Already accepted, just got a DWI

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kalvano

Re: Already accepted, just got a DWI

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 am

I like to do 90MPH and text while I drive, but at least I don't drive drunk.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

fenway

Postby fenway » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:12 am

i guess it depends on where you are driving. and do you use 1 or 2 hands to text?

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:I am blown away. People actually took time in this thread to defend drunk driving as a practice?

Sigh.

No one is defending it. I just think it is absurd to view these people as horrific criminals. It is wrong, but driving intoxicated is not an indication of moral depravity like all of you suggest.

Maybe not moral depravity, but certainly it's an indication that they place so little value on the lives and well-being of others that they don't care if they put others at risk if it's just a little bit more convenient for them to do so. Seriously, fuck them and anyone who thinks that drunk drivers aren't bad people until they kill someone.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:I am blown away. People actually took time in this thread to defend drunk driving as a practice?

Sigh.

No one is defending it. I just think it is absurd to view these people as horrific criminals. It is wrong, but driving intoxicated is not an indication of moral depravity like all of you suggest.

Maybe not moral depravity, but certainly it's an indication that they place so little value on the lives and well-being of others that they don't care if they put others at risk if it's just a little bit more convenient for them to do so. Seriously, fuck them and anyone who thinks that drunk drivers aren't bad people until they kill someone.

What if you kill someone while texting? While flipping thru your CD case? While checking out a hot blond on the side of the road?

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:08 pm

What if you get a DWI on a bicycle? Same moral problems? What about a segway?

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Sigh.

What if you kill someone while texting? While flipping thru your CD case? While checking out a hot blond on the side of the road?

I am not convinced that those pose an equivalent danger, but I would only ever do the last one anyway.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:09 pm

kalvano wrote:I like to do 90MPH and text while I drive, but at least I don't drive drunk.

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Haha, I guess that explains the 25 tickets you said you had in the other thread then? More power to ya.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Tautology wrote: Seriously, fuck them and anyone who thinks that drunk drivers aren't bad people until they kill someone.

:roll:

Your behavior in a single instance makes you a bad person forever!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I am not convinced that those pose an equivalent danger, but I would only ever do the last one anyway.

Saw something on TV where they did a study on texting while driving and the response time for texters was about the same as drunks.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Drunk driving is bad, those who do it should be punished, but they're not terrible people because of it, necessarily.

However, ITT, losers are painting themselves as infallible beings.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What if you kill someone while texting? While flipping thru your CD case? While checking out a hot blond on the side of the road?

Oh, okay, I get it! Things that you wouldn't do that pose a danger on the road are bad. Everything else isn't that big of a deal. Makes perfect sense.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:15 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Have you ever had one beer and gotten behind the wheel a few hours later? If so, you could get a DWI in many states. Do you really think it is fair for that scarlet letter to follow you around for the rest of your career and life?

I would really like to know if/how this is really possible.

So I'm assuming that this is totally incorrect...

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Saw something on TV where they did a study on texting while driving and the response time for texters was about the same as drunks.

In theory, sure that's true. And this isn't advocating texting, but being drunk is a constant - you can't just not be drunk in high traffic areas. Texting isn't. You can text when there aren't other cars on the road, at stoplights, etc. and then not text when there's more danger. Still doesn't make it right, but I don't buy that the two are equivalent.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Tautology wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Texting while driving actually something of an equivalent danger. If you've been in this thread criticizing DWI, you really shouldn't text or talk on the phone while driving either, because research bears out that that's fairly dangerous as well.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:22 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Have you ever had one beer and gotten behind the wheel a few hours later? If so, you could get a DWI in many states. Do you really think it is fair for that scarlet letter to follow you around for the rest of your career and life?

From wikipedia:

All states in the U.S. designate a per se blood or breath alcohol level as the threshold point for an independent criminal offense. A second criminal offense of driving "under the influence" or "while impaired" is also usually charged in most states, with a permissive presumption of guilt where the person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08% or greater (units of milligrams per deciliter, representing 8 g of alcohol in 10 liters of blood).[4] Some states (e.g., Colorado) include a lesser charge, sometimes referred to as driving while ability impaired (this may apply to individuals with a .05% or above, but less than the .08 per se limit for the more serious charge.[4] Wisconsin, however, is the only state that continues to regard first offense drunk driving arrests as a forfeiture.[5]

You are from Illinois, correct? I'm about 90% sure our state has one of these "driving while impaired" laws, but not positive.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:

From wikipedia:

All states in the U.S. designate a per se blood or breath alcohol level as the threshold point for an independent criminal offense. A second criminal offense of driving "under the influence" or "while impaired" is also usually charged in most states, with a permissive presumption of guilt where the person's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is .08% or greater (units of milligrams per deciliter, representing 8 g of alcohol in 10 liters of blood).[4] Some states (e.g., Colorado) include a lesser charge, sometimes referred to as driving while ability impaired (this may apply to individuals with a .05% or above, but less than the .08 per se limit for the more serious charge.[4] Wisconsin, however, is the only state that continues to regard first offense drunk driving arrests as a forfeiture.[5]

You are from Illinois, correct? I'm about 90% sure our state has one of these "driving while impaired" laws, but not positive.

You can't have one beer, get behind the wheel a few hours later and still be .05. Or anything above a .00

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Who the heck still has those?

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:26 pm

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:What if you get a DWI on a bicycle? Same moral problems? What about a segway?

There's a difference in that the chances of you killing an innocent because you are riding a bicycle/segway drunk is much lower.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

If you're paying attention to driving while you do it, you're doing something wrong.

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 pm

legalease9 wrote:
LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:What if you get a DWI on a bicycle? Same moral problems? What about a segway?

There's a difference in that the chances of you killing an innocent because you are riding a bicycle/segway drunk is much lower.

You can't get a DWI on a bicycle, either, IIRC. I dunno about a segway. I'm pretty sure it has to be a motorized vehicle. Riding lawnmowers do apply, however.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:[quote="SaintClarence27

From wikipedia:

You can't have one beer, get behind the wheel a few hours later and still be .05. Or anything above a .00[/quote]

Okay, minor exaggeration on my part. But you sure could have a couple of beers and get behind the wheel a few hours later.

Being over .05 does not put anyone at risk. And honestly, I'm not sure .08 really does either. There is a huge difference between being tanked and driving and having a few.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

SaintClarence27 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:

You can't get a DWI on a bicycle, either, IIRC. I dunno about a segway. I'm pretty sure it has to be a motorized vehicle. Riding lawnmowers do apply, however.

You can get a DWI on a bicycle, at least in some states.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:

+1

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:29 pm

paratactical wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:

It depends on the statute.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
SaintClarence27 wrote:
SaintClarence27

From wikipedia:

You can't have one beer, get behind the wheel a few hours later and still be .05. Or anything above a .00

Okay, minor exaggeration on my part. But you sure could have a couple of beers and get behind the wheel a few hours later.

Being over .05 does not put anyone at risk. And honestly, I'm not sure .08 really does either. There is a huge difference between being tanked and driving and having a few.[/quote]

[quote="romothesavior wrote:Come on people, this is TLS, not xoxo or one of those other eyesore websites. Learn how to quote so I don't want to smash my head against the wall when reading.

Edit - fucking hell. My mockery of Romo's quote fail quote failed.
Last edited by kalvano on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”