Have I screwed up big time or what! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RunningFromTheLaw

New

Have I screwed up big time or what!

Post by RunningFromTheLaw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Opinions wanted.

I've wanted to go to law school for the last decade. I don't know why I didn't. I finished college seven years ago and have since done a few things. I taught middle school science and high school biology. I worked part-time as a paramedic, and I later got into state law enforcement and have been in that field for nearly five years. Yeah, say what you will. My graduating GPA was 3.45. My problem is I've started taking classes along the premed track because I never took physics or organic chemistry in college. I hate math and math based classes. They're infuriatingly difficult for me, and I genuinely have no interest in them. The reason I'm taking them is really just a whim. Like I said, I once worked part-time as a medic and have since had an interest in medical "stuff," but I can't bear the process of going as far as one has to go for premed through residency. I'm still interested in law. I read what I can about it, and I like it. Frankly, I wanted to do something with my life, quit writing tickets, and undergo some type of professional education. I picked the med route, knowing all too well of the dedication required, but I was scared of what I'd read about a lack of jobs for newly minted legal eagles. I quit my full-time, state job for this crap. What was I thinking! I work as a dispatcher now which I hate, but it let's me do some school work on the job. Can I still apply to law school and be taken seriously?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Have I screwed up big time or what!

Post by kalvano » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 pm

Yes.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes.
Just make sure to study your ass off for the LSAT. And make sure this is something you really want, unlike the med school route. This is the summation of the advice I have been given and seen other been given.

RunningFromTheLaw

New

Post by RunningFromTheLaw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

mjcaccio wrote:
kalvano wrote:Yes.
Just make sure to study your ass off for the LSAT. And make sure this is something you really want, unlike the med school route. This is the summation of the advice I have been given and seen other been given.
Well, like many I know I want to go to law school, and I have interests outside of criminal law of course, but I have no clue what I'll end up doing.

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 pm

RunningFromTheLaw wrote:Like I said, I once worked part-time as a medic and have since had an interest in medical "stuff," but I can't bear the process of going as far as one has to go for premed through residency.
Have you considered pharmacy school? You'd still need some of the hardcore sciences and such, you'd be getting into the medical "stuff" but as long as you already have the pre-reqs completed (chem, organic chem, biochem, calc, etc) it would only be 3 years of pharm school and then done with better job prospects than law school.

Now if law is what you really want I say go for it and study hard for the LSAT. There is no reason that taking time to explore other options should be held against you. I am only suggesting pharmacy school as an option since you seem to be a little confused as to what you really want.

RunningFromTheLaw

New

Post by RunningFromTheLaw » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm

angioletto wrote:
RunningFromTheLaw wrote:Like I said, I once worked part-time as a medic and have since had an interest in medical "stuff," but I can't bear the process of going as far as one has to go for premed through residency.
Have you considered pharmacy school? You'd still need some of the hardcore sciences and such, you'd be getting into the medical "stuff" but as long as you already have the pre-reqs completed (chem, organic chem, biochem, calc, etc) it would only be 3 years of pharm school and then done with better job prospects than law school.

Now if law is what you really want I say go for it and study hard for the LSAT. There is no reason that taking time to explore other options should be held against you. I am only suggesting pharmacy school as an option since you seem to be a little confused as to what you really want.
Thanks. If the job market were better for lawyers I wouldn't have been hesitant to have pursued this route to begin with. You know, my mother (I'm 28) suggested pharm school, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”