I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EnriqueL

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:The schools are bullshitting applicants. My best friends are unemployed and have to pay back over $100,000. The scam-blogs have it right. T14 Paradise, firsttiertoilet, butidideverythingright, lawschoolscam...

You guys have no idea what you're getting yourselves into. It's beyond your comprehension.

Is this the part where you tell us where you went to law school and where you graduated in your class so we have some useful information upon which to make well thought out decisions? Oh no... no it's not. Just more blanket statements and fearmongering.

If you read the rest of the thread, you can probably find out for yourself.

By the way, anyone who doesn't believe me can PM me if you have specific questions.
Last edited by EnriqueL on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
rayiner wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:I know it's around the time many will be sending the tuition deposits. Please understand that the problems in legal hiring are not cyclical. They are structural. A law degree has become the default post-graduate degree for non-technically trained students. The job situation is a complete catastrophe; and even the jobs that are available are not worth the three years and $100,000.

You should read and inform yourself. There are many really good resources online. The "scam-blogs", though often ridiculous and hyperbolic, do relay real experiences that people are having.

Before anyone asks: T14, above median, got a job that doesn't pay enough in relation to the cost of tuition. No loans. Still pissed. If I had taken on loans, life would be much, much more difficult.

Ask away. If I don't respond, it is not because I don't want to but because my message is not acceptable for the administrators.

I hope my message gets across. Don't look at the bright side or the dark side. Look at the realistic side of things.

Sincerely,

E.L.

You're employed and have no debt. Did you have a huge opportunity cost? If not, what are you complaining about? You were never worth $160k, so you can't be upset when you miss the bubble that allowed some of your peers to get it.

The schools are bullshitting applicants. My best friends are unemployed and have to pay back over $100,000. The scam-blogs have it right. T14 Paradise, firsttiertoilet, butidideverythingright, lawschoolscam...

You guys have no idea what you're getting yourselves into. It's beyond your comprehension.

Like I said, get better friends.

EnriqueL

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm

czelede wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
rayiner wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:I know it's around the time many will be sending the tuition deposits. Please understand that the problems in legal hiring are not cyclical. They are structural. A law degree has become the default post-graduate degree for non-technically trained students. The job situation is a complete catastrophe; and even the jobs that are available are not worth the three years and $100,000.

You should read and inform yourself. There are many really good resources online. The "scam-blogs", though often ridiculous and hyperbolic, do relay real experiences that people are having.

Before anyone asks: T14, above median, got a job that doesn't pay enough in relation to the cost of tuition. No loans. Still pissed. If I had taken on loans, life would be much, much more difficult.

Ask away. If I don't respond, it is not because I don't want to but because my message is not acceptable for the administrators.

I hope my message gets across. Don't look at the bright side or the dark side. Look at the realistic side of things.

Sincerely,

E.L.

You're employed and have no debt. Did you have a huge opportunity cost? If not, what are you complaining about? You were never worth $160k, so you can't be upset when you miss the bubble that allowed some of your peers to get it.

The schools are bullshitting applicants. My best friends are unemployed and have to pay back over $100,000. The scam-blogs have it right. T14 Paradise, firsttiertoilet, butidideverythingright, lawschoolscam...

OK, Rush/Glenn/Sarah.

truffleshuffle

Postby truffleshuffle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Unitas wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
yinz wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:The schools are bullshitting applicants. My best friends are unemployed and have to pay back over $100,000. The scam-blogs have it right. T14 Paradise, firsttiertoilet, butidideverythingright, lawschoolscam...

You certainly are persistant; three straight hours of this. Speaking of, why the hell aren't you working and instead are preaching to idealistic brats?

Because the thought of people buying into the prestige and hype makes me furious at the law schools for not being honest.

You're about to be a lawyer. If they are that much of a true scam, SUE THEM BURN THEM.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:44 pm

EnriqueL wrote:If you read the rest of the thread, you can probably find out for yourself.

By the way, anyone who doesn't believe me can PM me if you have specific questions
. I love trolling!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Dude Enrique Obama is in power and he will pay my mortgage and I will subsist off government handouts duh.

If law school falls through, my backup is to buy cigarettes from Indian tribes and sell them in NY for $10 a pack.

truffleshuffle

Postby truffleshuffle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:47 pm

rad law wrote:Dude Enrique Obama is in power and he will pay my mortgage and I will subsist off government handouts duh.

If law school falls through, my backup is to buy cigarettes from Indian tribes and sell them in NY for $10 a pack.

Forget jobs, I'm wondering if we will have a country by the time I graduate.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:47 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:You guys have no idea what you're getting yourselves into. It's beyond your comprehension.

http://news.malaysia.msn.com/top-stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4186050

Hahaha awesome.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:49 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:
rad law wrote:Dude Enrique Obama is in power and he will pay my mortgage and I will subsist off government handouts duh.

Option 3 is stockpile automatic weapons and like in a compound in Wyoming.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 pm

I had a friend (well more of a friend of a friend) who used to deal pot in NY. He then switched to running cigarettes from low tax states into NY. He said the profit margin was similar but the penalties he faced if prosecuted were much lower.

truffleshuffle

Postby truffleshuffle » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:51 pm

rad law wrote:
truffleshuffle wrote:

Me and my entire family are in. I grew up on a farm so food will be no big deal.
Being the next Waco or Ruby Ridge > Being the next millionaire law firm partner.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:51 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
czelede wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:

OK, Rush/Glenn/Sarah.

Well, I mean, by your logic: your best friends are unemployed and have huge loans --> schools are bullshitting applicants. So, similarly, my best friends (and friends of friends, and friends of family) are employed and doing very well for themselves --> you are bullshitting us.

