College courses while in high school question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
masochist

Bronze

College courses while in high school question

Post by masochist » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 pm

I suspect I already know the answer to this, but I will ask anyway.

I was enrolled in a community college while I was in high school, but my snooty undergrad institution would not accept any of the credits. Now I am wondering if I can count these credits as part of my UG GPA record even though they did not contribute to my undergrad degree. I wouldn’t bother trying to find out, but it would raise my undergrad GPA by a pretty substantial amount if I could include this coursework.

Iconoclast

Bronze

Re: College courses while in high school question

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:01 pm

Yes, it counts.

It would even count if you didn't want it to (which seems to be the more common issue).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Yep, on your LSAC account under CAS list it as an instutiton attended and have the registrar/whoever at that community college send a transcript to LSAC.

Boilernation11

New

Post by Boilernation11 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm

It won't count toward your UG GPA because technically they wern't taken at your UG school. Even if they were transfered to your UG school, GPA doesnt transfer just the credits.

Since those credits are not on your UG transcript, you can also submit your transcript from the community college but to be honest, CC & UG is like apples and oranges and LS wont be impressed with a 4.0 GPA at a CC.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Boilernation11 wrote:It won't count toward your UG GPA because technically they wern't taken at your UG school. Even if they were transfered to your UG school, GPA doesnt transfer just the credits.

Since those credits are not on your UG transcript, you can also submit your transcript from the community college but to be honest, CC & UG is like apples and oranges and LS wont be impressed with a 4.0 GPA at a CC.
Not at all correct. You must submit ALL undergrad work to LSAC or you may have C&F issues when you graduate. LSAC doesn't care at all what your undergrad says your GPA is...they recompute including all UG work.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Iconoclast

Bronze

Post by Iconoclast » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Boilernation11 wrote:It won't count toward your UG GPA because technically they wern't taken at your UG school. Even if they were transfered to your UG school, GPA doesnt transfer just the credits.

When you don't know the answer, it's usually better to keep your mouth shut.

You are REQUIRED to submit ALL college work to LSAC... not just what is on your degree granting institution's transcript. And all credits completed in the US prior to receiving your first degree are factored into the GPA (international stuff has slightly different rules... but since that didn't apply to me I didn't really look closely at them).

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Masochist, don't listen to this guy. You are required by LSAC to submit all college transcripts, even those for which you received no credit at your degree granting institution and those for which you received transfer credit.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:15 am

masochist wrote:I suspect I already know the answer to this, but I will ask anyway.

I was enrolled in a community college while I was in high school, but my snooty undergrad institution would not accept any of the credits. Now I am wondering if I can count these credits as part of my UG GPA record even though they did not contribute to my undergrad degree. I wouldn’t bother trying to find out, but it would raise my undergrad GPA by a pretty substantial amount if I could include this coursework.
All college credits count toward your LSDAS GPA, regardless of how your UG treats them.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Cool! Thanks for the help everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”