41 Year Old Accepted Law Student Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tkc40

New

41 Year Old Accepted Law Student

Post by tkc40 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm a 41 year old single male that has been accepted to a few schools in California and don't know which to choose.

Facts:

1. Reside in San Diego
2. Self employed - Realtor
3. Always wanted to go to Law School.
4. Accepted at T4 Schools of Golden Gate in SF, Thomas Jefferson in San Diego and accepted at T2 school of University of San Francisco.

Concerns:

1. I would prefer to got to USF, but my Realtor work practice is here in San Diego and while I don't plan on working at it full time, I am counting on 5 or so sales a year to pay my tuition through law school. If I go to San Francisco, I need to start over on real estate and that is likely to delay law school at least till 2011. I have dreamed of going to law school for many years and waiting another year is very unappealing. I prefer the city of and the school in SF.

2. I want to have the most options open to me when I finish law school as possible. I would be 44 year old at graduation. A young 44, I would like to add. I have read both negative and positives about the chances of employment for a mid-life first year lawyer. I am proceeding with the expectation of encountering age discrimination. My concern is adding a potential stigma that maybe attached to T4 in addition to my age. Moreover, I may wish to look for work not in San Diego, but LA or SF after I graduate.

Dilemma:

1. Wait another year, go through the hassle of building Real Estate business contacts in SF, graduate from USF and seek employment as a 45 year old first year lawyer?

2. Go to law school now in San Diego. Graduate from a T4 and seek employment as a 44 year old first year lawyer.

Questions:

1. What to do? Get on with law school in San Diego, do well and hope a 44 year old first year lawyer/T4 can find a job in San Fran or LA if that become a preference? Wait, move to SF, graduate at 45 from a better school but still be a mid life first year lawyer?

stintez

Bronze

Re: 41 Year Old Accepted Law Student

Post by stintez » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:26 pm

I understand that you have always wanted to go to law school, however it seems like you have a great thing going. Why would you want to rock the boat. You are your own business right now that seems way more appealing than hoping to get a job as a lawyer after law school.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Honestly, I would keep the job you have. If being a lawyer, however, is really important to you then I would go to USF.

yhezel

New

Post by yhezel » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:33 pm

If you want to live in San Francisco I think your best option is U of SF. You'll be competing against UC Davis, Stanford and Berkeley graduates, so you want a local school with a local alumni base.

Have you considered taking out loans for your tuition? Also, you'll have three years (is you go part time) to build your real estate network in SF.

Good luck with yoyur choice.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Did you try getting into USD? What were your GPA/LSAT?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”