Only accepted at t7+, is law school worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
depressed0L

New

Only accepted at t7+, is law school worth it?

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:15 am

This is my first post in this forum, but I used it this past year to basically figure out things about the application process.
So here's my story, in at Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown.
Out at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago.

I'm at a 3.8, 171, political science from an Ivy.
I had my sights set on at least CCN, but unfortunately that isn't happening, I really thought I was in at one of those three, but oh well.
My goal is to work for a V5 (Wachtell, Cravath, Skadden, Sullivan, Davis Polk), but I just don't see that happening anymore.

I can't go into Berkeley or Penn thinking that I'm going to be in the top 10% there, so I'm contemplating volunteering for a year, retaking the LSAT later this year, and giving next year's cycle another shot. Comments?

yinz

Bronze

Re: Only accepted at t7+, is law school worth it?

Post by yinz » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:17 am

depressed0L wrote:This is my first post in this forum, but I used it this past year to basically figure out things about the application process.
So here's my story, in at Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Virginia, Northwestern, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown.
Out at Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, Chicago.

I'm at a 3.8, 171, political science from an Ivy.
I had my sights set on at least CCN, but unfortunately that isn't happening, I really thought I was in at one of those three, but oh well.
My goal is to work for a V5 (Wachtell, Cravath, Skadden, Sullivan, Davis Polk), but I just don't see that happening anymore.

I can't go into Berkeley or Penn thinking that I'm going to be in the top 10% there, so I'm contemplating volunteering for a year, retaking the LSAT later this year, and giving next year's cycle another shot. Comments?
Flames wake up uurrrly on holiday weekends.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:18 am

if this is not a flame you are a giant douchebag.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:19 am

why?!

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 am

Consider that if you retake in Dec you will be very late in the admissions cycle which will hurt your chances. You might benefit from taking it in Sept and ED at your top choice. Not everybody improves when they retake. Make sure you prepare for the LSAT.

Volunteering at a law related job will benefit you but not is the application process because you will be applying in September or October and you will only have the hours that you accumulate between now and then.

I'd go to Berkeley if I were you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 am

I would go to Berkeley if it was a t6. I think the t6 distinction is because you can reasonably get a NYC elite law job from a t6, whereas from a non-t6 you have to be at the super-top of your class to get those jobs.

Isn't that why there's a "t6" (HYSCCN), for the New York City elite corporate law jobs, and the t4 for academia (Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago)?

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:26 am

No.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:27 am

TheTopBloke wrote:No.
Then what exactly is t6? What is the point of that distinction?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:27 am

Oh poor baby, someone might not get a spot at Wachtell. Waah! Hope Mom and Dad can help you out when you're living in the gutter.

F.L.A.M.E.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:29 am

Threads like this make me want to /self.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:30 am

depressed0L wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:No.
Then what exactly is t6? What is the point of that distinction?
I mean no, law school is not worth it.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am

should I retake then? I mean I'm only 20 (about to turn 21 in two weeks), (came in with a ton of AP), so its not like I'll be too old by the time I graduate law school (23 if I go, 24 if I wait)
Last edited by depressed0L on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am

depressed0L wrote:why?!
Because you are are apparently coming straight out of ug saying "I want to work for V5 because I am a huge prestige whore."
which is actually okay in my book if you know what you are talking about. But your post just reeks of not knowing shit about what any of the above firms do except that a company named "Vault" called them the top 5.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am

No.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 am

rando wrote:
Because you are are apparently coming straight out of ug saying "I want to work for V5 because I am a huge prestige whore."
which is actually okay in my book if you know what you are talking about. But your post just reeks of not knowing shit about what any of the above firms do except that a company named "Vault" called them the top 5.
Well, how are you getting your law school rankings? Its UNSWR followed by 14 isn't it? Hypocritical, isn't it?

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:39 am

Yes, I am a prestige whore, I feel fine with it.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 am

depressed0L wrote:
rando wrote:
Well, how are you getting your law school rankings? Its UNSWR followed by 14 isn't it? Hypocritical, isn't it?
You just made an enormous assumption about how I chose my school. Yet I wasn't the one posting about how I only got into the T7+, wtf.

Not to mention, but the prestige-whoring (USNWR) just to prestige-whore (Vault) again as a 0L is a bit over the top.

Just explaining to you why you have been labeled.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:40 am

depressed0L wrote:Yes, I am a prestige whore, I feel fine with it.

Your moniker doesn't agree. Neither does your initial post.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:42 am

I *am* a prestige whore. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just trying to understand if I should wait out a year, do something interesting, and reapply with the hopes of V5.

My moniker is depressed0L, I'm pursuing prestige but I can't get into a t6, so I'm depressed, I'm fine with chasing prestige, I'm not fine with my current situation, what about my moniker or my post is inconsistent with my prestige whoredom.

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am

That's the problem. You're a whore.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:44 am

depressed0L wrote:I *am* a prestige whore. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just trying to understand if I should wait out a year, do something interesting, and reapply with the hopes of V5.

My moniker is depressed0L, I'm pursuing prestige but I can't get into a t6, so I'm depressed, I'm fine with chasing prestige, I'm not fine with my current situation, what about my moniker or my post is inconsistent with my prestige whoredom.
Yep, definitely a flame

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:45 am

TheTopBloke wrote:That's the problem. You're a whore.
Berkeley doesn't secure its law students private sector jobs, really, I'm not sure what they do.
MVP are good, but not NYC V5 good.
Chicago is phenomenal, whereas the other two - Columbia and NYU - feed right into these firms.
That's my concern.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:46 am

depressed0L wrote:I *am* a prestige whore. Nothing wrong with it, I'm just trying to understand if I should wait out a year, do something interesting, and reapply with the hopes of V5.

The fact that you are depressed about it is not consistent with you being 'fine' with it. Either way. I don't really give a shit. You are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. Not my problem. Again, just pointing out for you why people call you a douche and why you'll probably encounter that real-life moniker in the future.
Last edited by rando on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:49 am

depressed0L wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:That's the problem. You're a whore.
Berkeley doesn't secure its law students private sector jobs, really, I'm not sure what they do.
MVP are good, but not NYC V5 good.
Chicago is phenomenal, whereas the other two - Columbia and NYU - feed right into these firms.
That's my concern.
You still haven't addressed the concern that you, as a 20 yr old 0L appear to have no clue what separates a V5 firm from a V10, 20 etc. Nor what you will be doing as an associate at said firm. And that is just assuming that you succeed in LS to get to V5.

depressed0L

New

Post by depressed0L » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:49 am

rando wrote:

The fact that you are depressed about it not consistent with you being 'fine' with it. Either way. I don't really give a shit. You are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment. Not my problem. Again, just pointing out for you why people call you a douche and why you'll probably encounter that real-life moniker in the future.
I'm fine with being a prestige whore but depressed in my progress toward prestige, what about that is so hard to understand!?!?!??!??!!?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”