Already accepted, just got a DWI

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby northwood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 pm

MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


its is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes people may think that they are perfectly capable of driving after drinking excessively. WHen you are drunk, you lose the ability to make competent decisions. .
Alcohol and drugs affect you in more ways that you are aware of. Take into consideration that you also get tired ( it is a depressant) and that enhances your impairment even more. I dont know if you are trying to be funny, or if you think you are some driving guru who can down shots then drive home. If you do, I hope you take that shot within 5-10 minutes of walking thru the front door ( it takes about 5-10 minutes for a shot to start having noticable effects on the body).

OP talk to your lawyer about what to do in regards to law school before you talk to your admissions people. He/She will have better advice than this forum

User avatar
adamquigley9
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby adamquigley9 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 pm

MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


That "arbitrary limit set by the government" falls under the category of this technical thing known as a LAW. You can repeat your statement after a friend is paralyzed by an "unimpaired driver" who was doing 50mph in a 25mph zone, blew through a red light and into the crosswalk...and registered a .04.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 pm

northwood wrote:
MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


its is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes people may think that they are perfectly capable of driving after drinking excessively. WHen you are drunk, you lose the ability to make competent decisions. .
Alcohol and drugs affect you in more ways that you are aware of. Take into consideration that you also get tired ( it is a depressant) and that enhances your impairment even more. I dont know if you are trying to be funny, or if you think you are some driving guru who can down shots then drive home. If you do, I hope you take that shot within 5-10 minutes of walking thru the front door ( it takes about 5-10 minutes for a shot to start having noticable effects on the body).



How then do you explain that some people repeatedly drive WAY over the legal limit and have never been in an accident, while others may be slightly over the limit for the first time and get pulled over. Again, it all depends on the INVIDUAL, alcohol impacts different people differently. For example, I will rarely if ever drive while high. I do not trust myself after smoking a bowl since I get way too loopy and lose focus. When I've had a few drinks though, I am even more on my guard then when I am sober, since I know a lot more is at stake if I chance to get pulled over. Like I said before, it should be up to the individual to decide how competent they are to drive, if they decide that they are and get in a wreck anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there's no reason to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving but don't meet the government ARBITRARY one-size-fits-all limit.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 pm

MTal wrote:
northwood wrote:
MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


its is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes people may think that they are perfectly capable of driving after drinking excessively. WHen you are drunk, you lose the ability to make competent decisions. .
Alcohol and drugs affect you in more ways that you are aware of. Take into consideration that you also get tired ( it is a depressant) and that enhances your impairment even more. I dont know if you are trying to be funny, or if you think you are some driving guru who can down shots then drive home. If you do, I hope you take that shot within 5-10 minutes of walking thru the front door ( it takes about 5-10 minutes for a shot to start having noticable effects on the body).



How then do you explain that some people repeatedly drive WAY over the legal limit and have never been in an accident, while others may be slightly over the limit for the first time and get pulled over. Again, it all depends on the INVIDUAL, alcohol impacts different people differently. For example, I will rarely if ever drive while high. I do not trust myself after smoking a bowl since I get way too loopy and lose focus. When I've had a few drinks though, I am even more on my guard then when I am sober, since I know a lot more is at stake if I chance to get pulled over. Like I said before, it should be up to the individual to decide how competent they are to drive, if they decide that they are and get in a wreck anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there's no reason to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving but don't meet the government ARBITRARY one-size-fits-all limit.

I can't believe you got pwned by lawl skool?!!??!!!

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 pm

adamquigley9 wrote:
MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


That "arbitrary limit set by the government" falls under the category of this technical thing known as a LAW. You can repeat your statement after a friend is paralyzed by an "unimpaired driver" who was doing 50mph in a 25mph zone, blew through a red light and into the crosswalk...and registered a .04.


Yeah, because all laws are just, fair, and should be obeyed unquestioningly.

::snicker::

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:19 pm

seespotrun wrote:
MTal wrote:
northwood wrote:
MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


its is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes people may think that they are perfectly capable of driving after drinking excessively. WHen you are drunk, you lose the ability to make competent decisions. .
Alcohol and drugs affect you in more ways that you are aware of. Take into consideration that you also get tired ( it is a depressant) and that enhances your impairment even more. I dont know if you are trying to be funny, or if you think you are some driving guru who can down shots then drive home. If you do, I hope you take that shot within 5-10 minutes of walking thru the front door ( it takes about 5-10 minutes for a shot to start having noticable effects on the body).



How then do you explain that some people repeatedly drive WAY over the legal limit and have never been in an accident, while others may be slightly over the limit for the first time and get pulled over. Again, it all depends on the INVIDUAL, alcohol impacts different people differently. For example, I will rarely if ever drive while high. I do not trust myself after smoking a bowl since I get way too loopy and lose focus. When I've had a few drinks though, I am even more on my guard then when I am sober, since I know a lot more is at stake if I chance to get pulled over. Like I said before, it should be up to the individual to decide how competent they are to drive, if they decide that they are and get in a wreck anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there's no reason to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving but don't meet the government ARBITRARY one-size-fits-all limit.

I can't believe you got pwned by lawl skool?!!??!!!


I make more $$ then the vast majority of 1st year attorneys in my state, plus have no debt.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 pm

MTal wrote:
seespotrun wrote:I can't believe you got pwned by lawl skool?!!??!!!


I make more $$ then the vast majority of 1st year attorneys in my state, plus have no debt.

I give a sarcastic response, obviously poking fun at your argument and reasoning, and you respond with the above.

I can't believe you got pwned by lawl skool?!!??!!!

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:36 pm

MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, stop being an asshole and driving drunk.

Seriously, how is it in this day and age people still think that's OK?


When I am wasted I drive home about 90 % of the time, have been doing it for many years. Haven't had so much as a speeding ticket for all that time.


I used to rob little old ladies and beat them with a baseball bat. Still haven't gotten caught either. Ain't life awesome?

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:38 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, stop being an asshole and driving drunk.

Seriously, how is it in this day and age people still think that's OK?


When I am wasted I drive home about 90 % of the time, have been doing it for many years. Haven't had so much as a speeding ticket for all that time.


I used to rob little old ladies and beat them with a baseball bat. Still haven't gotten caught either. Ain't life awesome?


I take issue with the latter, but not the former.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:40 pm

MTal wrote:
northwood wrote:
MTal wrote:Just because you are over the legal limit doesn't necessarily mean you are endangering others. Some people can take several shots in a row and have their driving completely unaffected, it all depends on the individual. People should decide for themselves whether or not they are competent enough to drive. If they decide that they are and get in an accident anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there is no need to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving unimpeded just because they exceeded an arbitrary limit set by the government.


its is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes people may think that they are perfectly capable of driving after drinking excessively. WHen you are drunk, you lose the ability to make competent decisions. .
Alcohol and drugs affect you in more ways that you are aware of. Take into consideration that you also get tired ( it is a depressant) and that enhances your impairment even more. I dont know if you are trying to be funny, or if you think you are some driving guru who can down shots then drive home. If you do, I hope you take that shot within 5-10 minutes of walking thru the front door ( it takes about 5-10 minutes for a shot to start having noticable effects on the body).



How then do you explain that some people repeatedly drive WAY over the legal limit and have never been in an accident, while others may be slightly over the limit for the first time and get pulled over. Again, it all depends on the INVIDUAL, alcohol impacts different people differently. For example, I will rarely if ever drive while high. I do not trust myself after smoking a bowl since I get way too loopy and lose focus. When I've had a few drinks though, I am even more on my guard then when I am sober, since I know a lot more is at stake if I chance to get pulled over. Like I said before, it should be up to the individual to decide how competent they are to drive, if they decide that they are and get in a wreck anyway, then they should face the consequences, but there's no reason to punish those who are perfectly capable of driving but don't meet the government ARBITRARY one-size-fits-all limit.


You obviously never took a physio, bio, or anatomy class, nor do you have common sense. I have driven drunk (when in high school) and I won't lie, I have recently...except I drove literally a few thousand feet, slowly. No highways, no traffic lights, and in my town, at that hour, not a soul on the road or on the sidewalk.

That being said, i can't wait until I move back to a place where I don't have to worry about driving, period.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:41 pm

MTal wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:
MTal wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, stop being an asshole and driving drunk.

Seriously, how is it in this day and age people still think that's OK?


When I am wasted I drive home about 90 % of the time, have been doing it for many years. Haven't had so much as a speeding ticket for all that time.


I used to rob little old ladies and beat them with a baseball bat. Still haven't gotten caught either. Ain't life awesome?


I take issue with the latter, but not the former.



Right, because robbery is a victimless crime.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby pugalicious » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

Image

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 pm

pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.

User avatar
Merr
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby Merr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:54 pm

MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


If you don't mind, please explain to me exactly how one sufficiently "pay[s] the consequences" should one hit and kill/permanently harm another person while DUI?
Last edited by Merr on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
MTal wrote:
ajmanyjah wrote:I used to rob little old ladies and beat them with a baseball bat. Still haven't gotten caught either. Ain't life awesome?


I take issue with the latter, but not the former.



Right, because robbery is a victimless crime.


I take issue with the robbing, but old people need to be beaten once in a while.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Merr wrote:
MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


If you don't mind, please explain to me exactly how one sufficiently "pay[s] the consequences" should one hit and kill/permanently harm another person while DUI?


Driver's license permanently revoked, probation, mandatory 15 years in prison, compensation for the victim or their families.

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:09 pm

You do know you could have killed someone? What's your problem. I don't get dirtbags like you. Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

newyorker88 wrote:You do know you could have killed someone? What's your problem. I don't get dirtbags like you. Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.

Statement equally applicable to sober driving.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 pm

newyorker88 wrote: Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.


If you had read anything I have written, you would see that my whole point is that I don't. For example, lets say I drink enough to raise my BAC to .0799999999999999999999, then I have another drop which raises me to .08. Would you seriously argue that the former puts people completely out of danger while the latter, every pedestrian that crosses my path is lucky to escape with their lives?

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby seespotrun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:34 pm

MTal wrote:
Merr wrote:
MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


If you don't mind, please explain to me exactly how one sufficiently "pay[s] the consequences" should one hit and kill/permanently harm another person while DUI?


Driver's license permanently revoked, probation, mandatory 15 years in prison, compensation for the victim or their families.

Compensation for the dead victim's family.

I can't believe you got pwned in lawl skool?!?!!!

User avatar
manbearwig
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby manbearwig » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:35 pm

MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


You fucker. My cousin (who wasn't in a car) was hit by drunk driver in a pickup truck. By some miracle, he's alive today, but even still, fuck you and your "consequences."

(Also, the driver admitted that he had driven plenty of times before at that BAC. Only takes one to screw up lives forever.)

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby pugalicious » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:40 pm

manbearwig wrote:
MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


You fucker. My cousin (who wasn't in a car) was hit by drunk driver in a pickup truck. By some miracle, he's alive today, but even still, fuck you and your "consequences."

(Also, the driver admitted that he had driven plenty of times before at that BAC. Only takes one to screw up lives forever.)


...and this is why no real conversation can ever be had about laws as they pertain to drinking and driving.

Let it go, everyone. Move on. Nothing to see here.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby MTal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:52 pm

manbearwig wrote:
MTal wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Readin Mtal's posts reminds of:

"Whateva! Whateva! I do what I WANT!"


I do, but I also agree to pay the consequences.


You fucker. My cousin (who wasn't in a car) was hit by drunk driver in a pickup truck. By some miracle, he's alive today, but even still, fuck you and your "consequences."

(Also, the driver admitted that he had driven plenty of times before at that BAC. Only takes one to screw up lives forever.)


You're using emotional reasoning to generalize from 1 case. I feel for your cousin (I know that sounds empty coming from me, but I do), but all that shows is that in that one instance, the driver did not know his limits, or, if he did know, chose to ignore them. My argument is that people shouldn't be punished SOLELY for being over a limit, if they are otherwise capable drivers.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby A'nold » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 pm

Actually, I see no problem with wishing Mtal would die the next time he drinks and drives. I mean, if somebody is going to shoot into a room blindfolded, I hope somebody takes them out.

It's so great that you will pay for your crime by "going to jail for 15 years" or a family getting some money for the death of their newborn baby. Go to hell.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23886
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby Thirteen » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 pm

newyorker88 wrote:You do know you could have killed someone? What's your problem. I don't get dirtbags like you. Kill yourself but don't put innocent people in danger.


Making a mistake doesn't necessarily make OP a dirtbag.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ellielaw and 2 guests