Marathons in Resume

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
YCrevolution

Gold
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:36 pm

..

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Resume? Heck no.

If you qualified for the Olympic trials then yes, but everyone and their mom runs marathons nowadays

User avatar
esq

Silver
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby esq » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 am

Perfect, I'll list that my baby mama ran it too - I knew that I was forgetting something!

And Lord Protector - lawls, I like your advice. I've listed it as:

Runner, Rock 'n' Roll San Diego '08 and LA '09 Marathons

Put it under Activities and Organizations, which lists my undergrad extracurricular. Do you really think that I need to list the charities though? I think it is fairly common knowledge that running in a marathon usually benefits a cancer society of some sort.

270910

Gold
Posts: 2431
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby 270910 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:32 am

No need to list the charities.

The interests / hobbies / bullshit section on your resume is a very context specific issue. It all depends on what else is or isn't on your resume, what you need to convey, etc. But yeah, marathon is an interesting, conversation worthy, flattering hobby / interest. Go for it.

094320

Gold
Posts: 4086
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby 094320 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:44 pm

..

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:46 pm

I guess i'm the minority here. But I feel like it would be the equivalent of "I'm pretty good at racquetball", just doesn't seem like something worth mentioning on a resume. If it was specifically for a fundraiser then that's different. (Note: there's a difference between someone raising money for cancer by running a marathon than than participating in a marathon that raises money for cancer)

sumus romani

Silver
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby sumus romani » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 pm

delBarco wrote:I guess i'm the minority here. But I feel like it would be the equivalent of "I'm pretty good at racquetball", just doesn't seem like something worth mentioning on a resume. If it was specifically for a fundraiser then that's different. (Note: there's a difference between someone raising money for cancer by running a marathon than than participating in a marathon that raises money for cancer)



There is a cache with marathons that one does not associate with racquetball. Having said that, I didn't put my marathons on my resume. I would recommend sub 2:30 guys and 3:00 gals do though, since they have likely placed quite high in some lesser marathons. Also, these fundraiser-marathons are notorious for being inefficient uses of charity money. I doubt adcomms know that, but it just is not a good way to raise money for a cause.

User avatar
prezidentv8

Gold
Posts: 2823
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Add it unless the space you use to write it bumps off something more important. The end.


FTW

lawls

Bronze
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:52 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby lawls » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:25 am

esq wrote:Perfect, I'll list that my baby mama ran it too - I knew that I was forgetting something!

And Lord Protector - lawls, I like your advice. I've listed it as:

Runner, Rock 'n' Roll San Diego '08 and LA '09 Marathons

Put it under Activities and Organizations, which lists my undergrad extracurricular. Do you really think that I need to list the charities though? I think it is fairly common knowledge that running in a marathon usually benefits a cancer society of some sort.


Yah, don't bother with the charities... Activities section works if it isn't pushing out something more important.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

sumus romani wrote:
delBarco wrote:I guess i'm the minority here. But I feel like it would be the equivalent of "I'm pretty good at racquetball", just doesn't seem like something worth mentioning on a resume. If it was specifically for a fundraiser then that's different. (Note: there's a difference between someone raising money for cancer by running a marathon than than participating in a marathon that raises money for cancer)



There is a cache with marathons that one does not associate with racquetball. Having said that, I didn't put my marathons on my resume. I would recommend sub 2:30 guys and 3:00 gals do though, since they have likely placed quite high in some lesser marathons. Also, these fundraiser-marathons are notorious for being inefficient uses of charity money. I doubt adcomms know that, but it just is not a good way to raise money for a cause.


See, I really don't think there is anymore. Marathoning has become so participatory, it takes menial dedication and even less true physical fitness to "just finish" one nowadays. I would agree with your statements about faster runners, if you're winning marathons then it might be worth it, or if you run a 2:22 and qualify for the olympic marathon trials then that's something worth talking about.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre

Silver
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby TheBigMediocre » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 am

I thought about adding my 225 repetitions bench, vert, and 40 time to my resume so firms know that I'm a workout warrior in addition to my dazzling college (of law) career.

jdhonest

Bronze
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby jdhonest » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 am

delBarco wrote:
sumus romani wrote:
delBarco wrote:I guess i'm the minority here. But I feel like it would be the equivalent of "I'm pretty good at racquetball", just doesn't seem like something worth mentioning on a resume. If it was specifically for a fundraiser then that's different. (Note: there's a difference between someone raising money for cancer by running a marathon than than participating in a marathon that raises money for cancer)



There is a cache with marathons that one does not associate with racquetball. Having said that, I didn't put my marathons on my resume. I would recommend sub 2:30 guys and 3:00 gals do though, since they have likely placed quite high in some lesser marathons. Also, these fundraiser-marathons are notorious for being inefficient uses of charity money. I doubt adcomms know that, but it just is not a good way to raise money for a cause.


See, I really don't think there is anymore. Marathoning has become so participatory, it takes menial dedication and even less true physical fitness to "just finish" one nowadays. I would agree with your statements about faster runners, if you're winning marathons then it might be worth it, or if you run a 2:22 and qualify for the olympic marathon trials then that's something worth talking about.


I'm starting to get the impression that delBarco has never actually worked in a large law firm or had his resume used to get a job. I've worked in two now, and I say put it on the resume if 1) it is an interest and 2) its something you would care to discuss with other attorneys at the firm whom you barely know.

Delbarco, you're whole attitude about this reeks of someone is doing their best to "subtly" imply how incredible athletic you are without coming off as a "I'm so impressive and cool, I'm not even impressed by my own accomplishment...which are definitely more impressive than yours" kind of douche. Stop it and heed my advice. As someone who knows at least 2 dozen lawyers who enjoy running, your attitude about menial dedication and that crap will not win you any fans. You'll come off sounding like a huge douche if you ever had the chance to talk about running with about 98% of running population. Grow and shut up about it.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:30 am

jdhonest wrote:
I'm starting to get the impression that delBarco has never actually worked in a large law firm or had his resume used to get a job. I've worked in two now, and I say put it on the resume if 1) it is an interest and 2) its something you would care to discuss with other attorneys at the firm whom you barely know.

Delbarco, you're whole attitude about this reeks of someone is doing their best to "subtly" imply how incredible athletic you are without coming off as a "I'm so impressive and cool, I'm not even impressed by my own accomplishment...which are definitely more impressive than yours" kind of douche. Stop it and heed my advice. As someone who knows at least 2 dozen lawyers who enjoy running, your attitude about menial dedication and that crap will not win you any fans. You'll come off sounding like a huge douche if you ever had the chance to talk about running with about 98% of running population. Grow and shut up about it.


Well i've definitely never worked in a law firm before. I have no clue how that is relevant, or the fact that it's something you can discuss with other attorneys is relevant, when OP is sending in a law school resume. Not a job interview resume.

I'm sorry you're so easily offended, reading things that i'm not at all implying. But when you're putting that in on a law school tailored resume, adcomms (who probably won't be in contact with you) won't see it as a point of conversation, they'll see it exactly as it is: someone who has participated in two marathons. It just doesn't seem relevant unless it's working as a soft factor. But good lord, chill out with the insults.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:48 am

I think this thread accurately reflects that running marathons is impressive to some but not all. But it's offensive to no one. If you have to leave off your time at NASA to include the interest section, it's a bad idea.

There are going to be people on this site that have strong enough resumes that there isn't room for marathons. I'm not one of those people. I think this thread could be more constructive if we discussed what should be left off to make room for marathons.

Is running a marathon more impressive than holding an office in a frat? I think so.

Is it more impressive than the nonprofessional summer job i had after freshman year? I think so.

Is it more impressive than indicating a self financed education? I'm not sure. (I know a guy that keeps this on his resume even though he's highly accomplished, and says it's gold in interviews)

Is it more impressive than waiting tables throughout college? I'm not sure..... maybe...


I see it as a single line on a resume that could really strike a chord with the right person.....

User avatar
YCrevolution

Gold
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:21 am

..

User avatar
The Kid

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby The Kid » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:46 am

Scurredsitless1 wrote:I think this thread could be more constructive if we discussed what should be left off to make room for marathons.


What amazes me in this thread is the notion that we are bound by space limit to the point of having to exclude something in order to put others.

My questions are for you all:

1) Are you working with a strict limit (like one page)? and
2) If someone has a strong enough and lengthy résumè, does he have to leave some relevant stuff off?

User avatar
YCrevolution

Gold
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:48 am

..

User avatar
Fred_McGriff

Bronze
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:57 am

What about playing in the majors for 18 years and hitting just shy of 500 home runs?

Should I put every time I made the All Star team as a separate entry or put all five as a single entry?

User avatar
YCrevolution

Gold
Posts: 3863
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:58 am

..

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm

betasteve wrote:
delBarco wrote:I guess i'm the minority here. But I feel like it would be the equivalent of "I'm pretty good at racquetball", just doesn't seem like something worth mentioning on a resume. If it was specifically for a fundraiser then that's different. (Note: there's a difference between someone raising money for cancer by running a marathon than than participating in a marathon that raises money for cancer)

I had it on my resume, and it was a talking point at every single one of my interviews during 1L. That is the point of interests-conversation starters.


Again i'd like to point out that this was a law school resume, not an SA or job resume. But i'll gladly concede in light of differing opinions that there's no harm in putting personal interests on a resume, and change my stance on issue as a more learned person.

User avatar
nealric

Moderator
Posts: 2919
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby nealric » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:24 pm

same answer for olympic distance triathlons?


I had triathlons on my resume for OCI and it it was a great conversation starter (especially because I'm not interested in spectator sports). One of the partners I interviewed with at a callback was a huge cyclist and thinking about getting into tris- I'm pretty convinced that my getting along with him (which was greatly assisted by the interest in common) was a big reason for getting the offer.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold
Posts: 2168
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

betasteve wrote:What is the difference between law resume and summer associate resume? I was interviewing at biglaw and corporate firms.

You're not interviewing when you apply for law schools (typically), and you have a personal statement to tell them about yourself. Usually there is a box on the application for you to tell them about your personal activities. I just don't see the relevance of putting it on the resume.

User avatar
dresden doll

Platinum
Posts: 6797
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby dresden doll » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I had my running interest on my resume. Spent five minutes at my NU interview discussing it. Adcom appeared rather impressed, particularly after learning that I did my routine outside, no matter the weather (yes, I was that obsessed). /end anecdotal evidence

Scurredsitless1

Bronze
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 pm

Fun fact - my city's marathon has a corporate team division, Law Firms won 2 of the 3 awards. I thought that was particularly interesting bc the law firms are not nearly the size of most of the corporations in the city.

User avatar
Tenth Usher

New
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Re: Marathons in Resume

Postby Tenth Usher » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:50 pm

It seems that people with interviewing experience are of the opinion that marathon running has a place on your resume if it's a defining activity for you, something you want the interviewer to talk with you about, and either relate to or be impressed by.

This completely makes sense, thanks for the insight



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests