I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matthies

Silver

Re: I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:Wow, sorry guys. Every state is having trouble actually making a budget, but once they come up with one it'll be there for you to see, right?

Maybe living in the Midwest has made me naive?
If you don't think government is corrupt, then your Midwestern state is not Illinois.
Your needed in my other thread on this topic

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:Wow, sorry guys. Every state is having trouble actually making a budget, but once they come up with one it'll be there for you to see, right?

It's icky. Our governor was using government funds to take secret trips to Argentina in order to wine and dine some (presumably) hot piece of South American ass.

That's a slippery slope of spending.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Matthies wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

If you don't think government is corrupt, then your Midwestern state is not Illinois.
Your needed in my other thread on this topic
Where at?

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Lol, indeed.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Am I the only one that would be happy with a 50k and no debt? That sounds like a pretty sweet situation post-any school.

OP, if you come back, I have some serious questions for you (please don't tell me about your classmates. I'm sure they are hurting):
1) What did you do your 1L summer? Did you enjoy that work?
2) Did you get a job 2L summer through OCI?
3) If you did, did you get an offer there?
4) If you did not, what did you do your 2L summer? Did you like it? Did you get an offer through that job?
5) If you got your job through the "none of the above" route, how did you get it?
6) Why are you so disillusioned with the work if you have not started practicing? Did you not like anything you did during the summer?
7) If you hated both of your summer jobs and all of the work you have done so far - did you consider trying to get a non-legal job that might make you happier?
8 ) If you liked the work, why are you upset? Did you want $160k? Or are you just so selfless that you care more about your classmates than yourself and you are cool with your job but are sad about your unemployed friends?

I'm really curious about this information and will not criticize you for it. You can even PM me if you want. I've asked a few people that have posted these types of things and no one ever responded to me :(.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:43 pm

What did everyone get out of this thread?

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Here in the South we have made corruption an art form...We have 4 out of the top 5 according to this ranking and most of the top 10.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... pt-states/
Last edited by Merr on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Poor SC...I just watched the Daily Show making fun of us for Alvin Greene and now this...

I'd rather have the doom and gloom part of the thread :(

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Merr wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Here in the South we have made corruption an art form...We have 4 out of the top 5 according to this ranking and most of the top 10.

Ouch. But I have to admit, some of those scams are downright impressive. Like the guy in Missouri that convinced people that the government made "bonded promissory notes" and sold $100 million worth of them at $100 a pop!? I would hire him to work in sales at any company, any day!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm

yinz wrote:What did everyone get out of this thread?
The decision to have soup for lunch.

After having corn chowder, I am very pleased with this thread.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:57 pm

yinz wrote:What did everyone get out of this thread?
Well this rash started showing up and my ass is itchy, think I should get that checked out?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 pm

Merr wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I agree with Tennessee being ranked #1, but how does Florida only rank 6th? Damn, we're slipping...

TheTopBloke

Bronze

Post by TheTopBloke » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:29 pm

It all comes down to the reasons you want to be a lawyer. If you genuinely want to be a lawyer, for the practice, and not for the money, then you should be a lawyer. If you want to be a lawyer simply for the illusion that you are going to have a wonderful life full of hot bitches and riches, then you're going to be in for a huge disappointment.

Do what you love. I'm sure you've heard it before, and this time won't be the last. But this old cliche is very very true. If you do what you love, you won't need money. If you don't do what you love, but rather chase the dollar, you'll just be a miserable toad.

It's obvious there are plenty of tools on TLS and other sites that are simply looking for the dollar. I sincerely, hope you reconsider your decision. What a waste it would be to go through 3 years of law school, spend $150k, and bust your ass for a couple of years to find out it's not at all what you had expected.

But again, if you truly want to practice law, then do so, don't listen to naysayers, go to law school and enjoy your chosen profession.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:34 pm

anyone care to share the readers digest version of what happened ITT to make this a 17 page thread in one day?

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:59 pm

gwuorbust wrote:anyone care to share the readers digest version of what happened ITT to make this a 17 page thread in one day?
Introverted T-14 grad is pissed b/c he thought his JD meant he would certainly obtain (read given) a $160k job regardless of his penchant for playing with GI-Joe's in his mother's basement while stalking people on Friendster and inability to socialize with other humanoids. It couldn't possibly any of the above, but rather TTT grads.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:37 pm

They're talking about you guys over at JDU:

--LinkRemoved--

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 pm

MTal wrote:They're talking about you guys over at JDU:

--LinkRemoved--
I see you and raise you:

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I think its clearly a JDU flame, doubt this person really went to a T14, much less finished anywhere near median.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 pm

eagles86 wrote:I think its clearly a JDU flame, doubt this person really went to a T14, much less finished anywhere near median.
LOL.

el jefe

New

Post by el jefe » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:06 pm

eagles86 wrote:I think its clearly a JDU flame, doubt this person really went to a T14, much less finished anywhere near median.

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:38 pm

Outside of T14: almost certain to be career suicide. Don't go. It's pure insanity or stupidity to go.

T14: you have a greater than 50% chance of ending up in a terrible situation (I avoided that, thank God).

CCN: Chicago and New York are markets that are hurting badly. Both are in austerity states. Both are FIRE zones. Your chances of getting BigLaw are not great, and grads from those schools have a bad reputation among "small law-yers." As far as clerkships go, grads from CCN are lower on the pecking order than HYS. Chicago for academia? You should probably forget it.

HYS: Could be good, could be bad. If you go using debt, think twice and talk to lawyers to see how the practice of law really is. If you go with your own money, it could be a good gamble, but you need to understand that you will have a hard time switching to another profession of law implodes or if you don't like it the grueling lifestyle.

This thread was def not a "JDU flame."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

When I got on TLS this morning, the top two threads on the homepage were "I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School" and "Already Accepted, Just got a DWI."

When I got on TLS at 7:45 at night, the top two threads on the homepage were "I Definitely Do NOT Recommend Law School" and "Already Accepted, Just Got a DWI."

God I love TLS.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:13 pm

EnriqueL wrote:Outside of T14: almost certain to be career suicide. Don't go. It's pure insanity or stupidity to go.
Wow really I wish I had known this before I started working with my T2 law degree, I could have saved myself allot of time doing this time consuming legal stuff for money and just said I'm destined for career suicide so why even try. instead I'm stuck working with my TTT JD. WTF I got totally screwed this working thing is a lot of work! They expect me to do shit and know things and stuff and even write about it. Who can I blame for me having a job? Should I re-take the LSAT and get into a lower top 14 and re-do law school so I have at least a 50% chance of not having to work as a lawyer?

EnriqueL

Bronze

Post by EnriqueL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Matthies wrote:
EnriqueL wrote:Outside of T14: almost certain to be career suicide. Don't go. It's pure insanity or stupidity to go.
Wow really I wish I had known this before I started working with my T2 law degree, I could have saved myself allot of time doing this time consuming legal stuff for money and just said I'm destined for career suicide so why even try. instead I'm stuck working with my TTT JD. WTF I got totally screwed this working thing is a lot of work! They expect me to do shit and know things and stuff and even write about it. Who can I blame for me having a job? Should I re-take the LSAT and get into a lower top 14 and re-do law school so I have at least a 50% chance of not having to work as a lawyer?
You know very well that the vast majority of T2 graduates are suffering. Just because you hit the jackpot doesn't mean you have to push other people to take the most insane gamble of all higher education.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:34 pm

EnriqueL wrote:
Matthies wrote:
You know very well that the vast majority of T2 graduates are suffering. Just because you hit the jackpot doesn't mean you have to push other people to take the most insane gamble of all higher education.
Well this I know: the vast magority of my freinds from the class of 2009 are working as lawyers. The ones that are not probably won't unless A- someone walks up to them and hands then a job or B - i find them a job (which i astonished to say I was actually able to do for someone I thought would never be able to find something on his own, well in that respect I guess I was right).

Here is what I know:
The vast majority of law graduates will not get jobs through their school

The vast majority of law grads will absolutely suck at finding anything on their own

Therefore a large number will go unemployed until they luck into something, give up, or take a crap job from craisglist because that is the only way they know how to find a job.

None of the above is law schools fault. It is the fault of law students being unrealistic and doing little to no preparation for finding a job if one is not handed to them.

Not everyone should go to law school I agree. The problem is many who go to law school do so because they "can't find a job with X liberal arts degree." These are the people that probably should not go to any law school because they are the most likely to get screwed. The sad fact is those will be the same people who if they are not given a job by the school will in three years create posts like this saying I can't find a job with my JD. Maybe its closer to the truth that they just can't find a on job on their own, JD, PHD, MBA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”