I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EnriqueL

Bronze

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Matthies wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Matthies wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:Outside of T14: almost certain to be career suicide. Don't go. It's pure insanity or stupidity to go.
Wow really I wish I had known this before I started working with my T2 law degree, I could have saved myself allot of time doing this time consuming legal stuff for money and just said I'm destined for career suicide so why even try. instead I'm stuck working with my TTT JD. WTF I got totally screwed this working thing is a lot of work! They expect me to do shit and know things and stuff and even write about it. Who can I blame for me having a job? Should I re-take the LSAT and get into a lower top 14 and re-do law school so I have at least a 50% chance of not having to work as a lawyer?
You know very well that the vast majority of T2 graduates are suffering. Just because you hit the jackpot doesn't mean you have to push other people to take the most insane gamble of all higher education.
Well this I know: the vast magority of my freinds from the class of 2009 are working as lawyers. The ones that are not probably won't unless A- someone walks up to them and hands then a job or B - i find them a job (which i astonished to say I was actually able to do for someone I thought would never be able to find something on his own, well in that respect I guess I was right).

Here is what I know:
The vast majority of law graduates will not get jobs through their school

The vast majority of law grads will absolutely suck at finding anything on their own

Therefore a large number will go unemployed until they luck into something, give up, or take a crap job from craisglist because that is the only way they know how to find a job.

None of the above is law schools fault. It is the fault of law students being unrealistic and doing little to no preparation for finding a job if one is not handed to them.

Not everyone should go to law school I agree. The problem is many who go to law school do so because they "can't find a job with X liberal arts degree." These are the people that probably should not go to any law school because they are the most likely to get screwed. The sad fact is those will be the same people who if they are not given a job by the school will in three years create posts like this saying I can't find a job with my JD. Maybe its closer to the truth that they just can't find a on job on their own, JD, PHD, MBA.
Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to award the first set of rose-colored glasses to...Matthies.

Conclusion: you had connections.

The vast "magority" of TTT grads are not working as professional attorneys. If you can't doc review and some six month third-party-funded temporary position at a nonprof "working as a lawyer" then you are deluded as all hell.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to award the first set of rose-colored glasses to...Matthies.

The vast "magority" of TTT grads are not working as professional attorneys. If you can't doc review and some six month third-party-funded temporary position at a nonprof "working as a lawyer" then you are deluded as all hell.
Sorry about the tiny penis.
Now you're commenting about other men's penises.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:41 pm

EL = TTTGrad

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:43 pm

what's the point of this thread again?

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

EnriqueL wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to award the first set of rose-colored glasses to...Matthies.

Well I'm the one actually working as lawyer and not bitching about it. I like my results better than yours.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm

CG614 wrote:EL = TTTGrad

Please don't diminish the substandard quality of my TTT JD with that accusation.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Matthies wrote:
EnriqueL wrote: Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to award the first set of rose-colored glasses to...Matthies.

Well I'm the one actually working as lawyer and not bitching about it. I like my results better than yours.
Fair enough. Just don't go around pretending that you're the norm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:47 pm

Matthies wrote:

Please don't diminish the substandard quality of my TTT JD with that accusation.
I think he meant the user TTTGrad.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 pm

i gave up on this thread about 10 pages ago... but i just want to present the best avatar award to... Matthies.

carry on.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Enriquel, I'm looking for life advice.

I've narrowed down my options to the following:

1. Attend GeorgeTTTown
2. Substitute teach
3. Join Army
4. Move to Alaska, work as either a logger or maybe a crab fisherman
5. Sell drugs, I figure I could probably do it and run a pretty solid operation
6. Become drifter, I can juggle/ play recorder/ dance/ suck cock...so I figure I can make enough money to survive

TYIA

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 pm

The bad thing about these "can't get a good job" threads is that you can't really get a feel for the OP. Maybe this guy weighs 400 lbs. Maybe he wears clip-on ties. Who knows? There will always be those who can't seal the deal. They generally bitch about it. A lot.

Go to any firm's Web site. People are still getting high-paying jobs. This guy can't do it. Who gives a shit?

Some can. Some can't. Some of us will. Some of us won't.

Connections can be made. Make some connections. Make good grades. Be better than "above median." Lose the gut. Get off the Internet once in a while. Quit bitching.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:54 pm

D. H2Oman wrote: 6. Become drifter, I can juggle/ play recorder/ dance/ suck cock...so I figure I can make enough money to survive

TYIA
thes are pretty much the same skills you will need to be good at biglaw, so i say go with crabfishermen, less cock more crabs

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Matthies wrote:

I think he meant the user TTTGrad.
Correct.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 pm

chrisokc wrote:The bad thing about these "can't get a good job" threads is that you can't really get a feel for the OP. Maybe this guy weighs 400 lbs. Maybe he wears clip-on ties. Who knows? There will always be those who can't seal the deal. They generally bitch about it. A lot.

Go to any firm's Web site. People are still getting high-paying jobs. This guy can't do it. Who gives a shit?

Connections can be made. Make some connections. Make good grades. Be better than "above median." Lose the gut. Get off the Internet once in a while. Quit bitching.
this is exactly what I've been saying this whole time. When you apply to school they don't care how you look etc. which doesn't even matter in admissions, but when you're job "hunting" it matters!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Miracle wrote:
chrisokc wrote:The bad thing about these "can't get a good job" threads is that you can't really get a feel for the OP. Maybe this guy weighs 400 lbs. Maybe he wears clip-on ties. Who knows? There will always be those who can't seal the deal. They generally bitch about it. A lot.

this is exactly what I've been saying this whole time. When you apply to school they don't care how you look etc. which doesn't even matter in admissions, but when you're job "hunting" it matters!
There are some people out there who are unhirable based solely on the image they present. It's unfortunate. They rarely are aware of the problem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Eh...I spoke too soon. Anyone wanna go back to talking about SC and cigarette taxes?

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:15 pm

chrisokc wrote:
Miracle wrote:

There are some people out there who are unhirable based solely on the image they present. It's unfortunate. They rarely are aware of the problem.
Agree with everything you said!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 pm

For those still asking what this thread is about, I made a video to save everybody some time. Just the general jist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO1LrEXhHV4

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:46 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Enriquel, I'm looking for life advice.

I've narrowed down my options to the following:

1. Attend GeorgeTTTown
2. Substitute teach
3. Join Army
4. Move to Alaska, work as either a logger or maybe a crab fisherman
5. Sell drugs, I figure I could probably do it and run a pretty solid operation
6. Become drifter, I can juggle/ play recorder/ dance/ suck cock...so I figure I can make enough money to survive

TYIA
Teach if you can get a position. Alaska sounds awesome.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 pm

I can't believe you need to find yet another excuse to say to yourself, "Ah, that can never happen to me."

I'm actually of moderate weight (more thin than fat) and dress well.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Dammit, I leave for a few hours and ppl are taking Enriq seriously again! Hey guys:

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:Dammit, I leave for a few hours and ppl are taking Enriq seriously again! Hey guys:
Internet memes won't help you get a job. You're kind of too old for this.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:Dammit, I leave for a few hours and ppl are taking Enriq seriously again! Hey guys:
Well, one thing is certain - Bush didn't go to law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”