited number of one-year deferrals. In exceptional cases, such as foreign academic scholarships or Teach for America, we may grant a two-year deferral. More information about deferrals is included in the materials sent to admitted students. Transfer applicants and applicants admitted from the waitlist are not eligible for deferrals.

Harvard:
http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/apply/the-application-process/jdfaq.html wrote:What kind of partnership do you have with Teach For America ?
Because of our continued interest in and respect for Teach For America corps members and alumni, we have created a new (non-financial) award for Teach For America alumni, to be granted to two members of the entering class each year on the basis of their commitment to public service and a willingness to engage in public service work and recruiting projects at Harvard Law School. These two students will be designated Teach For America Scholars, and will be asked to serve as Public Service Admissions Ambassadors (a position which comes with a small stipend). We also grant a 2-year deferral to anyone who is admitted to HLS and plans to serve out a commitment to Teach For America.

Chicago:
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospectives/faqs/admissionsprocess wrote:Does the Law School offer deferred admission?
Admission is granted only for the year for which you apply. However, the Admissions Committee considers requests for deferred admission on a case-by-case basis and is often willing to grant deferrals under appropriate circumstances. (We recognize that fellowships, graduate programs, and other life circumstances may necessitate delaying matriculation for one or two years.) In order accept an offer of deferment, you must withdraw your applications from all other law schools and may not seek deferred admission elsewhere. You also may not apply to other law schools while deferred. Deferment requests for admitted students committed to participating in Teach for America will automatically be granted when requested.

Penn
http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd/faq.html wrote:Q. May I defer my admission?
If you are admitted and wish to defer your admission, you must submit a written request to the Dean of Admissions stating your reasons for wanting the deferral. One-year deferrals are typically granted for reasons such as work, finances, completion of a graduate program, or extenuating circumstances, such as illness or injury. Two-year deferrals are granted only if you are enrolled in a two-year program such as Teach for America, Peace Corps, or have a military commitment.

And so on. Check with the school, there's a good chance that they offer either automatic deferrals for TFA or at least look on it favorably when considering a deferral request.

lawls

Postby lawls » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 pm

The main thing you want to keep in mind is to request a deferral before you submit your seat deposit; it is much easier to get a deferral before they have filled the incoming class (at most schools, anyway).

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 pm

I'm actually in a similar position - I want to apply this fall and be "set", but may only matriculate 2 years after (1 year being the norm). My reason is that I am not sure if I want to pursue JD, MBA, or both, and I think if I do the JD/MBA or MBA I need another year's worth of work experience.

I had 2 questions -

1) Do they always make you send in the seat deposit? How much is it? Basically, I guess I'm asking if I can "reserve" a spot at a couple of schools, so I can keep those schools open for MBA consideration, if that makes sense.

2) What's the difficulty level to get reaccepted somewhere that you were accepted before, assuming you did something productive with the extra year? Do schools frown on that?

lawls

Postby lawls » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Most deferrals are binding. so you'll have to commit to the school to get one. If you want to keep your options open, don't apply this cycle. Re-applying to a school that accepted you is often ok but it can look like you are trying for a better school--and thus don't want to attend (which can lead to a waitlist).

JTTP

Postby JTTP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:39 am

Hi,

I was wondering what do you think about a defferal to go do a one year Master's program? Would it make a difference if the school is on the same state? :)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”