Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
SJU2010
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 am

Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby SJU2010 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Im just confused b/c some schools ask for an essay describing your accomplishments and reasons for success in law school and law BUT then they ask for an optional and separate diversity essay describing the hardships the applicant overcame. Can I just include that in my initial PT???

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:30 pm

if they say they want 2 essays, write 2 essays.

ilovemulch
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby ilovemulch » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:31 pm

SJU2010 wrote:Im just confused b/c some schools ask for an essay describing your accomplishments and reasons for success in law school and law BUT then they ask for an optional and separate diversity essay describing the hardships the applicant overcame. Can I just include that in my initial PT???


which schools are you referring to?

User avatar
SJU2010
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 am

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby SJU2010 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 pm

ilovemulch wrote:
SJU2010 wrote:Im just confused b/c some schools ask for an essay describing your accomplishments and reasons for success in law school and law BUT then they ask for an optional and separate diversity essay describing the hardships the applicant overcame. Can I just include that in my initial PT???


which schools are you referring to?



For example this is what the St. Johns University application requests.


Please submit a personal statement or short essay with your application. You may select any topic you wish. Here are some suggested topics:
    your decision to pursue a career in law
    your reaction to a recent current affairs event
    your feelings about a particular community service or extracurricular activity with which you have been involved
    your reaction to a particular item you may have read recently (fiction, nonfiction, or poetry), whether in an article or a book

If there are economic, cultural, or social factors that have been significant in your development and identity, or that have presented obstacles to you and you wish the Admissions Committee to consider those factors in evaluating your application, please provide a supplementary statement describing these obstacles.

cartercl
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby cartercl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:15 pm

SJU2010 wrote:Im just confused b/c some schools ask for an essay describing your accomplishments and reasons for success in law school and law BUT then they ask for an optional and separate diversity essay describing the hardships the applicant overcame. Can I just include that in my initial PT???


Well, you can do whatever you want. But if you don't want to seem like another applicant who can't follow directions then I'd suggest doing it the way the school wants you to. Don't really understand the confusion here...

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby merichard87 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 pm

There's a PS and an optional DS. What's confusing?

User avatar
SJU2010
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:21 am

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby SJU2010 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:31 pm

merichard87 wrote:There's a PS and an optional DS. What's confusing?


Can I include the optional topic in my PS since that topic covers my PS topic or am I forced to write two separate ones simply b/c they say diversity is part of an optional essay?

efelleman
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby efelleman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:34 pm

.
Last edited by efelleman on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby merichard87 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Write whateva the fuck you want in your PS. Then if there's something that you feel the adcomms should know about you that's not in the PS you can write a DS but its still only optional. What's hard about this?

User avatar
OkieGirl
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:08 am

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby OkieGirl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:51 pm

I wrote both a PS and DS for all schools. I discussed my TFA experience in the PS. I briefly, I mean VERY briefly, mentioned my upbringing/background in the PS but fully disclosed everything in the DS. Once I started writing, I was relieved to have both options available and had to actually cut-down quite a bit on both essays!

User avatar
capitalacq
Posts: 639
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:42 am

Re: Diversity/hard life story need to be separate?

Postby capitalacq » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:46 pm

SJU2010 wrote:
merichard87 wrote:There's a PS and an optional DS. What's confusing?


Can I include the optional topic in my PS since that topic covers my PS topic or am I forced to write two separate ones simply b/c they say diversity is part of an optional essay?

you can include the optional topic in your PS. Some adcomms even express their appreciation for this conciseness




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Finickywalrus and 4 guests