What was your initial impression of law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bows_and_toes

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:06 pm

What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby bows_and_toes » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:26 pm

When I was in high school, I did an interview for admissions to the honors program at the University of South Carolina. I was interested in law school even back then, but their representative indicated how difficult their law school was to get into. For some reason, from that point on, I had the general idea that one had to be brilliant to be accepted into any tier of law school. This was of course stupid, but I was only a senior in high school at the time, and no one bothered to correct me, and thus I was under the impression that law school was categorically reserved for Ivy League grads. So I messed around as a business major my first year and a half of UG before realizing I hated it (had planned to go into marketing, ugh), because I thought I wasn't smart enough to get in. Only in the last 6 months or so have I came to the realization that I have a decent chance of attending some fairly competitive schools.

Sorry for the rant, but has anyone else had a similar experience in which they felt the exclusiveness of law school as a whole was misrepresented? Or did you know from early on you would be able to attend? Generally people are still shocked when I tell them I plan to attend law school, or people with GPAs in the low 2 range tell me I wont be able to attend, which is always funny.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:29 pm

My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"

User avatar
jayn3

Silver
Posts: 667
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby jayn3 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:34 pm

kalvano wrote:I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


this. only about the prelaw kids at my UG.

User avatar
thecilent

Gold
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:38 pm

kalvano wrote:My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


Must be nice having all those connects

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


Must be nice having all those connects



That's how I roll.

094320

Gold
Posts: 4086
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby 094320 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:46 pm

..

User avatar
thecilent

Gold
Posts: 2500
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby thecilent » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:52 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I thought the top law schools would be more difficult to get into than they are and would be more holistic. When I first approached the process, I thought all the top ones would be holistic the way YLS and the schools I applied to for undergrad were and that it would make admissions that much more difficult.


+1

User avatar
jennylynn

Bronze
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby jennylynn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah, until I started looking into it, I was super impressed by anyone who got into ls. Like my ex. Who went to Barry. Then I started applying and realized that he didn't go there "because he liked it" like he said...he went there because he managed to get in there. He dropped out after 1L. I'm not going to pretend that I didn't take some pleasure in getting into a school that he couldn't get into. :wink:

094320

Gold
Posts: 4086
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby 094320 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm

..

GettingReady2010

Bronze
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
jennylynn wrote:Yeah, until I started looking into it, I was super impressed by anyone who got into ls. Like my ex. Who went to Barry. Then I started applying and realized that he didn't go there "because he liked it" like he said...he went there because he managed to get in there. He dropped out after 1L. I'm not going to pretend that I didn't take some pleasure in getting into a school that he couldn't get into. :wink:


I wish I could do that. Except my ex was a med student. :evil:


LOL. Getting into just about any medical school is like getting into a T10 or better.

0L: I'm going to GeorgeTTTown
Potential Med Student: That's nice. I'm going to medical school.

0L walks away feeling belittled.

User avatar
NU_Jet55

Silver
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Cilent21 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


Must be nice having all those connects


+1...is it bad that I hate you for this?

User avatar
pleasetryagain

Silver
Posts: 754
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:55 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:LOL. Getting into just about any medical school is like getting into a T10 or better.

0L: I'm going to GeorgeTTTown
Potential Med Student: That's nice. I'm going to medical school.

0L walks away feeling belittled.


eh.. I know quite a few kids in medical school and I know I am more intelligent than almost all of them.

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:13 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


Must be nice having all those connects


+1...is it bad that I hate you for this?



No, hate feeds the dark side you will need to survive law school.

Sorry I'm late responding, I was having lunch with a hiring partner at a Biglaw firm and a judge. They said to tell you hi.

User avatar
NU_Jet55

Silver
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:15 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:LOL. Getting into just about any medical school is like getting into a T10 or better.

0L: I'm going to GeorgeTTTown
Potential Med Student: That's nice. I'm going to medical school.

0L walks away feeling belittled.


eh.. I know quite a few kids in medical school and I know I am more intelligent than almost all of them.


had to fight the urge to make a meme out of each of these posts... I'm getting addicted

User avatar
NU_Jet55

Silver
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:16 pm

kalvano wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Cilent21 wrote:
kalvano wrote:My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather was a lawyer, most of my family is composed of lawyers, most of the family friends are lawyers.

I'd have to say my first impression was "how hard can it be if they can do it?"


Must be nice having all those connects


+1...is it bad that I hate you for this?



No, hate feeds the dark side you will need to survive law school.

Sorry I'm late responding, I was having lunch with a hiring partner at a Biglaw firm and a judge. They said to tell you hi.


*cries*

User avatar
kalvano

Diamond
Posts: 11952
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:18 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:*cries*



I'm only kidding. I was shopping for a car.

User avatar
NU_Jet55

Silver
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: What was your initial impression of law school?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:*cries*



I'm only kidding. I was shopping for a car.


*takes gun out of mouth*

That was close.



Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests