Ever Wonder What Sort of Person Gets Into Yale With a 160? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KibblesAndVick

Silver

Re: Ever Wonder What Sort of Person Gets Into Yale With a 160?

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Because Yale is sitting pretty on top of the USNWR rankings they aren't overly concerned with her LSAT/GPA combo. They accepted her because she's interesting and will add something unique to the class. Her gem about the difference between crack and cocaine, for example.

I'd second what Knockglock said about her though. She comes off as very self absorbed, almost condescending. I get that you did too many drugs, have a self destructive personally, carry around a ton of emotional baggage, and can't relate to most people, but do you need to be such a bitch about it?

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:Because Yale is sitting pretty on top of the USNWR rankings they aren't overly concerned with her LSAT/GPA combo. They accepted her because she's interesting and will add something unique to the class. Her gem about the difference between crack and cocaine, for example.

I'd second what Knockglock said about her though. She comes off as very self absorbed, almost condescending. I get that you did too many drugs, have a self destructive personally, carry around a ton of emotional baggage, and can't relate to most people, but do you need to be such a bitch about it?
Indeed. And I don't really see how the aforementioned things really brought positive diversity to the class.

As far as her gem about the difference between crack and cocaine...well that's not exactly something that adds alot to the class. She knows about drugs wow. Tons of people know about the differences between crack and cocaine. You don't need to have indulged on a decades long binge with cocaine to know about it and be able to talk about it for purposes of the legal field.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 pm

Knockglock wrote:
dominkay wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Honestly though, I feel like YLS made a mistake here. While obviously very intelligent, she exhibited extended drug use and numerous examples of unlawful behavior, including smuggling cocaine in her diaphragm in Scandanavia.

As I read that article, I felt that all I got out of it was that she was immature, and just one of those people who try and be shocking for the sake of attention or no reason at all, as evidenced by her not even bothering to do the readings at first, and having to take a break, as well as some of her comments in class.

I just don't agree that being ridiculous = good law school applicant. I'm sure there were dozens of qualified people who were law-abidizing citizens that could have used that spot. I also don't think this sends a good message. Hey, do a lot of drugs, write a book detailing your numerous law-breaking behavior, it's okay, we will still accept you to the premier law school in the country.
I don't think she's exceptionally intelligent. I mean, she's not a dummy, but she sure acts like one.
Fair enough. I mean she graduated with honors from Harvard, so she obviously should be able to do better on the LSAT. Usually people that get into top law schools with outlier-low LSAT are URMs; the reasoning behind this is that minorities has statistically shown to score lower on the LSAT than caucasians, also, minorities are more likely to come from low socioeconomic families. This lady had neither. White, and (relatively) rich from her book deals. She also had as much time as she needed to study for the LSAT i'm sure. Yet she score a 160. The median LSAT score out of Harvard is a 165. If she got honors at Harvard, there is no reason she couldn't score higher. Personally I would be turned off by perceived lack of effort, which makes her initial laziness pretty predictable.
I don't think the honors from Harvard are really indicative of her intelligence. It's not hard to imagine how a wealthy, pretty, young, white blonde might do well in college without being a brainiac. What did she major in, English? Note that she was once fired for plagiarism.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 pm

dominkay wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
dominkay wrote:

Honestly though, I feel like YLS made a mistake here. While obviously very intelligent, she exhibited extended drug use and numerous examples of unlawful behavior, including smuggling cocaine in her diaphragm in Scandanavia.

As I read that article, I felt that all I got out of it was that she was immature, and just one of those people who try and be shocking for the sake of attention or no reason at all, as evidenced by her not even bothering to do the readings at first, and having to take a break, as well as some of her comments in class.

I just don't agree that being ridiculous = good law school applicant. I'm sure there were dozens of qualified people who were law-abidizing citizens that could have used that spot. I also don't think this sends a good message. Hey, do a lot of drugs, write a book detailing your numerous law-breaking behavior, it's okay, we will still accept you to the premier law school in the country.
I don't think she's exceptionally intelligent. I mean, she's not a dummy, but she sure acts like one.
Fair enough. I mean she graduated with honors from Harvard, so she obviously should be able to do better on the LSAT. Usually people that get into top law schools with outlier-low LSAT are URMs; the reasoning behind this is that minorities has statistically shown to score lower on the LSAT than caucasians, also, minorities are more likely to come from low socioeconomic families. This lady had neither. White, and (relatively) rich from her book deals. She also had as much time as she needed to study for the LSAT i'm sure. Yet she score a 160. The median LSAT score out of Harvard is a 165. If she got honors at Harvard, there is no reason she couldn't score higher. Personally I would be turned off by perceived lack of effort, which makes her initial laziness pretty predictable.
I don't think the honors from Harvard are really indicative of her intelligence. It's not hard to imagine how a wealthy, pretty, young, white blonde might do well in college without being a brainiac. What did she major in, English? Note that she was once fired for plagiarism.
I would doubt that English at Harvard is an exceptionally easy major. Don't get me wrong, it is at many schools, but the higher up the food chain you get the more technical and really spectacular an English degree can be. Also, most professors have a built in curve, even if there isn't one stated.

Not to say it's the hardest thing you could do, but it probably falls near the head of the humanities stack.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

acrossthelake wrote:So with Yale admissions process...you have to get past 3 professors (unless the dean just moves you on naturally). So....three professors looked at her application and said "yea"? Interesting.
I don't think they approached her application like they would with a run of the mill candidate's. I think they admissions committee knows they can accept people who don't have the numbers without jeopardizing their ranking.

I think there were at least two things they liked about her. First, she's famous and will generate media attention and grassroots buzz. This is evidenced by the fact we're having this discussion right now after we read a NYT article. It feeds the image that they're Yale and they do whatever the hell they want. They get off on telling everyone that they're holistic and "look beyond the numbers" and all that bullshit. Second, they want class diversity and, at least in their minds, she's going to provide that. Like Knockglock said she really isn't anything special. They could pull a random crack head off the street and he/she would blow her whiny ass out of the water. But she seems like the kind of person an admissions committee would look at as being "edgy" and outside the mainstream.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:So with Yale admissions process...you have to get past 3 professors (unless the dean just moves you on naturally). So....three professors looked at her application and said "yea"? Interesting.
I don't think they approached her application like they would with a run of the mill candidate's. I think they admissions committee knows they can accept people who don't have the numbers without jeopardizing their ranking.

I think there were at least two things they liked about her. First, she's famous and will generate media attention and grassroots buzz. This is evidenced by the fact we're having this discussion right now after we read a NYT article. It feeds the image that they're Yale and they do whatever the hell they want. They get off on telling everyone that they're holistic and "look beyond the numbers" and all that bullshit. Second, they want class diversity and, at least in their minds, she's going to provide that. Like Knockglock said she really isn't anything special. They could pull a random crack head off the street and he/she would blow her whiny ass out of the water. But she seems like the kind of person an admissions committee would look at as being "edgy" and outside the mainstream.
Yale faculty probably thought she could hook them up with good coke deals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:31 pm

mallard wrote:
My guess is the dean saw it was Elizabeth Wurtzel and accepted her.
my guess is she blew someone.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:I would doubt that English at Harvard is an exceptionally easy major. Don't get me wrong, it is at many schools, but the higher up the food chain you get the more technical and really spectacular an English degree can be. Also, most professors have a built in curve, even if there isn't one stated.

Not to say it's the hardest thing you could do, but it probably falls near the head of the humanities stack.
I wasn't saying that it is an easy major. But it's a paper-writing major, right? And she's known to have plagiarized. Plus, yeah, she's written some shit that some people like to read. That doesn't make her a genius who is under-appreciated by the mean stupid LSAT (and bar exam). It means that she can write (with a little help from her friends).

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Knockglock wrote:Yale faculty probably thought she could hook them up with good coke deals.
My Yale250 is going to make their noses itch.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:35 pm

dominkay wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:I would doubt that English at Harvard is an exceptionally easy major. Don't get me wrong, it is at many schools, but the higher up the food chain you get the more technical and really spectacular an English degree can be. Also, most professors have a built in curve, even if there isn't one stated.

I wasn't saying that it is an easy major. But it's a paper-writing major, right? And she's known to have plagiarized. Plus, yeah, she's written some shit that some people like to read. That doesn't make her a genius who is under-appreciated by the mean stupid LSAT (and bar exam). It means that she can write (with a little help from her friends).
Yeah...you think if Yale is going to reach for a 160 it's going to be some great philanthropist or dedicated volunteer worker. Not some rich, whiny, crackhead who obviously has many ethical issues. Isn't plagiarism supposed to be one of the worse things to have on your record? as it shows you aren't trustworthy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:36 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
Knockglock wrote:Yale faculty probably thought she could hook them up with good coke deals.
Haha, sounds like a great strategy. Maybe my application will include some free samples...c'mon Yale!

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Knockglock wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:
Haha, sounds like a great strategy. Maybe my application will include some free samples...c'mon Yale!
don't send it in an envelope, they'll think it's anthrax

truffleshuffle

New

Post by truffleshuffle » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:37 pm

So, in 15 years?

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:41 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:So, in 15 years?
He's a graduate of Duke Law.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:44 pm

dominkay wrote: I don't think the honors from Harvard are really indicative of her intelligence. It's not hard to imagine how a wealthy, pretty, young, white blonde might do well in college without being a brainiac. What did she major in, English? Note that she was once fired for plagiarism.
S some Ds for some As. (and cocaine)

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm

She was a pretty accomplished writer at a pretty young age, right?

aPosseAdEsse

Bronze

Post by aPosseAdEsse » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:45 pm

/agree

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 pm

mallard wrote:She was a pretty accomplished writer at a pretty young age, right?
I never understood the good writer=good lawyer thing.. I mean legal writing, from what I have seen, is pretty formulaic. Whenever there is creativity its usually from judges and they are just having a little fun. Yes, you have to be able to clearly and concisely get a point across but is that the same way we judge writing(in reality)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:48 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
dominkay wrote: I don't think the honors from Harvard are really indicative of her intelligence. It's not hard to imagine how a wealthy, pretty, young, white blonde might do well in college without being a brainiac. What did she major in, English? Note that she was once fired for plagiarism.
S some Ds for some As. (and cocaine)
I don't think she would even need to do that much.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:50 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
mallard wrote:She was a pretty accomplished writer at a pretty young age, right?
I never understood the good writer=good lawyer thing.. I mean legal writing, from what I have seen, is pretty formulaic. Whenever there is creativity its usually from judges and they are just having a little fun. Yes, you have to be able to clearly and concisely get a point across but is that the same way we judge writing(in reality)?
That's a big part of how we judge writing, but I was more talking about her success as an English major. I don't get why people doubt that a celebrated author would be able to get honors grades as an English major.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:56 pm

mallard wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
That's a big part of how we judge writing, but I was more talking about her success as an English major. I don't get why people doubt that a celebrated author would be able to get honors grades as an English major.
Oh, I dont doubt this.. just pointing out the differences between the way more creative writing is judged vs what legal writing might be judged on.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”