When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I see that many people are just finding out about the status of waitlist, etc.

However, the forum seems to suggest to begin applying as soon as Sep/Oct/Nov.

If you start applying in Sep, it can take until July for an answer? :cry:

Also, does the ED decision generally take as long, or is it per school/per each individuals credentials basis?

Thanks-

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby Hey-O » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:48 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:I see that many people are just finding out about the status of waitlist, etc.

However, the forum seems to suggest to begin applying as soon as Sep/Oct/Nov.

If you start applying in Sep, it can take until July for an answer? :cry:

Also, does the ED decision generally take as long, or is it per school/per each individuals credentials basis?

Thanks-


Depends on the school. Some people waited seven months for an answer from NYU and then got on the waitlist...so yeah it can take awhile.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby Pearalegal » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Applied in Sept to Cornell, still waiting.

:mrgreen:

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osmlpz
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby osmlpz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:52 pm

blowhard wrote:
TOMaHULK wrote:I see that many people are just finding out about the status of waitlist, etc.

However, the forum seems to suggest to begin applying as soon as Sep/Oct/Nov.

If you start applying in Sep, it can take until July for an answer? :cry:

Also, does the ED decision generally take as long, or is it per school/per each individuals credentials basis?

Thanks-


My earliest was Nov I think...a few in Dec...and some I didn't hear I was WL'd until May.

Here is my LSN profile.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/blhoward2

You can lookup others on that site.


Damn, applied early action at Cornell and STILL waiting. Any response or status update from them yet?

EDIT: Real nice softs btw.
Last edited by osmlpz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Cornell are TOTAL bastards when it comes to this. They make you wait FOREVER.

TOMaHULK
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby TOMaHULK » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:58 pm

That really sucks...

These schools sound like they expect you to put your life on hold and then jump and move across country at their convenience.

I hope the schools I'm interested in, at least let me know within a reasonable time frame (what I consider reasonable, not them).

It'd be nice if I got an acceptance letter from my top choice early on, and then I guess it wouldn't matter, etc. :cry:

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:04 pm

.
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lateforthesky16
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:05 pm

TOMaHULK wrote:If you start applying in Sep, it can take until July for an answer? :cry:



sure, if you apply to Cornell, Davis, or Emory!

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Cornell has an early action option. This pushed all of their RDs back forever (as they did with me). But Duke took the longest. I applied in late Oct, and only heard back in May.

But here is the great thing about applying early: you have a better chance of admission, and you just might find out that you got into a reach in early December, just as I did. There is nothing better than months of knowing that no matter what the other schools say, you'll be in good shape.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:37 pm

sumus romani wrote:Cornell has an early action option. This pushed all of their RDs back forever (as they did with me). But Duke took the longest. I applied in late Oct, and only heard back in May.

But here is the great thing about applying early: you have a better chance of admission, and you just might find out that you got into a reach in early December, just as I did. There is nothing better than months of knowing that no matter what the other schools say, you'll be in good shape.


I was early action at Cornell, they "held" most of us for early review. I only know of one or two people they actually answered on time.

ajmanyjah
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:55 pm

It seems like most grad schools in any field are like this...I applied, flew across a boarder from Vancouver to DC to interview for a PhD program...then waited until April, emailed them and was told I was on the waitlist (thanks for telling me AFTER I contacted you) then I had to contact them again in JUNE to be told I was turned down.

When there are thousands of applicants for 300 spots (or 8-10 in the PhD program) I guess you are really everyone's bitch

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: When you start applying in SEP, how long until a decision?

Postby sumus romani » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:02 pm

blowhard wrote:
sumus romani wrote:Cornell has an early action option. This pushed all of their RDs back forever (as they did with me). But Duke took the longest. I applied in late Oct, and only heard back in May.

But here is the great thing about applying early: you have a better chance of admission, and you just might find out that you got into a reach in early December, just as I did. There is nothing better than months of knowing that no matter what the other schools say, you'll be in good shape.


I was early action at Cornell, they "held" most of us for early review. I only know of one or two people they actually answered on time.



In a perverse way, I'm glad to hear it :?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests