Northwestern LSAT 160 4.0 GPA URM What are my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nematoad

Re: Northwestern LSAT 160 4.0 GPA URM What are my chances?

Postby nematoad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:00 pm

I would be really surprised if you got rejected at both NW and Cornell. A 4.0 and 3 years work experience is really good in general, and amazingly good as a URM. Apply to Fordham as well if you like NY. And id throw out apps at NYU and Columbia.. as a URM it would a shame if it you didnt take some chances.

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:01 pm

DUDE YOU HAVE A 4.0 RETAKE AHHHHHHHHH

Nola

Postby Nola » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:01 pm

osmlpz wrote:
Nola wrote:Why is everyone so intent on only going to a top school? Don't lawyers who don't go to top schools survive. Or are they all waiting in the bread lines trying to figure out what went wrong? Let's say you pay full price for a law degree from Loyola Chicago then graduate with substantial debt. You will likely get a decent job after school. The average for that school was 95k. After paying your loans off in ten years, you would be set. Is everyone just that shortsided?

Logical Fallacies 101

EDIT: big mediocre beat me to the response

Actually that is called qualifying language "likely" leaves open an entire range of possibilities including not getting a job. By reading the schools own stats you will see that within 9 months of graduation 90% or so of grads had jobs and the average was 95k.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Nola wrote:
osmlpz wrote:
Nola wrote:Why is everyone so intent on only going to a top school? Don't lawyers who don't go to top schools survive. Or are they all waiting in the bread lines trying to figure out what went wrong? Let's say you pay full price for a law degree from Loyola Chicago then graduate with substantial debt. You will likely get a decent job after school. The average for that school was 95k. After paying your loans off in ten years, you would be set. Is everyone just that shortsided?

Logical Fallacies 101

EDIT: big mediocre beat me to the response

Actually that is called qualifying language "likely" leaves open an entire range of possibilities including not getting a job. By reading the schools own stats you will see that within 9 months of graduation 90% or so of grads had jobs and the average was 95k.

And that might just be the problem. Who holds the schools accountable for those numbers? They report them on their own...if you don't think they aren't fudging them a bit....well, think again.

existenz

Postby existenz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:Retake the LSAT

This.

Dude an extra 5-10 points would save you tens of thousands in scholarship money and guarantee better job prospects. Being too lazy to study again is not an excuse.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Nola wrote:I know that but who doesn't love a good rant. I am just getting a little tired of people (including myself) losing their shit over this whole process. An associate of mine's husband went to a state school and he is rolling in the dough. Just wanted to keep it in perspective that's all. We are all going to some law school. The question is: Which one? Not a bad spot to be in overall.

Anecdotal evidence doesn't have to indicate a general trend or overall likelihood. I invite you to explore many career sources to see better careers than law. There is no expected growth in the field but a big increase in potential degree candidates. Other grad degrees with 1 or 2 year time frame and lower debt load may be better options.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”