Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Geat27
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby Geat27 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:56 am

I have heard this alleged several times, and I'm not saying it's not possible, but no one has convinced me that it's true.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby traehekat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:16 am

NOPE.

User avatar
acrossthelake
Posts: 4432
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:33 am

traehekat wrote:NOPE.


Note to OP: If your sarcasm meter didn't go off, this is what that was.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:34 am

Yes. Sometimes they err a little on the cautious side.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby eandy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:39 am

If they have been lying, HOW COME EVERYONE HAS A RICH TTT FRIEND? hmm? EXPLAIN DAT.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:46 am

eandy wrote:If they have been lying, HOW COME EVERYONE HAS A RICH TTT FRIEND? hmm? EXPLAIN DAT.


EVERYONE has one.

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby thwalls » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:02 am

Smells like JDU troll bait.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:04 am

thwalls wrote:Smells like JDU troll bait.


seriously, over the last three months they have been coming out of the woodwork on here.

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby thwalls » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:09 am

gwuorbust wrote:
thwalls wrote:Smells like JDU troll bait.


seriously, over the last three months they have been coming out of the woodwork on here.


If you ever go over there you'd find that they are on a mission to educate us about the perils of a legal education.


*Edited to remove excess troll bait.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:19 am

thwalls wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
thwalls wrote:Smells like JDU troll bait.


seriously, over the last three months they have been coming out of the woodwork on here.


If you ever go over there you'd find that they are on a mission to educate us about the perils of a legal education.


*Edited to remove excess troll bait.


anyone with half a brain should be able to figure out that attending a TTTT at sticker is a recipe for disaster. those that can't deserve 200k in debt for attending Florida Coastal et. al.

thwalls
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:28 am

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby thwalls » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:26 am

gwuorbust wrote:
thwalls wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
thwalls wrote:Smells like JDU troll bait.


seriously, over the last three months they have been coming out of the woodwork on here.


If you ever go over there you'd find that they are on a mission to educate us about the perils of a legal education.


*Edited to remove excess troll bait.


anyone with half a brain should be able to figure out that attending a TTTT at sticker is a recipe for disaster. those that can't deserve 200k in debt for attending Florida Coastal et. al.


I think the smart ones over here already realize that, in this economy, investing in a legal education is a gamble. The smart ones either A. Go to a top ranked law school and perform well enough to stay well above the median, or B. Go to a regional state school, with a decent scholarship, that is well established in its market.

Does either one guarantee a great/good/decent job after law school? No.

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:32 am

They don't misrepresent, they simply give the information they were provided with. Median salaries are collected through a survey filled out by the students. If a student doesn't fill it out or isn't employed, they don't get $0 as their salary, they just throw it out. I'm not going to say which school it is, but there is one that I saw that had a relatively high median salary, but the count was only considering 30% of the graduating class. Others probably just didn't fill out the survey.

User avatar
truffleshuffle
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby truffleshuffle » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:35 am

JessicaTiger wrote:They don't misrepresent, they simply give the information they were provided with. Median salaries are collected through a survey filled out by the students. If a student doesn't fill it out or isn't employed, they don't get $0 as their salary, they just throw it out. I'm not going to say which school it is, but there is one that I saw that had a relatively high median salary, but the count was only considering 30% of the graduating class. Others probably just didn't fill out the survey.


TTTulane?

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby TheTopBloke » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:36 am

Probably.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Have law schools been misrepresenting median salary data?

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:33 am

truffleshuffle wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:They don't misrepresent, they simply give the information they were provided with. Median salaries are collected through a survey filled out by the students. If a student doesn't fill it out or isn't employed, they don't get $0 as their salary, they just throw it out. I'm not going to say which school it is, but there is one that I saw that had a relatively high median salary, but the count was only considering 30% of the graduating class. Others probably just didn't fill out the survey.


TTTulane?


bingo, you caught my soon-to-be school. that was for the 2007 class where they said median = 140k

for 2008 class something like 70% reported and median went down to 90k.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests