To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brewinbruin
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm

To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby brewinbruin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 am

Here's my situation: I'll be attending UCLA Law next year with a modest scholarship, but am considering reapplying next year. I'm currently waitlisted at MVP, Duke (received the 2011 early decision offer), and NYU. I'd like to work in LA upon graduation, and have family/undergrad ties in the area. I applied relatively late this past cycle, only going complete in January, which may have hurt my chances at several schools (my numbers are in my profile). I'm very interested in NYU, but would strongly consider any of the t10 or t6 that would give me stronger employment prospects in LA. What are my chances at these schools, and is it worth it to roll the dice on another application cycle? Thanks in advance for your advice.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:56 am

#s are not in profile.

User avatar
Jack Smirks
Posts: 1340
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 5:35 am

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:58 am

rad law wrote:#s are not in profile.

174 3.5

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:52 pm

You'd definitely have a shot at CCN by going early decision. You did say NYU appeals to you; however, you also said you got a modest scholarship at UCLA. I feel like you could gain by getting into one of CCN but I really don't know how big that gain is. I personally think you should stay with what you got since you probably won't have ridiculous debt with your scholarship and UCLA does pretty well in Cali anyway.

brewinbruin
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby brewinbruin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I should also add that I have previous LSAT score of 165 that may hurt my chances at a t6. I suppose my question boils down to whether I could significantly increase my chances at CCN by applying in September (ED or not), and whether that possibility (and it's effect on my post-grad employability in CA) is worth waiting a year.

Thanks for the advice so far.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:19 pm

brewinbruin wrote:I should also add that I have previous LSAT score of 165 that may hurt my chances at a t6. I suppose my question boils down to whether I could significantly increase my chances at CCN by applying in September (ED or not), and whether that possibility (and it's effect on my post-grad employability in CA) is worth waiting a year.

Thanks for the advice so far.


From the data I've seen on LSN, and what people with multiple scores themselves have told me is that CCN do not seem to average LSAT's. They may average in some cases, but it seems like they don't much of the time. So, for you I don't think I'd worry too much about the multiple scores issue. I personally think it's tough for you to crack CCN without ED'ing because it's always hard to tell with a GPA under 3.6 or so I think; if you do ED I think you have a great shot.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: To reapply or not reapply? Advice appreciated!!!

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:20 pm

If you want to work in LA, I would stick with what you have.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thewanderer, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest