I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby sumus romani » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

See also: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2009 ... hing.shtml[/quote]


Thanks for posting that. I meant to refer to recent hiring data and I appreciate it. I do see a steep decline after Y, and then after S. But admittedly, there is non-neligible hiring outside of HYCS.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

I prefer to get my money off the buttocks of young, attractive women.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby jackalope11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
You're being sarcastic, but finance is hardly cyclical these days. I have a feeling we'll all be standing in the breadline while the financiers continue minting money off our backs.



Your switches between anecdotal bad evidence for the legal profession and the rosy picture you paint for finance are pretty stunning. In case you haven't noticed, the financial sector has not been all champagne and caviar for recent grads there, either...

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:Because hurting its reputation hurts me.

This is stupid. None of us are hiring partners at law firms. Not talking specifics ruins your credibility, and I'm pretty sure there aren't many of us who actually believe you went T14 debt free. HTH.

You don't believe me that I went to a T14 debt-free? What the...

Precisely. First you attack the man for selling you a dream then you defend his anonymity in order to protect his reputation. Again, no one ITT is a hiring partner that will steer clear of grads from your "T14" because we once came across one who claimed to be unemployed. How much sense would that make? Since we can all see the stupidity in that, your refusal to disclose the information must have another justification. Hence, lies.


No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
You're being sarcastic, but finance is hardly cyclical these days. I have a feeling we'll all be standing in the breadline while the financiers continue minting money off our backs.



Your switches between anecdotal bad evidence for the legal profession and the rosy picture you paint for finance are pretty stunning. In case you haven't noticed, the financial sector has not been all champagne and caviar for recent grads there, either...


Maybe. You're right. It's not my field. You can ask me about law. I can't answer for other professions.

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

.
Last edited by FeuerFrei on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

EnriqueL wrote:No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.

Even easier not to. Plus, once you named a school real recent grads might pop up and call you out.

Plus, how would you choose!? :o

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
You're being sarcastic, but finance is hardly cyclical these days. I have a feeling we'll all be standing in the breadline while the financiers continue minting money off our backs.



Your switches between anecdotal bad evidence for the legal profession and the rosy picture you paint for finance are pretty stunning. In case you haven't noticed, the financial sector has not been all champagne and caviar for recent grads there, either...


Maybe. You're right. It's not my field. You can ask me about law. I can't answer for other professions.


The grass is always greener... unfortunately, what appeared to be a really interesting thread has boiled down to that. People really need to practice finding joy in life. In all aspects of life.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Jas wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
You're being sarcastic, but finance is hardly cyclical these days. I have a feeling we'll all be standing in the breadline while the financiers continue minting money off our backs.



Your switches between anecdotal bad evidence for the legal profession and the rosy picture you paint for finance are pretty stunning. In case you haven't noticed, the financial sector has not been all champagne and caviar for recent grads there, either...


Maybe. You're right. It's not my field. You can ask me about law. I can't answer for other professions.


The grass is always greener... unfortunately, what appeared to be a really interesting thread has boiled down to that. People really need to practice finding joy in life. In all aspects of life.


True. Hence, don't spend $150,000 and three years just because you think your job sucks.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 pm

What if your job really sucks?

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Also LOL... "finding things about arguments" is so much fun. It's what law school is all about, right?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:


"Don't go to a T19 school, become a nurse or an electrician! Their lives are all about models and bottles!"

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby jackalope11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
What does that say about the medical profession? Should everyone quit medical school because immediate financial success may or may not be on the horizon? Where did it become the norm for lawyers to demand hundreds of thousands per year in compensation immediately after graduation? You are currently studying for the bar and making $50K? What other industry allows that, prior to obtaining the required professional license?


I appreciate your effort to try to find things about my argument so that you can disbelieve me, but it's pretty obvious that I'm not working right now. I do know what my salary is though. I tend to want to know things like that before I accept a job offer.


Yet you say that you are currently employed in the legal profession, making over the median income in this country, AND you are also studying for the bar. All the while, you have stated that you have no debt load.

Yet you complain about the earning potential your degree provides, while at the same time claiming that you feel no since of entitlement. All of this, while most people would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

That is my point. I am not disbelieving you at all, nor trying to find reason to. Your arguments simply confuse me.

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

kalvano wrote:What if your job really sucks?


Well... I once worked at cleaning wormy excrement out of a building so hot that people passed out from time to time. But it was a valuable experience. And everything smelled so much nicer at home.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby rundoxierun » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

I think you can probably get into Yale if you want. If it's a question between bigLaw and working as an analyst, I would pick the latter UNLESS you LOVE the law. The hours are about the same. Law is considerably more "boring" though compared to finance.

Don't go to law school because of the prestige. Becoming a Lloyd Blankfein or a Dick Parsons after law school is extremely unlikely today.


Are you kidding me??? You are recommending working for 40-50k over working 160k for THE SAME HOURS?? Law is more "boring" compared to finance?? What world do you live in?!?! Im currently writing this post while waiting for a data warehouse query to run and give me data that i can pull into excel, write some equations and put the data in to build a spreadsheet, print it off and schedule a conference call to discuss a bunch of numbers then later right up some sequel directions to build a standardized report. No way law is significantly more "boring" than that.


I know all about Excel. I just assumed that you were working at Morgan Stanley or something sexy. If you're only making 40-50k and you get into HYS and love the law, shoot. Go. Apply. But if you do, understand that you will probably not be able to turn back. If you come out and you're working for $50k like me, you won't go crawling back to your easier Excel job because they won't take you back.

that's another problem with a JD: you become almost unemployable for anything else. Go figure.


Yea, u clearly dont know what finance is really like.. most people dont know what Finance actually is. I worked "somewhere sexy" last year and it was pretty boring as well. Only diff is that they had colorful proprietary software instead of standard excel, cognos, sequel, etc. My "excel job" isnt easy, excel is just a tool we use along with a bunch of others. And people who think you are making over 50-60k in finance w/o a masters or MBA are generally wrong(few exceptions of course.) My point is, less than 50k is what you are gonna make regardless and all the "fun" jobs make even less than that starting.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby jackalope11 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

.

Sorry accidental re-post.

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby fenway » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

i can't tell whether OP is a "flame" but assuming he/she is not I wonder about how strong his/her networking/interview capability is. either having or forming contacts is just as much important (well, depending on the contacts..) as T-14 or whatever elitist distinction you want to make in terms of school attended.

firms are going to have plenty of options as far as legal "talent" goes, but especially now the personal aspect really comes into play. i don't mean to imply that OP is some sort of pariah, but perhaps he/she needs to continue to work on playing the game. im sure it can become frustrating/demoralizing, and I haven't been put in the position myself so its hard for me to condemn OP as a bum. but i know of (anecdotal, I know) a number of friends who went to "shit" law schools but ended up with great jobs (recently too) cuz' they found a way to sneak into interviews and then aptly work the room to their benefit.

i think OP is more than justified to say LS is not always a fast lane to wealth and professional acclaim, but there are and will continue to be many opportunities available for driven lawyers who are willing to pay dues (obviously school prestige can shift the balance of "drive" required).

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:


Me too!

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:40 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

I think you can probably get into Yale if you want. If it's a question between bigLaw and working as an analyst, I would pick the latter UNLESS you LOVE the law. The hours are about the same. Law is considerably more "boring" though compared to finance.

Don't go to law school because of the prestige. Becoming a Lloyd Blankfein or a Dick Parsons after law school is extremely unlikely today.


Are you kidding me??? You are recommending working for 40-50k over working 160k for THE SAME HOURS?? Law is more "boring" compared to finance?? What world do you live in?!?! Im currently writing this post while waiting for a data warehouse query to run and give me data that i can pull into excel, write some equations and put the data in to build a spreadsheet, print it off and schedule a conference call to discuss a bunch of numbers then later right up some sequel directions to build a standardized report. No way law is significantly more "boring" than that.


I know all about Excel. I just assumed that you were working at Morgan Stanley or something sexy. If you're only making 40-50k and you get into HYS and love the law, shoot. Go. Apply. But if you do, understand that you will probably not be able to turn back. If you come out and you're working for $50k like me, you won't go crawling back to your easier Excel job because they won't take you back.

that's another problem with a JD: you become almost unemployable for anything else. Go figure.


Yea, u clearly dont know what finance is really like.. most people dont know what Finance actually is. I worked "somewhere sexy" last year and it was pretty boring as well. Only diff is that they had colorful proprietary software instead of standard excel, cognos, sequel, etc. My "excel job" isnt easy, excel is just a tool we use along with a bunch of others. And people who think you are making over 50-60k in finance w/o a masters or MBA are generally wrong(few exceptions of course.) My point is, less than 50k is what you are gonna make regardless and all the "fun" jobs make even less than that starting.


Fair enough. I guess I can make the same argument you make, except about the legal profession. I know a lot of people who work at JPM, MS, Goldman, Rothschild, Lazard; so I have a rosier view than is warranted.

I accept that I'm probably wrong, because you know what you're talking about, and I don't know.

On law, I'm telling the truth. I have no interest in wasting my time here just for the "lulz." I'm not that kind of guy. I just think it's insane that people go into law without hearing anything from 3Ls and YOUNG attorneys.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:41 pm

fenway wrote:i can't tell whether OP is a "flame" but assuming he/she is not I wonder about how strong his/her networking/interview capability is. either having or forming contacts is just as much important (well, depending on the contacts..) as T-14 or whatever elitist distinction you want to make in terms of school attended.



Hahahahahahaha! I needed that. Thanks.

EnriqueL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:52 am

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:


"Don't go to a T19 school, become a nurse or an electrician! Their lives are all about models and bottles!"


What's T19? Are you saying you're going to the 19th-ranked school. Jesus dude....

User avatar
Rock Chalk
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:11 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:43 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:No. It would be easy to type up a name if I were lying.

Even easier not to. Plus, once you named a school real recent grads might pop up and call you out.

Plus, how would you choose!? :o

User avatar
yinz
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby yinz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 pm

/ thread

Jas
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Postby Jas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:TLS, please be nice to be in 3 years when I make one of these threads. :oops:


"Don't go to a T19 school, become a nurse or an electrician! Their lives are all about models and bottles!"


What's T19? Are you saying you're going to the 19th-ranked school. Jesus dude....


Oh my god, you're such an a-hole!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dclaw93, proteinshake, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests