Should I submit a GPA addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
unattended bag

Should I submit a GPA addendum?

Postby unattended bag » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:09 pm

I did poorly my first two years of college, dropped out, went to culinary school, worked as a chef for several years, and then came back to school. The difference between my GPA before culinary school and my GPA after is HUGE. However, my reasons for doing poorly at first aren't special, and I've heard that it's a bad idea to submit an addendum unless you had extenuating circumstances.

So, should I submit the addendum?

Thanks in advance.

Teoeo

Re: Should I submit a GPA addendum?

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm

I probably wouldn't, they will see the trend.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:16 pm

No. You said you don't have a good reason, so just let it be.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 pm

unattended bag wrote:I did poorly my first two years of college, dropped out, went to culinary school, worked as a chef for several years, and then came back to school. The difference between my GPA before culinary school and my GPA after is HUGE. However, my reasons for doing poorly at first aren't special, and I've heard that it's a bad idea to submit an addendum unless you had extenuating circumstances.

So, should I submit the addendum?

Thanks in advance.

yes, you should submit an addendum to explain the gap in your education

KingJames6

Postby KingJames6 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:00 pm

kalvano wrote:No. You said you don't have a good reason, so just let it be.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:02 pm

ignore those saying not to. Don't focus it on your GPA, but you definitely need to explain the gap in your education. I don't think a sentence highlighting the higher GPA after returning to school and being focused on your education would be too bad in the context of this wider addendum

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:04 pm

capitalacq wrote:ignore those saying not to. Don't focus it on your GPA, but you definitely need to explain the gap in your education. I don't think a sentence highlighting the higher GPA after returning to school and being focused on your education would be too bad in the context of this wider addendum

No, he / she doesn't. The resume will explain it. Cooking school, real-world work, all that.

OP already said there was no good explanation for the lower grades. They're old, and anyone who looks at resumes / applications will be able to see what happened.

Best not to call attention to them and just leave them alone.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:09 pm

kalvano wrote:
capitalacq wrote:ignore those saying not to. Don't focus it on your GPA, but you definitely need to explain the gap in your education. I don't think a sentence highlighting the higher GPA after returning to school and being focused on your education would be too bad in the context of this wider addendum

No, he / she doesn't. The resume will explain it. Cooking school, real-world work, all that.

OP already said there was no good explanation for the lower grades. They're old, and anyone who looks at resumes / applications will be able to see what happened.

Best not to call attention to them and just leave them alone.

they might not automatically see what happened. they're goign to notice the gap but may not notice why immediately when looking at a resume (plenty of applicants have jobs on their resume WHILE they were still at school). It's best to just explain what happened rather than take the chance of leaving a question in their mind or having them have to ask you for an explanation

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:13 pm

also, the 3 applications i just looked at (georgetown, cornell, and harvard) all have a question similar to
"Has your college, university, graduate-school, or professional-school been interrupted for one or more terms for any reason?" and ask for an explanation.

unattended bag

Postby unattended bag » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I expected a lack of consensus, but it's good to hear both arguments.

Does anybody in this thread think that an addendum could cause a person to be rejected when they otherwise would have been accepted?

Thanks again.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:37 pm

unattended bag wrote:Thank you all for the responses. I expected a lack of consensus, but it's good to hear both arguments.

Does anybody in this thread think that an addendum could cause a person to be rejected when they otherwise would have been accepted?

Thanks again.

Highly doubt an addendum could cause a person to be rejected by itself as long as the addendum is well written and to the point. Thus I don't see the downside and agree with Capital that should write one.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”