Do schools share with other schools if you ED?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
GettingReady2010

Do schools share with other schools if you ED?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 pm

I doubt anyone on here really has any idea, but I was just curious if schools share with other schools whether or not you applied early decision. I want to apply to a school ED, but I'm concerned that if other similar schools find out, they will be reluctant to admit me.

kalvano

Re: Do schools share with other schools if you ED?

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Yes, they do, if it's binding ED.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:09 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes, they do, if it's binding ED.

I'm talking about before the decision has been made.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I doubt anyone on here really has any idea, but I was just curious if schools share with other schools whether or not you applied early decision. I want to apply to a school ED, but I'm concerned that if other similar schools find out, they will be reluctant to admit me.

Yea, they would. In most instances you are only allowed to ED at ONE school. Now if you ED and are rejected, I believe you are allowed to ED elsewhere.... but me thinks there is one school that doesn't allow that or has some policy regarding it.... something like that.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:I doubt anyone on here really has any idea, but I was just curious if schools share with other schools whether or not you applied early decision. I want to apply to a school ED, but I'm concerned that if other similar schools find out, they will be reluctant to admit me.

They say they have no idea where you apply or are accepted until after deposits are due (June or July). I am not sure I believe this, but it is what they all say.

I know you didn't say this, but don't try to ED at two schools at the same time.

Mr Matlock is referring to ED at Northwestern which says you can only apply to their school ED and no other schools.

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

Yea, they would. In most instances you are only allowed to ED at ONE school. Now if you ED and are rejected, I believe you are allowed to ED elsewhere.... but me thinks there is one school that doesn't allow that or has some policy regarding it.... something like that.

I think you might be misunderstanding me.

For example, lets say you apply ED to Georgetown, would Cornell be reluctant to accept you? It seems like they could be taking a risk in doing so.

I'm NOT talking about applying ED, getting accepted, and then accepting an offer from another school.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:15 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

For example, lets say you apply ED to Georgetown, would Cornell be reluctant to accept you? It seems like they could be taking a risk in doing so.

Ah... I think I see. No. Cornell would have no idea that you had an ED app into Georgetown. So in practice, they could accept you before your ED decision, but you would have to decline the admission if you wear accepted at Georgetown. This is understood and by no means frowned upon.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 pm

Unitas wrote:

They say they have no idea where you apply or are accepted until after deposits are due (June or July). I am not sure I believe this, but it is what they all say.

I know you didn't say this, but don't try to ED at two schools at the same time.

Mr Matlock is referring to ED at Northwestern which says you can only apply to their school ED and no other schools.

Bold is TCR

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

Ah... I think I see. No. Cornell would have no idea that you had an ED app into Georgetown. So in practice, they could accept you before your ED decision, but you would have to decline the admission if you wear accepted at Georgetown. This is understood and by no means frowned upon.

Thanks, Matlock. That's the answer to my question.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Wait is this verifiable? I am in a similar situation where I am applying to a school ED, but I am writing a "why X" school essay to another explaining why they are one of my top choices. Like, I dont want to make it seem like I am lying. After all, the WhyX school doesnt have ED

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Maybe it's just me, but it seems needlessly spiteful for a school to alert other schools of your ED application before a decision has been made.

thechee

Postby thechee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I've heard anecdotes of schools sending lists of accepted ED applicants to peer schools.

Perch

Postby Perch » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:33 pm

thechee wrote:I've heard anecdotes of schools sending lists of accepted ED applicants to peer schools.

that would make the most sense

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:16 pm

If you read the ED contracts with these schools you will notice they typically contain the following language:

[SCHOOL] reserves the right to provide law schools with the names of applicants accepted under our binding Early Decision program.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”