Major Longshot: Striking Comm. College Transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Canarsie

Major Longshot: Striking Comm. College Transcript

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 pm

As the title indicates this is a MAJOR longshot and I personally don't even think it's possible. I have a transcript from a community college with a D on it. 4 credits... ouch. It isn't on any other transcripts. I am definitely sending this transcript (don't think I'm trying to hide it from LSAC - I'm not stupid, I want to sit for the bar one day!)

Is there ANY way to have the grade removed or changed? I don't still have the records, but I got an A- on the first exam, a B- on the second, and lord knows what on the third. There were various HW assignments and I got at least 7/10 on all of them (typically higher). I never saw my final grade but I assume it was atrocious. I did study, not my strongest subject I guess...

Could I meet with the professor or have someone go back over my work? I'm grasping at straws here because I really hate that this grade exists. It brings my LSDAS GPA from a 3.51 to a 3.37 (ouch). I am scheduling a meeting with someone in the registrar but I have no idea what to really say.

If not, oh well. There are worse things in life.

manbearwig

Re: Major Longshot: Striking Comm. College Transcript

Postby manbearwig » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Canarsie wrote:As the title indicates this is a MAJOR longshot and I personally don't even think it's possible. I have a transcript from a community college with a D on it. 4 credits... ouch. It isn't on any other transcripts. I am definitely sending this transcript (don't think I'm trying to hide it from LSAC - I'm not stupid, I want to sit for the bar one day!)

Is there ANY way to have the grade removed or changed? I don't still have the records, but I got an A- on the first exam, a B- on the second, and lord knows what on the third. There were various HW assignments and I got at least 7/10 on all of them (typically higher). I never saw my final grade but I assume it was atrocious. I did study, not my strongest subject I guess...

Could I meet with the professor or have someone go back over my work? I'm grasping at straws here because I really hate that this grade exists. It brings my LSDAS GPA from a 3.51 to a 3.37 (ouch). I am scheduling a meeting with someone in the registrar but I have no idea what to really say.

Good luck with that (said in all seriousness, not sarcastic). I know at my college, grades are a bitch to change as soon as they're official. It rarely happens. Because this happened a while ago, and you don't even have the exam grades on paper, I really doubt anything can be done, or even if the prof still remembers you or has your grades on file.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 pm

manbearwig wrote:
Canarsie wrote:As the title indicates this is a MAJOR longshot and I personally don't even think it's possible. I have a transcript from a community college with a D on it. 4 credits... ouch. It isn't on any other transcripts. I am definitely sending this transcript (don't think I'm trying to hide it from LSAC - I'm not stupid, I want to sit for the bar one day!)

Good luck with that (said in all seriousness, not sarcastic). I know at my college, grades are a bitch to change as soon as they're official. It rarely happens. Because this happened a while ago, and you don't even have the exam grades on paper, I really doubt anything can be done, or even if the prof still remembers you or has your grades on file.

To be honest, I can't even tell you the professor's name. If he remembers me I'll bake him cookies or something.

Edit: Obviously I'm going to look this up prior to making my appointment...

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Why do you think you're so special? Man up.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Danteshek wrote:Why do you think you're so special? Man up.

I think it's worth a shot for everyone in this situation... not just me. Whether or not people try is up to them.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 am

It's worth a shot. But it's just that, a huge longshot. Good luck!

Also - with the right LSAT, a 3.3x vs. a 3.5x really shouldn't hold you back all that much. If you have a high LSAT, lots of schools will forgive the GPA a bit.

dominkay

Postby dominkay » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 am

Stop whining.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am

You can do nothing...but not send it...until after you're accepted to a school...

If you can't even remember the Professor's name and got a D in the course, how would you expect him to change the grade? What would you tell him? I had a Prof. change my grade from a B to an A once, but that was his whim, not mine.

manbearwig

Postby manbearwig » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 am

billyez wrote:You can do nothing...but not send it...until after you're accepted to a school...

I remember reading on here that LSAC actually dinged them for not sending in all transcripts (I think it had been an honest mistake). So, depending on whether that comm. college submits to clearinghouses, that may not work. And it's a big gamble and dishonest.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:21 am

danidancer wrote:It's worth a shot. But it's just that, a huge longshot. Good luck!

Also - with the right LSAT, a 3.3x vs. a 3.5x really shouldn't hold you back all that much. If you have a high LSAT, lots of schools will forgive the GPA a bit.

Anyone else think this is TCR?

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:49 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
danidancer wrote:It's worth a shot. But it's just that, a huge longshot. Good luck!

No. At any given school, 3.3 vs 3.5 will put perhaps 50 applicants ahead of you who have the same LSAT score. It's a big deal.

OP: your only real hope of changing the grade is if it's a clerical error, which is a huge longshot. Ask the professor if he or she can tell you your final exam grade, or still has the exam. If it's an F, give up, but if it's a C, politely ask the prof to double check the grade calculation because you thought your average would be higher than a D.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:31 am

Thank you, Spock-Obama guy. :D

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am

voice of reason wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

No. At any given school, 3.3 vs 3.5 will put perhaps 50 applicants ahead of you who have the same LSAT score. It's a big deal.

OP: your only real hope of changing the grade is if it's a clerical error, which is a huge longshot. Ask the professor if he or she can tell you your final exam grade, or still has the exam. If it's an F, give up, but if it's a C, politely ask the prof to double check the grade calculation because you thought your average would be higher than a D.

Of course the 3.5 would be BETTER. That goes without saying. But I still think that with the right LSAT, OP can do very well. The T14 is definitely still possible.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”