Already accepted, just got a DWI

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
legalease9

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What if you kill someone while texting? While flipping thru your CD case? While checking out a hot blond on the side of the road?

I am not convinced that those pose an equivalent danger, but I would only ever do the last one anyway.

Saw something on TV where they did a study on texting while driving and the response time for texters was about the same as drunks.

Texting while driving actually something of an equivalent danger. If you've been in this thread criticizing DWI, you really shouldn't text or talk on the phone while driving either, because research bears out that that's fairly dangerous as well.

Yeah, you really shouldn't be texting/talking while driving. The law is behind on punishing these offenses as they should.

That being said, it is different from DWI, because as an above poster said you aren't always texting like you are always drunk. Further more, while drinking and texting both inhibit your reaction time and concentration, only Drinking inhibits your decision making skills and overall cognition. Thus Drunk Drivers are more likely to do stupid things while they are behind the wheel (such as texting).

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:From wikipedia:

All states in the U.S. designate a per se blood or breath alcohol level as the threshold point for an independent criminal offense. A second criminal offense of driving "under the influence" or "while impaired" is also usually charged in most states, with a permissive presumption of guilt where the person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08% or greater (units of milligrams per deciliter, representing 8 g of alcohol in 10 liters of blood).[4] Some states (e.g., Colorado) include a lesser charge, sometimes referred to as driving while ability impaired (this may apply to individuals with a .05% or above, but less than the .08 per se limit for the more serious charge.[4] Wisconsin, however, is the only state that continues to regard first offense drunk driving arrests as a forfeiture.[5]

You are from Illinois, correct? I'm about 90% sure our state has one of these "driving while impaired" laws, but not positive.

You can't have one beer, get behind the wheel a few hours later and still be .05. Or anything above a .00

OK, but let's take out the "few hours" statement and leave it at one or two beers and then get behind the wheel. (I believe this is the main point of this) I would doubt you are impaired, but could potentially face prosecution. That does seem a bit far reaching IMHO. I'd be more worried about the texting/talking on cell phone person.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

In reality, people in the USA are shitty drivers for a variety of reasons, mostly their inability to simply pay attention and drive.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
What if you kill someone while texting? While flipping thru your CD case? While checking out a hot blond on the side of the road?

I am not convinced that those pose an equivalent danger, but I would only ever do the last one anyway.

Saw something on TV where they did a study on texting while driving and the response time for texters was about the same as drunks.

I saw this also, in many cases, the person texting actually performed worse than the person intoxicated. This area of the law is still developing though and at least partially is a reason there is little stigma attached to texting and driving.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Texting while driving actually something of an equivalent danger. If you've been in this thread criticizing DWI, you really shouldn't text or talk on the phone while driving either, because research bears out that that's fairly dangerous as well.

Again, I would never text while driving and am glad that it's illegal in my state, but there is no way they are equivalently dangerous. Perhaps if someone decide to continuously text for the entire time they were driving it would be as dangerous. In fact, I expect that even then it wouldn't be, because the tendency while doing something like that is for people to drive more slowly, which significantly reduces the risk of a fatality in an accident. But people don't do that. A full 37% of traffic fatalities in the US in 2008 were alcohol related. Do you think it's anywhere near that for texting, or flipping through a CD case? These are not equivalent.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Well played, kalvano.

BRB while I killself.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

All states in the U.S. designate a per se blood or breath alcohol level as the threshold point for an independent criminal offense. A second criminal offense of driving "under the influence" or "while impaired" is also usually charged in most states, with a permissive presumption of guilt where the person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08% or greater (units of milligrams per deciliter, representing 8 g of alcohol in 10 liters of blood).[4] Some states (e.g., Colorado) include a lesser charge, sometimes referred to as driving while ability impaired (this may apply to individuals with a .05% or above, but less than the .08 per se limit for the more serious charge.[4] Wisconsin, however, is the only state that continues to regard first offense drunk driving arrests as a forfeiture.[5]

You are from Illinois, correct? I'm about 90% sure our state has one of these "driving while impaired" laws, but not positive.

You can't have one beer, get behind the wheel a few hours later and still be .05. Or anything above a .00

OK, but let's take out the "few hours" statement and leave it at one or two beers and then get behind the wheel. (I believe this is the main point of this) I would doubt you are impaired, but could potentially face prosecution. That does seem a bit far reaching IMHO. I'd be more worried about the texting/talking on cell phone person.

I haven't gotten behind the wheel with a .05, either.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
You can't get a DWI on a bicycle, either, IIRC. I dunno about a segway. I'm pretty sure it has to be a motorized vehicle. Riding lawnmowers do apply, however.

You can get a DWI on a bicycle, at least in some states.

+1

You can be charged for DUI riding a horse!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17953259/

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, stop being an asshole and driving drunk.

Seriously, how is it in this day and age people still think that's OK?

Exaclty.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:35 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

I wish I was at work so I could post a really douchey meme, but I'll just say, "Cool dude!!!"

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:What if you get a DWI on a bicycle? Same moral problems? What about a segway?

There's a difference in that the chances of you killing an innocent because you are riding a bicycle/segway drunk is much lower.

You can't get a DWI on a bicycle, either, IIRC. I dunno about a segway. I'm pretty sure it has to be a motorized vehicle. Riding lawnmowers do apply, however.

Really. Wow. Well, I guess I understand the reasoning.

Obviously it's to arrest undesirables. I'm always happy with arresting more bicyclists.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

It is true that the limit is very low right now. I'd keep it at .08, but I would like to see graduated punishment. The higher your BAC, the worse the punishment. And multiply those punishments for each repeat offense. The big problem with Drunk Driving legislation today isn't that we don't punish first offenders enough (with insurance + fines they are punished plenty) but that we don't effectively punish people on their 2nd 3rd 12th offense. 3rd offense I want to see MAJOR prison time.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm

kalvano wrote:In reality, people in the USA are shitty drivers for a variety of reasons, mostly their inability to simply pay attention and drive.

+180.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

I wish I was at work so I could post a really douchey meme, but I'll just say, "Cool dude!!!"

Well, you initially questioned whether I have, and no, I haven't. So you kind of asked for it.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

+1

You can be charged for DUI riding a horse!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17953259/

What if you're riding a drunk horse?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well played, kalvano.

BRB while I killself.

Run out in to the road and get hit by a guy who looks drunk so your family can sue for lots of money.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Well played, kalvano.

BRB while I killself.

Run out in to the road and get hit by a guy who looks drunk so your family can sue for lots of money.

Or get trampled by a drunk horse.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:43 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Well, you initially questioned whether I have, and no, I haven't. So you kind of asked for it.

Sorry, you're right. I guess I'm just getting really frustrated with this thread in general.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:50 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

Sorry, you're right. I guess I'm just getting really frustrated with this thread in general.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn't saying that I've been perfect in my driving decision making, or even remotely close. I haven't. I specifically admitted to texting while driving and other transgressions in the past. I wasn't saying that people who make one mistake are bad people because I haven't made that particular mistake. I was ONLY responding to a comment from earlier in the thread that stated in an accusatory manner that statistically a person who was adamantly against drunk driving probably had done so. I don't think that's a viable argument is all.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:51 pm

Yeah, Tautology is the douche that thinks one mistake makes you terrible forever, not SaintClarence.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:53 pm

DUI/DWI = bad, but everyone makes mistakes

Justifying driving while drunk = douchebag

Repeatedly driving while drunk = douchebag

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:54 pm

"No operating vehicles while intoxicated" is kind of like "no vehicles in the park." Lot's of grey area.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:

"No operating vehicles while intoxicated" is kind of like "no vehicles in the park." Lot's of grey area.

GUNNER ALERT --- GTM REFERENCE!!

Don't ask how I know that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”