Only accepted at t7+, is law school worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shutterbug

Re: Only accepted at t7+, is law school worth it?

Postby shutterbug » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:50 am

depressed0L wrote:This is my first post in this forum, but I used it this past year to basically figure out things about the application process.
So here's my story, in at Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown.
Out at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago.

I'm at a 3.8, 171, political science from an Ivy.
I had my sights set on at least CCN, but unfortunately that isn't happening, I really thought I was in at one of those three, but oh well.
My goal is to work for a V5 (Wachtell, Cravath, Skadden, Sullivan, Davis Polk), but I just don't see that happening anymore.

I can't go into Berkeley or Penn thinking that I'm going to be in the top 10% there, so I'm contemplating volunteering for a year, retaking the LSAT later this year, and giving next year's cycle another shot. Comments?

To the OP: STFU.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:51 am

depressed0L wrote:
rando wrote:
depressed0L wrote:I *am* a prestige whore. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just trying to understand if I should wait out a year, do something interesting, and reapply with the hopes of V5.

My moniker is depressed0L, I'm pursuing prestige but I can't get into a t6, so I'm depressed, I'm fine with chasing prestige, I'm not fine with my current situation, what about my moniker or my post is inconsistent with my prestige whoredom.

The fact that you are depressed about it not consistent with you being 'fine' with it. Either way. I don't really give a shit. You are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. Not my problem. Again, just pointing out for you why people call you a douche and why you'll probably encounter that real-life moniker in the future.

I'm fine with being a prestige whore but depressed in my progress toward prestige, what about that is so hard to understand!?!?!??!??!!?!

You aren't V5 material.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:53 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

Flame, and also a good example of a person who should kill himself whether the post is true or not.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:57 am

rando wrote:
depressed0L wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:That's the problem. You're a whore.

Berkeley doesn't secure its law students private sector jobs, really, I'm not sure what they do.
MVP are good, but not NYC V5 good.
Chicago is phenomenal, whereas the other two - Columbia and NYU - feed right into these firms.
That's my concern.

You still haven't addressed the concern that you, as a 20 yr old 0L appear to have no clue what separates a V5 firm from a V10, 20 etc. Nor what you will be doing as an associate at said firm. And that is just assuming that you succeed in LS to get to V5.

The question was, is law school worth it?

The answer to your question is, no.

Go find a job in sales.

depressed0L

Postby depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 am

this forum has a theme of encouraging suicide. You guys should go into music or something. Or move over to:
http://www.realraptalk.com/f149/who-onl ... l-1089589/
Last edited by depressed0L on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 am

OP is a huge...

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:02 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:04 am

depressed0L wrote:this forum has a theme of encouraging suicide. You guys should go into music or something. Or move over to:

Hey toolshed, if you seriously meant this, I hope a TTT grad wipes the floor with you at whatever white-shoed NYC firm you're working at and your boss tells you to go play in traffic for awhile.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 am

depressed0L wrote:I would go to Berkeley if it was a t6. I think the t6 distinction is because you can reasonably get a NYC elite law job from a t6, whereas from a non-t6 you have to be at the super-top of your class to get those jobs.

Isn't that why there's a "t6" (HYSCCN), for the New York City elite corporate law jobs, and the t4 for academia (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago)?

UPenn actually places more of its grads into BigLaw, actually places more of its grads into firms even within New York City, than NYU. If you think that T6 is actually a meaningful distinction, especially in regards to placing in NY City, then you clearly have not done enough research.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:23 am

get it to x wrote:
depressed0L wrote:this forum has a theme of encouraging suicide. You guys should go into music or something. Or move over to:

Hey toolshed, if you seriously meant this, I hope a TTT grad wipes the floor with you at whatever white-shoed NYC firm you're working at and your boss tells you to go play in traffic for awhile.
This seems like an unwarranted assumption at this point.
get it to x wrote:

Hey toolshed, if you seriously meant this, I hope a TTT grad wipes the floor with you at whatever shitlaw firm you'll be working at and your boss tells you to go play in traffic for awhile.
Fixed!

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:47 pm

ED NYU FTW!

Edit: If you just strictly want t6. As for getting to the V5, probs not much difference between N and P. Oh and you most definitely will never make it to V5 anyway. hth
Last edited by thecilent on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:58 pm

I've met people working at the firms you describe at both Penn and NYU. Seemed to have roughly the same rank as well (i.e. top of the fucking class). Don't know what the big difference is...? If you are capable of ranking highly enough at one to get a V5 you should be smart enough to rank highly enough at the other to get one as well. Hell dood, I knew a kid who got V5 from GULC... in 2009. Berk would probably be tougher than Penn but doable, don't really know how they place in NYC.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Flame, and also a good example of a person who should kill himself whether the post is true or not.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:08 pm

The advice is simple: take a year or more off and re-take. Also, most certainly NYU is not likely to help you out given your goals. Even CN probably won't. Really, what you need is only Y and H. If the economy were better, then t6 might cut it, but not now.

Just like everyone else, I think that anyone with your goals is an idiot: but the best advice given those goals is clear--only go to Y and H unless you wait several years for the economy to improve, in which case you can go to t6.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Dude, you don't want V5. Not right out of LS anyway. Get that pesky SCOTUS clerkship out of the way first and enjoy the signing bonus that comes with it.

And yes, the lack of a T6 acceptance does mean that you are an utter, laughable failure and your life is ruined.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:14 pm

You will always be depressed. There will always be lots of people who are better than you.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:So wait Mr. Flame....skadden makes you happy, but covington and K+E aren't good enough? lolz.

don't worry - with op's inevitable pwning of law school, skadden will be putting him on the fast track to partnership, modelz, and bottlez

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:55 pm

depressed0L wrote:
rando wrote:
depressed0L wrote:I *am* a prestige whore. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just trying to understand if I should wait out a year, do something interesting, and reapply with the hopes of V5.

My moniker is depressed0L, I'm pursuing prestige but I can't get into a t6, so I'm depressed, I'm fine with chasing prestige, I'm not fine with my current situation, what about my moniker or my post is inconsistent with my prestige whoredom.

The fact that you are depressed about it not consistent with you being 'fine' with it. Either way. I don't really give a shit. You are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. Not my problem. Again, just pointing out for you why people call you a douche and why you'll probably encounter that real-life moniker in the future.

I'm fine with being a prestige whore but depressed in my progress toward prestige, what about that is so hard to understand!?!?!??!??!!?!

Wait what is prestigious about going to a law school whose reputation you had nothing to do with earning to work for a firm whose reputation you have nothing to do with acquiring as an entry level employee? That's not prestigious, that's riding someone else's coattails who did all the work for you. Seriously, it's like generation Y thinks clawing their way to middle management = American dream. :roll:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Matthies wrote:Wait what is prestigious about going to a law school whose reputation you had nothing to do with earning to work for a firm whose reputation you have nothing to do with acquiring as an entry level employee? That's not prestigious, that's riding someone else's coattails who did all the work for you. Seriously, it's like generation Y thinks clawing their way to middle management = American dream. :roll:

cause document review 90+ hours a week is baller man...

McNulty

Postby McNulty » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:33 pm

Only at t7+? That really sucks. Now, if you're also unattractive, it might just be the end of the road for you. Just end it right now.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:54 pm

McNulty wrote:Ugly and attending a law school other than Yale is no way to go through life, son.

:(

ikari_ningen

Postby ikari_ningen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:01 pm

Don't go to Berkeley. I don't want you around me.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”