I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:Who the fuck cares?

Let me expand on that.

There are people throughout the world being raped, murdered, starving, as well as suffering through numerous other sensationalistic things. None of them give a shit if you hate your 50k a year job. They also don't give a shit if you are stuck with 100k debt because you made a decision that turned out badly. Suck it up, work hard, pay back debt, life goes on. Tons of people are in debt. Tons of people work jobs they hate for shit money, minimum wage, and are dissatisfied.

This whole upper class life narrative control thing that dominates the world view of people on this forum can swallow up people who are just trying to make an informed decision, but we have to try and pull ourselves back from drifting away into complete lunacy. Life is hard, stop being fucking babies.


Lunacy? That's applying to law school.


No, lunacy is the need to constantly lament law school as the WORST thing that could possibly happen. Life isn't bubble wrapped with easy decisions, sometimes you take chances and they work out. Sometimes you take chances and they don't work out. The worst possible case scenario for most people attending law school is like a fucking tropical vacation. Gain some perspective.


Your logical ability tells me that you definitely did not get into Yale. "Gain some perspective?" I'm done with law school, while you have yet to begin. I know what it's like, you don't. Stop making yourself look ridiculous.


Who is ridiculous? The person announcing that even APPLYING to law school is lunacy on a message board full of people applying and attending? You, my friend, did not learn how to pick your battles, wherever you went to school.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:01 pm

sumus romani wrote:25% got BigLaw? What the blazes?



I take it that you think that the proper number is lower!? Or do you mean higher? I suspect the former, but I'd be interested in seeing a specific number from you. The 25% comes from what other people say on here and other message boards for C and GULC, but as you know, schools are not interested in truly informing prospective students about employment.[/quote]

If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Are we talking about a law school or a street gang?



Image


I love the pic fail.. Better than any pic you meant to use.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Jas wrote:
Who is ridiculous? The person announcing that even APPLYING to law school is lunacy on a message board full of people applying and attending? You, my friend, did not learn how to pick your battles, wherever you went to school.


My message is more for the lurkers. I know you guys are going to savage me no matter what because your head is buried in the sand.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:02 pm

What fail? Do you not see it?

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm

EnriqueL wrote:It's also a question of my jobless friends not having their resumes thrown in the trash.

LOLWUT!? We are NOT hiring partners! We are future/current law school students! We are in no position to make hiring decisions regarding you or your classmates! WTF do you not get about this?
sumus romani wrote:Why on earth is the OP's school relevant?

Because he said (or implied, don't remember which) that HALF the grads of his T14 are UNEMPLOYED. I'm not trying to gather specific info on a certain school, but this seems abysmal and I at least want to know that this is an actual T14 alum before taking it seriously. If his school fucked him and his colleagues so royally with pipe dreams and debt, why not disclose? The idea that telling a message board for CURRENT/FUTURE LAW STUDENTS will further diminish his chances of meaningful employment is ludicrous.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:04 pm

kalvano wrote:What fail? Do you not see it?

It says "Please Don't Steal My Bandwith, I Need The Money To Buy Alcohol. http://www.decadentlifestyle.net"

I believe that isn't the pic you intended to put?

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Unitas wrote:
kalvano wrote:What fail? Do you not see it?

It says "Please Don't Steal My Bandwith, I Need The Money To Buy Alcohol. http://www.decadentlifestyle.net"

I believe that isn't the pic you intended to put?



Lulz. No, it's not.

I fixed it.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:It's also a question of my jobless friends not having their resumes thrown in the trash.

LOLWUT!? We are NOT hiring partners! We are future/current law school students! We are in no position to make hiring decisions regarding you or your classmates! WTF do you not get about this?
sumus romani wrote:Why on earth is the OP's school relevant?

Because he said (or implied, don't remember which) that HALF the grads of his T14 are UNEMPLOYED. I'm not trying to gather specific info on a certain school, but this seems abysmal and I at least want to know that this is an actual T14 alum before taking it seriously. If his school fucked him and his colleagues so royally with pipe dreams and debt, why not disclose? The idea that telling a message board for CURRENT/FUTURE LAW STUDENTS will further diminish his chances of meaningful employment is ludicrous.


You have no idea how badly I want to say what school it is...

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:It's also a question of my jobless friends not having their resumes thrown in the trash.

LOLWUT!? We are NOT hiring partners! We are future/current law school students! We are in no position to make hiring decisions regarding you or your classmates! WTF do you not get about this?
sumus romani wrote:Why on earth is the OP's school relevant?

Because he said (or implied, don't remember which) that HALF the grads of his T14 are UNEMPLOYED. I'm not trying to gather specific info on a certain school, but this seems abysmal and I at least want to know that this is an actual T14 alum before taking it seriously. If his school fucked him and his colleagues so royally with pipe dreams and debt, why not disclose? The idea that telling a message board for CURRENT/FUTURE LAW STUDENTS will further diminish his chances of meaningful employment is ludicrous.


I think he thinks that the hiring partners are looking on with the lurkers, just waiting for a cue to shred one of the piles of resumes that wait hopefully on their desks.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

EnriqueL wrote:You have no idea how badly I want to say what school it is...

Still trying to choose?

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

EnriqueL wrote:My message is more for the lurkers. I know you guys are going to savage me no matter what because your head is buried in the sand.


I don't think you understand what a forum lurker is.

But besides that, you are a flaming, trolling idiot in general.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.


This thread, without knowing the school is pointless... If anything you should be warning future students to THAT school, because that is what your experience is with.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

bk1 wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:My message is more for the lurkers. I know you guys are going to savage me no matter what because your head is buried in the sand.


I don't think you understand what a forum lurker is.

But besides that, you are a flaming, trolling idiot in general.


Right.
:roll:

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:You have no idea how badly I want to say what school it is...

Still trying to choose?

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.


They go into federal clerkships and take home huge starting bonuses when they're finished.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:10 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.


I wouldn't call 35% BigLaw placement "that bad", especially since Yale has that low rate because their grads are so competitive for clerkships and academia. Georgetown, the next lowest T14 in BigLaw placement, has over 40% placement. That sounds like good odds, especially if you are "above median" as you claim, and especially since there is lucrative employment outside of BigLaw.

Edit: Also, sort of shows that you're full of shit with your "no more than 20% get BigLaw!" talk, and are trying to mask your inadequacy by lying about the job market.
Last edited by Bildungsroman on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby czelede » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
czelede wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Jas wrote:
You are trashing ALL LAW SCHOOLS! According to you, it is almost always a terrible decision to go to law school. What does it matter admitting that you went to one school or another? And for that matter, what does it matter to us? We are mostly still going to think you're an a-hole with nothing important to say.


If my school's real employment figures were revealed publicly, their enrollment would drop off a cliff.


I kind of doubt that a thread started by an ANONYMOUS poster on an INTERNET forum is going to single-handedly result in the demise of a T14 school. Just saying. You may be overestimating your power a little.


It's also a question of my jobless friends not having their resumes thrown in the trash.


Because a bunch of law school students and law school hopefuls have the capability to prevent deserving graduates from receiving jobs? Because by telling us that a certain university has had a lacking job turnout means firms will decide it's because the students themselves aren't qualified? I'm confused.

Here's the thing. The economy sucks...everywhere. Regardless of profession. See the point a previous poster made with regard to medical school. The finance field is tanking. I come from Aerospace Engineering, which a few years ago was noted to be one of the more stable and well-paid markets (engineering in general, that is). Following my 2009 graduation, a good half of my class was unable to find jobs and ended up attending graduate school or less, when coming into school we were given the impression that 65k starting jobs were universally available (my particular university is ranked in the top five for engineering). Does this suck? Most certainly. Is it a valid reason to not study medicine, engineering, or law? Not at all. None of these fields are a walk in the park, and to expect a payoff means you have to earn it. You know plenty of people that regret law school; all of us know plenty of people that don't. Without any evidence to back you up outside of "well I know people that aren't doing well and I regret it..." I have no idea why anybody would be persuaded to divert a career choice on your vague and uncertain warnings.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
If you include deferrals (which might not translate into jobs because the firms can pull back), then I would say between 10 and 20%, not more. It could be 25%, but that would definitely be a surprise.


http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.


I wouldn't call 35% BigLaw placement "that bad", especially since Yale has that low rate because their grads are so competitive for clerkships and academia. Georgetown, the next lowest T14 in BigLaw placement, has over 40% placement. That sounds like good odds, especially if you are "above median" as you claim.


Georgetown (edit: what my buddies call "GeorgeTTTown")?! Hardly a T14, and that figure sounds like a complete fabrication.

What source are you using?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Unitas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
Yale, the lowest T14 in terms of BigLaw placement, had 35% of its graduating class hired as NLJ associates last year.


Wow. It's that bad at Yale too? Maybe they just chose something else. At my school though, the situation is definitely not by choice.


I wouldn't call 35% BigLaw placement "that bad", especially since Yale has that low rate because their grads are so competitive for clerkships and academia. Georgetown, the next lowest T14 in BigLaw placement, has over 40% placement. That sounds like good odds, especially if you are "above median" as you claim.


Georgetown (edit: what my buddies call "GeorgeTTTown")?! Hardly a T14, and that figure sounds like a complete fabrication.

What source are you using?



Still thinking Cornell, possibly Duke given how strong the douche is with this one.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Georgetown (edit: what my buddies call "GeorgeTTTown")?! Hardly a T14, and that figure sounds like a complete fabrication.

What source are you using?


lol. If you had checked out the link I posted, you would see that my source is the National Law Journal (of NLJ 250 fame).

Also, counting fail.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby bk1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
bk1 wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:My message is more for the lurkers. I know you guys are going to savage me no matter what because your head is buried in the sand.


I don't think you understand what a forum lurker is.

But besides that, you are a flaming, trolling idiot in general.


Right.
:roll:


Nice deflection.

A lurker is someone who reads but doesn't post often (or at all). You interpreted lurker as someone who just casually reads a forum which is incorrect.

You are a troll because you are posting this merely for yourself (though you claim otherwise), so you can start an argument for its own sake (rather than trying to be truly informative).

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Unitas wrote:
I wouldn't call 35% BigLaw placement "that bad", especially since Yale has that low rate because their grads are so competitive for clerkships and academia. Georgetown, the next lowest T14 in BigLaw placement, has over 40% placement. That sounds like good odds, especially if you are "above median" as you claim.


Georgetown (edit: what my buddies call "GeorgeTTTown")?! Hardly a T14, and that figure sounds like a complete fabrication.

What source are you using?[/quote]


Still thinking Cornell, possibly Duke given how strong the douche is with this one.[/quote]





There's no way on God's green earth that Georgetown is placing 40% of its grads in BigLaw. You should call the school and ask them to clarify that number, if you are applying there. It's flat-out bullshit.

You can think what you want about my school. Doesn't matter to me.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests