Am I too late?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Drkish525

Am I too late?

Postby Drkish525 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:32 am

So, here's my issue.

Up until about a month ago, I was pretty set on pursuing a career in public relations; however, after about a month of my first internship, I have found that this is not something I want to do with my life. After some soul searching and some extensive researching and advice seeking, I am investigating the possibility of law school.

I will be entering into my 4th and final year of undergrad this upcoming year, so ideally I will apply this fall for admission in fall 2011.

I'm meeting with an adviser in about a week to discuss my options with her, but I am looking for any and all advice I can get.

I have a double major in English and French, and a high gpa [around 3.9 from Michigan State University.] My main concern with the process, however, is the LSAT. I'm pretty decent at standardized tests, and I took my first practice LSAT yesterday and scored a 161 without any studying, so I'm hoping that with 3 months to prepare and study, I could substantially raise my score to at least a 170ish to be competitive for some of the schools I want to go to. I'm really just worried, however, that I might not have given myself enough time/opportunities to take the LSAT; I really only have one shot in October if I want to have my applications in at a decent time. Is 3 months enough time to study and raise my score about 10 points? Also, let's say I don't do as well in October as I would have liked, is it at all possible to take the next test and still have a shot at getting into a good law school?

Here are some of the schools I'm thinking about applying to:
University of Washington
UCLA
Michigan
NYU
Columbia
USC
Georgetown
Chicago
George Washington

Additionally, let's say I don't get the LSAT score I wanted and decided to apply again next year after I have more time to take the LSAT, I was considering doing this program with the French Embassy where they send you to France for a year to teach English--would that look bad on an application or would it look good? I am also open to something with Americorps maybe too.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help you can provide me!
Last edited by Drkish525 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

kalvano

Re: Am I too late?

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:41 am

If you got a cold 161, three months is plenty of time, presuming you study hard.

Also, register early to ensure you get a decent testing site.

paz

Postby paz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 am

start studying for the lsat, take it in october, get your score and then you'll be able to realistically map out where you're going to be able to go.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:43 am

Yes it's enough time, but you may have to work fairly hard at it.

Your chances will be hurt slightly if you take the December rather than October, but not so much that it wouldn't be worth a second try if you didn't get the score you wanted the first time. The early app isn't worth more than a point or two.

You should strongly consider taking a year off between undergrad and any other school you do. Most people benefit a lot from it, and most people in law school aren't just out of undergrad.

Descent =/= decent, although they are both words. Friendly advice :D

paz

Postby paz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:52 am

Tautology wrote:Yes it's enough time, but you may have to work fairly hard at it.

Your chances will be hurt slightly if you take the December rather than October, but not so much that it wouldn't be worth a second try if you didn't get the score you wanted the first time. The early app isn't worth more than a point or two.

You should strongly consider taking a year off between undergrad and any other school you do. Most people benefit a lot from it, and most people in law school aren't just out of undergrad.

Descent =/= decent, although they are both words. Friendly advice :D

on the topic of typos, i'm still waiting for that [ to close.. haha.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:55 am

paz wrote:
on the topic of typos, i'm still waiting for that [ to close.. haha.

I figured that since he did it more than once, it might not just be a typo.

] here you go! :mrgreen:

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:06 am

I don't mean to kill the OP, as this is more of a general complaint about this particular forum. His question is just a last straw of sorts.

I'm constantly amazed and often shocked by many of the questions asked by presumably smart people on this forum.

Will it look bad on your law school application that you taught English in France for a year? Seriously? In what universe would this look "bad"?

Drkish525

Postby Drkish525 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 am

Ty Webb wrote:I don't mean to kill the OP, as this is more of a general complaint about this particular forum. His question is just a last straw of sorts.

I'm constantly amazed and often shocked by many of the questions asked by presumably smart people on this forum.

Will it look bad on your law school application that you taught English in France for a year? Seriously? In what universe would this look "bad"?

I only asked because someone I know who is in charge of hiring for Chrysler suggested to me that it since I wasn't doing anything related to law, it might appear like I was wasting time.

Sorry.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 am

Drkish525 wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I don't mean to kill the OP, as this is more of a general complaint about this particular forum. His question is just a last straw of sorts.

I only asked because someone I know who is in charge of hiring for Chrysler suggested to me that it since I wasn't doing anything related to law, it might appear like I was wasting time.

Sorry.

You are forgiven, but honestly no one will think that. Lots of law students do something like that before going to law school, and quite honestly I would recommend you do it anyway and just apply for the class of '15.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:27 am

Drkish525 wrote:

Sorry.

As I said, it's really not a you problem. Your question was tame in comparison to many that I've seen here.

In general, it seems that law schools like to enroll diverse classes full of people with great experiences. The world view that you'll gain while working in France will make you more attractive as a candidate (though numbers are pretty much all that matter anyway). Added bonus is that you'll have something cool to write about in your personal statement.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26 am

Drkish525 wrote:

Sorry.

Yah, that guy doesn't know what he is talking about, is weird, or doesn't like you and is messing with you. Go do the program, it will be a positive for your life.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:38 am

ITT: Good advice.

Also, the December LSAT is not terrible, every school still accepts people with December scores, it just puts you at a slight disadvantage.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:23 am

How does taking the December LSAT put someone at even a slight disadvantage? I can see how February might be a problem, but December? If all of the other materials are in, won't your score be released as soon as its ready, which is usually the last week of December? Most schools seem to have deadlines around February at the earliest, so why do applications need to be in four or five months ahead of that? They won't start reviewing them until there are enough of them to review. Some claim that they review the ones that came in first before the others, but how much of an advantage is that, really? Earlier is generally better, but what's the point of being way too early? If nothing else, it just seems to make the waiting period that much worse.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:21 am

b.j. wrote:How does taking the December LSAT put someone at even a slight disadvantage? I can see how February might be a problem, but December? If all of the other materials are in, won't your score be released as soon as its ready, which is usually the last week of December? Most schools seem to have deadlines around February at the earliest, so why do applications need to be in four or five months ahead of that? They won't start reviewing them until there are enough of them to review. Some claim that they review the ones that came in first before the others, but how much of an advantage is that, really? Earlier is generally better, but what's the point of being way too early? If nothing else, it just seems to make the waiting period that much worse.

Depending on the school, it can be a big advantage, especially when it comes to getting money.

Think of it this way. If you take the December LSAT, by the time they release your score, some people have already been accepted to some schools.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:55 am

kalvano wrote:
b.j. wrote:How does taking the December LSAT put someone at even a slight disadvantage? I can see how February might be a problem, but December? If all of the other materials are in, won't your score be released as soon as its ready, which is usually the last week of December? Most schools seem to have deadlines around February at the earliest, so why do applications need to be in four or five months ahead of that? They won't start reviewing them until there are enough of them to review. Some claim that they review the ones that came in first before the others, but how much of an advantage is that, really? Earlier is generally better, but what's the point of being way too early? If nothing else, it just seems to make the waiting period that much worse.

Depending on the school, it can be a big advantage, especially when it comes to getting money.

Think of it this way. If you take the December LSAT, by the time they release your score, some people have already been accepted to some schools.

Perhaps it's just that the disadvantage is there but so small that it wouldn't make much of a difference at all. That's my impression. I can understand how February puts people at a (slight) disadvantage, even if some schools say they accept that LSAT, but December?

Which schools? Most of the people here seem obsessed, with good reason, about certain schools, namely the elite schools like HYS and those right below it. Those schools have their pick of applicants, so why would they be in a rush to admit people? Sure, all schools will admit someone truly exceptional as soon as they can, but that label doesn't apply to most people. Perhaps it's a matter of the best cases just being the most motivated to apply, which means they apply early and thus get accepted early.

A brief glance at the numbers from [url]this list[/url]http://harvard.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?&p=1 of applicants to Harvard doesn't suggest that applying incredibly early makes much of a difference. February might hurt, but December doesn't appear to, particularly if it helps your score. There's a final deadline, and being early helps, but there's such a thing as too early. The biggest effect seems to be on the applicant, in that it prolongs the suffering and anxiety that goes along with the admissions process.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”