Question on retakes and applying early

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vicuna

Question on retakes and applying early

Postby vicuna » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:55 am

I made a 170 on the June LSAT and feel pretty comfortable with my chances at MVP. However, I'd like to retake it in October because I will probably need a 172 to have a legitimate shot at NYU, my top choice.

My plan is to submit my applications to the rest of the T14 as early as possible (i.e. in September) and then apply ED to NYU once the scores are released. My question is: will my applications not be considered final until my second score is released? In other words, do I nullify the advantage of applying early to MVPDN by retaking?

sumus romani

Re: Question on retakes and applying early

Postby sumus romani » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:05 pm

vicuna wrote:I made a 170 on the June LSAT and feel pretty comfortable with my chances at MVP. However, I'd like to retake it in October because I will probably need a 172 to have a legitimate shot at NYU, my top choice.

My plan is to submit my applications to the rest of the T14 as early as possible (i.e. in September) and then apply ED to NYU once the scores are released. My question is: will my applications not be considered final until my second score is released? In other words, do I nullify the advantage of applying early to MVPDN by retaking?

It depends. On many applications, you have to say whether you are signed up for another test. On some, though, you don't. You can look at their applications and find out pretty quickly.

Also, you can communicate to the school that you want your file held or reviewed, and they might accomodate your wishes. From what I gather, schools are a lot more flexible on this than people anticipate. This is because they already use a kind of internal "triage" system for applicants, with some being quickly reviews, and others being held, and yet others being reviewed in normal course.

This is a tricky area though, and MVPDN will be pretty wary of an applicant who is re-taking a 170.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Why would they be wary? Would you advise against retaking?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:06 pm

vicuna wrote:I made a 170 on the June LSAT and feel pretty comfortable with my chances at MVP. However, I'd like to retake it in October because I will probably need a 172 to have a legitimate shot at NYU, my top choice.

From past cycles, applicants tend to say that schools held off on making a decision until they got the new score.

However, if your'e taking the october LSAT and apply sometime near when scores are released, you are still applying EARLY so don't worry about it. (and applying early is overrated anyway. it's just a convenient excuse people tend to use to explain their rejections/waitlisting)

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 pm

vicuna wrote:Why would they be wary? Would you advise against retaking?

they aren't weary, they just wont want to make a decision until you get your new score.. mostly for yield protect purposed (if you get a 180 on a retake, a school like michigan knows you arent likely to attend)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”