Is it worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mpasi

Bronze

Is it worth it?

Post by mpasi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:33 am

This is a tad long, so feel free to skim.

I'm about to spend the next several months on the LSAT and working on a grad certificate in a related field, and while I'm fairly confident in my decision to go to law school, I have to wonder about the people who keep saying it's "not worth it". Is the legal market as saturated as it's made out to be? How bad is unemployment for recent grads (1-3 years)? A friend of mine recently quit in the middle of 2L and claims that her heart wasn't in it and that most of her friends who have graduated are still unemployed nearly a year out. I didn't ask, but I think her heart would be in it if she saw a future for herself. She had been wanted to be a prosecutor, but is about to start an MA in Criminology so she can work for the FBI. That's basically the same thing. Another one quit after 1L and is now working as an ordained UU minister.

Then, there's the blogosphere's perspective. Law students, ex-law students, current attorneys, etc. are saying it's a waste of time and money. I know a few people here think it's pointless to go if you don't make it to the T14, which is just silliness to me, but I digress. I keep coming across shit like this: http://shillingmesoftly.blogspot.com/. Granted, this kid isn't working as a lawyer because he's a moron who harassed an attorney for changing her mind about hiring him (look up Jesse Clark on ATL), but he has a point.

I'm pretty conflicted right now. I want to do public interest, which doesn't pay shit anyway, but even that's a crap shoot right now. I've thought about alternate careers, and none of them appeal to me as much. Should I just wait?

MURPH

Silver

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by MURPH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 am

There is nothing to wait for. It isn't going to get better. The whole economy is shit and there are too many workers and not enough jobs unless you want to be a cashier or burger flipper.
Nonetheless, life is good for folks who get into good law schools and do well. Don't be afraid to take your time applying. Get into the best school possible, get a scholarship. Graduate with no debt. Then get started on your PI career. From wht I've read PI lawyers are the happiest lawyers. From my personal experience too. They love their work.

mpasi

Bronze

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by mpasi » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”