We have no idea what we're getting ourselves into? Do you really think you are the only graduate from a law school that anyone on this forum has encountered before? Like our entire decision to go to law school has been based on sheltered whim and fancy?

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:51 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:

I had a friend (well more of a friend of a friend) who used to deal pot in NY. He then switched to running cigarettes from low tax states South Carolina into NY. He said the profit margin was similar but the penalties he faced if prosecuted were much lower.

FTFY. SC taxes are just sooo low and they don't use tax stamps.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:51 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:

I had a friend (well more of a friend of a friend) who used to deal pot in NY. He then switched to running cigarettes from low tax states into NY. He said the profit margin was similar but the penalties he faced if prosecuted were much lower.

Cigarettes are $10 a pack in NY!?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:52 pm

OP seems legit.

You guys are all acting like a bunch of T3 0Ls who are told "don't go to law school."

They ignore all the logic/experience/advice/blogs.

They don't even consider for a second that what the person is telling them might be right.
Instead they come up with a predetermined outcome (that law school is the right choice) and then try to come up with arguments that justify the decision.

I always thought that T3 students were being stupid when they were repeatedly warned and still wanted to go. I thought, "their silly, I know its their dream, but clearly this won't work out for them." I couldn't understand how they could ignore the logic.

After seeing all the posts in response to OP, I now understand the T3s. I'm thinking to myself (as I'm sure many of you are) "its okay I'm going to be well above median! I'll do extra well. Getting a job won't be a problem for ME- it will be other peoples problem." Denial is an ugly thing.

Lots of irony and hypocrisy in this thread.
Last edited by Nicholasnickynic on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:OP seems legit.

You guys are all acting like a bunch of T3 0Ls who are told "don't go to law school."

They don't even consider for a second that what the person is telling them might be right.
Instead they come up with a predetermined outcome (that law school is the right choice) and then try to come up with arguments that justify the decision.

I always thought that T3 students were being stupid when they were repeatedly warned and still wanted to go. I thought, "their silly, I know its their dream, but clearly this won't work out for them." I couldn't understand how they could ignore the logic.

After seeing all the posts in response to OP, I now understand the T3s. I'm thinking to myself (as I'm sure many of you are) "its okay I'm going to be well above median! I'll do extra good."

What? No, OP just hasn't said anything important or different. We all know about the crummy job market, but he won't even give us basic facts about his experience. He just said he has no debt and a job, but likes to whine.

He doesn't mention school, actual rank, or current job type.
Last edited by Unitas on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:54 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:

I hear human trafficking is pretty profitable and the penalties are less than drugs, too.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:54 pm

truffleshuffle wrote:
rad law wrote:
truffleshuffle wrote:

Me and my entire family are in. I grew up on a farm so food will be no big deal.
Being the next Waco or Ruby Ridge > Being the next millionaire law firm partner.

Hell yeah. The ATF is going to have to tear gas me out of there.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Unitas wrote:

After seeing all the posts in response to OP, I now understand the T3s. I'm thinking to myself (as I'm sure many of you are) "its okay I'm going to be well above median! I'll do extra good."

What? No, OP just hasn't said anything important or different. We all know about the crummy job market, but he won't even give us basic facts about his experience. He just said he has no debt and a job, but likes to whine.

Doesn't mention school, actual rank, or job type.

Above t14, above median, 50k job.

Do you really need to know more?

He did better than 95% of people that go to law school (above median t14). Yet hes making 50k (I gaurantee that many people who go to a worse school/finish worse off etc picture themselves making more than that). People don't like hearing what he has to say.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 pm

After seeing all the posts in response to OP, I now understand the T3s. I'm thinking to myself (as I'm sure many of you are) "its okay I'm going to be well above median! I'll do extra well. Getting a job won't be a problem for ME- it will be other peoples problem." Denial is an ugly thing.

dude, the majority of markets - not just legal - are in a tailspin. What blows my mind is people going $80-$100k in debt for a freaking BA/BS degree.

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 pm

What makes you think we're T3 students? OP says that outside of YALE, few law schools are worth going to. In no way am I justifying going to a T3, or even a T2. But I know plenty of people at T10 (or even T25) that are doing just fine, and I doubt that every single one of them is the exception to the rule.

Furthermore, I HAVE done my research, thank you. I don't expect law school to be a guarantee of employment and money and ~dreams fulfilled~ but honestly, what kind of school is? You always run the risk of not getting where you want to go, of not being able to find a job in this economy. We're not idiots. There's a difference between understanding that gamble and making the decision to pursue what we want and just blindly pursuing an obvious loss.

EnriqueL

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Unitas wrote:

He did better than 95% of people that go to law school (above median t14). Yet hes making 50k (I gaurantee that many people who go to a worse school/finish worse off etc picture themselves making more than that). People don't like hearing what he has to say.

Good grief. Thanks a lot, Nick.

KibblesAndVick

Postby KibblesAndVick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:57 pm

rad law wrote:
KibblesAndVick wrote:

I hear human trafficking is pretty profitable and the penalties are less than drugs, too.

We can just defend ourselves instead of hiring lawyers when we get arrested too. Cuts out a lot of the overhead. I've actually heard that below median T-14 grads are finding opportunities as drug mules in the Southwest.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Yes, you really do need to know more. He isn't helping anyone with information that isn't enlightening or helpful. The fact he doesn't say more is an indication that he is either being dishonest or hiding something.

He hasn't passed the bar and is making 50k in one of the worst economic climates since the great depression.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:<<stupid things>>

Wait, what? Who has defended going to TTTs? OP is warning against going T14 with NO DEBT! Not AT ALL the same thing.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”