I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:01 pm

MTal wrote:
Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::


or play Atari in your grandma's basement while surfin' TLS

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby MTal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:
Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::


or play Atari in your grandma's basement while surfin' TLS


My guess is this is much more likely to happen when you plop down 100k plus to attend a rancid to TTT as....ahem....some here are currently doing.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Grizz » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 pm

MTal wrote:
truffleshuffle wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:Matthies is trying to convince these kids that they should blow $150,000 of money they don't have on a legal education. This guy is a joke.


All he is saying is that if your going to go the Law school you better put forth fucking effort looking for a job and don't sit around waiting for everything to fall in your goddamn lap.


Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::


I AM A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE AND I REFUSE TO BELIEVE OTHERWISE!

Mommy and Daddy said it, so there.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:30 pm

This Thread. It just won't die...

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm

lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:05 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.


lol @ Northwestern for being in the middle of the country

lol @ GULC students trolling Northwestern

lol @ WUSTL for being WUSTL

awinedarksea
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby awinedarksea » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 pm

As someone who just took a leave of absence from a top-20 law school because of the shitty job prospects, I do not recommend going to a school outside the top 10 or 15 if it involves taking on any debt and/or you want to go into BigLaw or civil rights or similarly competitive areas of the law. The job market is MISERABLE and is going to stay that way for a long time to come. I pat myself on the back for my decision to leave law school every time I get an e-mail from the dean trying to give panic-stricken students some feeble hope of finding jobs...

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.


lol @ Northwestern for being in the middle of the country

lol @ GULC students trolling Northwestern

lol @ WUSTL for being WUSTL

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
OliverWendellHomie
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:19 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby OliverWendellHomie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 am

Ahhh this thread is great. The arrogance of 0Ls is quite a spectacle.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:32 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:lol @ Northwestern, I wish I could go to a school named after a random direction.

I lol'd.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:34 pm

I just looked at the expected 2010 NALP Data for the major firms in my target markets (San Fran Bay area+Chicago) and I must admit, I am now terrified of going to law school.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm

So don't go.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm

kalvano wrote:So don't go.


Ehh the terror can be my motivation.. it definitely shortened the list of schools Im applying to and the price I am willing to pay though.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby ResolutePear » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
kalvano wrote:So don't go.


Ehh the terror can be my motivation.. it definitely shortened the list of schools Im applying to and the price I am willing to pay though.


There's somebody at the door for you, he's called opportunity.

He's Chuck Norris' cousin, if you didn't know already.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby General Tso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:26 pm

MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:
Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::


or play Atari in your grandma's basement while surfin' TLS


My guess is this is much more likely to happen when you plop down 100k plus to attend a rancid to TTT as....ahem....some here are currently doing.


Dude you went to Stetson? I see now why you gave it up...

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby observationalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:05 pm

observationalist wrote:Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.


Thanks and good luck. You are an incredibly valuable asset to TLS and to the legal community.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:12 pm

General Tso wrote:
MTal wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:
MTal wrote:
Yeah, all you need to do is "work hard" and "network".

::snicker::


or play Atari in your grandma's basement while surfin' TLS


My guess is this is much more likely to happen when you plop down 100k plus to attend a rancid to TTT as....ahem....some here are currently doing.


Dude you went to Stetson? I see now why you gave it up...


:?:

powerlurker
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby powerlurker » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:25 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23858
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Thirteen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
observationalist wrote:Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.


Thanks and good luck. You are an incredibly valuable asset to TLS and to the legal community.


+1

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:37 pm

powerlurker wrote:--ImageRemoved--


I'm thinking.. 25 bucks. Okay, fine - 30 bucks.

User avatar
seeodywhy
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby seeodywhy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I don't understand. Why be mean to the guy? I know some of you believe he may be lying about his credentials but come on. That is absolutley no reason to attack the man personally. Somehow we all manage to avoid lashing out at assholes all day then get behind a keyboard and grow brass balls. Stop being dicks. Some of the info in this thread is worthwhile. Without the 15 pages worth of people acting like preschoolers some people may actually get some advice about the other side of the coin.

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby observationalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
observationalist wrote:Because the OP/flame happened to mention the Law School Transparency Project, I want to point out that we're set to make our official information request on Monday. Schools will have 60 days to commit to disclosing full employment lists in the future, and then come next February (when schools report Class of 2010 data to ABA/NALP/USNews) we will post the information we received and hopefully shed some more light on the jobs that are out there. Someone recommended that we include average debt levels in addition to starting salaries, which I think combined would do a lot to show prospectives how much law school actually costs compared to potential earnings (for at least the first year).

If anyone's aware of surveys their school does for graduates 2/5/10-years out, we're interested in potentially documenting that as well. For at least some schools, graduates have a hard time getting work in the first year but may be doing better down the road if they apprentice up with solo practitioners in smaller markets.

G'luck to people still figuring out where (or if) to go. I had a great three years, and am happy my school is paying for me to do public interest work down in Chile with my SO after this whole bar exam business is over.


Thanks and good luck. You are an incredibly valuable asset to TLS and to the legal community.


+1


Thanks gang. Be sure to voice your support at school if you think it's worth it for them to commit to releasing more information.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:36 pm

seeodywhy wrote:I don't understand. Why be mean to the guy? I know some of you believe he may be lying about his credentials but come on. That is absolutley no reason to attack the man personally. Somehow we all manage to avoid lashing out at assholes all day then get behind a keyboard and grow brass balls. Stop being dicks. Some of the info in this thread is worthwhile. Without the 15 pages worth of people acting like preschoolers some people may actually get some advice about the other side of the coin.

You tell 'em dude!!! Rock on!

So Cliff Lee to the Rangers. Thank fucking god the Yankees blew that one.

Image

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 am

observationalist wrote:Thanks gang. Be sure to voice your support at school if you think it's worth it for them to commit to releasing more information.

Will be sending an email to the relevant parties shortly.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests