Is Law School the new "College?" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
waitlisted1

New

Is Law School the new "College?"

Post by waitlisted1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm debating whether to go to law school this fall.

I'm sick of the direction most of these discussions go in terms of money/jobs, etc. so PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

LAWYERS WONT MAKE MUCH MONEY: If you are going to law school simply for the exclusive title of "Esq.", which allows you to charge $250 per hour in your job, you're an idiot. I actually like the law, I actually enjoy helping people figure stuff out with the law. I also think it's a hard task to do correctly, and requires concentration and determination which most people just don't have when it comes to research/arguments...thus the compensation. That said, I think that the high pay we are used to seeing for stereotypical lawyers is a bit artificial since there are barriers to becoming a lawyer that many capable people just never had the opportunities to overcome. Recently, this advantage is unravelling because there is an abundance of lawyers and bad economy. I see this as a trend that will continue (as more law schools/lawyers develop); that is, the majority of the legal profession is not going to get paid well. Forget all this T1-T3 talk. Also, many of those high-paying jobs you get suck in terms quality of life (in other words, you get paid well, but you work 60+ hours).

So, enough about strictly the economy. If I wanted a stable job that paid well already, I'd be a cop/firefighter/government employee who work for twenty years and then receive a nice, government-backed pension. (I'm not degrading their work here, but just saying MANY are in a decent economic situation in those terms).

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Is it a valid reason to go to law school as "something to do" for the next three years? I am interested in law, but I know that jobs are scarce, and I can't say there is one area of law I definitely love yet. But I don't know what else to do. I'm working as a paralegal now and it's kind of boring, with no room for advancement (obviously without a JD). I could do almost anything I want, but I don't really care to do anything that bad. I don't have any connections outside of law, so while it would be cool to do something like bartending, I don't really care to do it bad enough to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Is it incorrect to look at law school as something to do for the next three years? Somewhere to meet new people, have some new opportunities, etc.? I understand there is a boatload of debt with law school, but I already have debt from undergrad which I'll be paying off for the next ten years. In some sick sense, it's like f*** it I'm already screwed. And let's face it, now that there is Income Based Repayment (loan repayment won't exceed 15% of your income), there is slightly less pressure to have to get a high-paying job when you're out. And consequently, there is less pressure to even get a law job. I could technically go to law school, decide I don't like it, and still try to get into something else.

Is law school the new college? (albeit with less parties and fun) Kind of like a college where you have more time to concentrate on what you want to do with your life?

theLastZion

New

Re: Is Law School the new "College?"

Post by theLastZion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

tl;dr

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:21 pm

waitlisted1 wrote:I'm debating whether to go to law school this fall.

I'm sick of the direction most of these discussions go in terms of money/jobs, etc. so PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING.

LAWYERS WONT MAKE MUCH MONEY: If you are going to law school simply for the exclusive title of "Esq.", which allows you to charge $250 per hour in your job, you're an idiot. I actually like the law, I actually enjoy helping people figure stuff out with the law. I also think it's a hard task to do correctly, and requires concentration and determination which most people just don't have when it comes to research/arguments...thus the compensation. That said, I think that the high pay we are used to seeing for stereotypical lawyers is a bit artificial since there are barriers to becoming a lawyer that many capable people just never had the opportunities to overcome. Recently, this advantage is unravelling because there is an abundance of lawyers and bad economy. I see this as a trend that will continue (as more law schools/lawyers develop); that is, the majority of the legal profession is not going to get paid well. Forget all this T1-T3 talk. Also, many of those high-paying jobs you get suck in terms quality of life (in other words, you get paid well, but you work 60+ hours).

So, enough about strictly the economy. If I wanted a stable job that paid well already, I'd be a cop/firefighter/government employee who work for twenty years and then receive a nice, government-backed pension. (I'm not degrading their work here, but just saying MANY are in a decent economic situation in those terms).

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

Is it a valid reason to go to law school as "something to do" for the next three years? I am interested in law, but I know that jobs are scarce, and I can't say there is one area of law I definitely love yet. But I don't know what else to do. I'm working as a paralegal now and it's kind of boring, with no room for advancement (obviously without a JD). I could do almost anything I want, but I don't really care to do anything that bad. I don't have any connections outside of law, so while it would be cool to do something like bartending, I don't really care to do it bad enough to start at the bottom and work my way up.

Is it incorrect to look at law school as something to do for the next three years? Somewhere to meet new people, have some new opportunities, etc.? I understand there is a boatload of debt with law school, but I already have debt from undergrad which I'll be paying off for the next ten years. In some sick sense, it's like f*** it I'm already screwed. And let's face it, now that there is Income Based Repayment (loan repayment won't exceed 15% of your income), there is slightly less pressure to have to get a high-paying job when you're out. And consequently, there is less pressure to even get a law job. I could technically go to law school, decide I don't like it, and still try to get into something else.

Is law school the new college? (albeit with less parties and fun) Kind of like a college where you have more time to concentrate on what you want to do with your life?
Numbers (GPA, LSAT)? The relative rank of the school you can get into is an important factor in deciding.

rdcws000

Bronze

Post by rdcws000 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm having a hard time understanding why you start out by answering your question in your disclaimer, then you ask your question... twice.

Anyway, I'm not the post police, but keying in on some of your comments, here is my advice. Keep in mind I'm an 0L, but I feel confident this is good counsel:
I don't know what else to do
Don't do it!
I understand there is a boatload of debt with law school, but I already have debt from undergrad which I'll be paying off for the next ten years. In some sick sense, it's like f*** it I'm already screwed.
Very bad logic. Don't do it!
I could technically go to law school, decide I don't like it, and still try to get into something else.
But why? Do your research now!
more time to concentrate on what you want to do with your life?
There are many cheaper and more enjoyable ways to do this.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:33 pm

waitlisted1 wrote:Is it a valid reason to go to law school as "something to do" for the next three years?
No.

You're welcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:36 pm

waitlisted1 wrote:If you are going to law school simply for the exclusive title of "Esq.", which allows you to charge $250 per hour in your job, you're an idiot.
By the way, this is actually a good reason to go to law school: if you want to be a lawyer, you need the title. Your reasons (you're bored and you don't know what else to do and you *~*~like law*~*~*) are actually idiotic, though.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:06 pm

dominkay wrote:
waitlisted1 wrote:If you are going to law school simply for the exclusive title of "Esq.", which allows you to charge $250 per hour in your job, you're an idiot.
By the way, this is actually a good reason to go to law school: if you want to be a lawyer, you need the title. Your reasons (you're bored and you don't know what else to do and you *~*~like law*~*~*) are actually idiotic, though.
However, the ability to charge out at high rates is not a good reason to go to law school. Given it's the sole criterion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”