Columbia ED and Financial Aid Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does Columbia ED = No Financial Aid?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9

etlien

Bronze

Columbia ED and Financial Aid

Post by etlien » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:21 am

The general consensus on here is that ED = no financial aid.

However, I searched Columbia ED Financial Aid and found this thread :http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=115273, where some posters got generous packages despite being ED.

Does anyone else have experience with Columbia ED and Financial Aid? And in general, how need-based/merit-based is Columbia Financial Aid?

im_blue

Gold

Re: Columbia ED and Financial Aid

Post by im_blue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:24 am

Give us your numbers and we'll tell you how generous Columbia will be with financial aid. Out of 34 ED admits on LSN over the past 3 years, only 1 URM was offered financial aid.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:37 am

im_blue wrote:Give us your numbers and we'll tell you how generous Columbia will be with financial aid. Out of 34 ED admits on LSN over the past 3 years, only 1 URM was offered financial aid.
3.74/171 (highest)/166 (average). CLS averages right?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:52 am

etlien wrote:
im_blue wrote:Give us your numbers and we'll tell you how generous Columbia will be with financial aid. Out of 34 ED admits on LSN over the past 3 years, only 1 URM was offered financial aid.
CLS claims to consider the entire LSAT testing history, but I think they should take the highest for significant increases like yours. On LSN, 3.7x/171 applicants were 4 for 19 = 21% this year. ED will help some, but given that you're still less than 50/50 to even get in, I'd say you should plan to pay sticker.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:10 am

im_blue wrote:
etlien wrote:
CLS claims to consider the entire LSAT testing history, but I think they should take the highest for significant increases like yours. On LSN, 3.7x/171 applicants were 4 for 19 = 21% this year. ED will help some, but given that you're still less than 50/50 to even get in, I'd say you should plan to pay sticker.
I think it really depends on on how competitive the next cycle is. Most of the law school predictors say I have a 45-55% chance at CLS, but looking at LSN's graph for this year, I would be in a sea of yellow. Its probably a function of this cycle being so competitive. Hopefully next cycle will not be as competitive and I think it won't given the economy and job market is picking up nicely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 am

etlien wrote:
im_blue wrote:
etlien wrote:
I think it really depends on on how competitive the next cycle is. Most of the law school predictors say I have a 45-55% chance at CLS, but looking at LSN's graph for this year, I would be in a sea of yellow. Its probably a function of this cycle being so competitive. Hopefully next cycle will not be as competitive and I think it won't given the economy and job market is picking up nicely.
Next cycle going to be just as competitive if not more so

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:07 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
etlien wrote:
im_blue wrote:
etlien wrote:
Next cycle going to be just as competitive if not more so
Why?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Economy is still horrendous. People are still losing jobs and those coming out of college still can't find jobs. Lotsa people are still turning to law school

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:35 pm

Cilent21 wrote:Economy is still horrendous. People are still losing jobs and those coming out of college still can't find jobs. Lotsa people are still turning to law school
My experiences have been the opposite. Graduated last year and the market was so terrible I didn't get interviews for months. Now I am negotiating a position that is double my current pay on base alone...but that job market might be completely different for me since I am not in the States...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:40 pm

From your numbers, I doubt you would get any merit aid. However, from my personal experience as an ED acceptance the need-based aid was quite generous.

etlien

Bronze

Post by etlien » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:10 am

swc65 wrote:From your numbers, I doubt you would get any merit aid. However, from my personal experience as an ED acceptance the need-based aid was quite generous.
Would they be less generous with internationals?

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:27 pm

etlien wrote:
swc65 wrote:From your numbers, I doubt you would get any merit aid. However, from my personal experience as an ED acceptance the need-based aid was quite generous.
Would they be less generous with internationals?

I have no clue! Sorry for not being more help :)

Gold

Post by 094320 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”