ED to two schools (if one WL you?) How fast do you find out? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
czelede

Silver

ED to two schools (if one WL you?) How fast do you find out?

Post by czelede » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:40 pm

How fast is the ED turnaround for the t14? The reason I ask is that I'm undecided between ED-ing one of CCN or UPenn (UPenn because I don't want to risk being WL as they are egregious yield protectors). I'm looking at a T6 with a Sept 1 application cycle start that I have a very iffy chance at, whereas an ED to Penn would make me almost certainly a lock. If Penn's cycle doesn't open until October 1st, is there any chance I would hear back from my CCN ED before then and ED a second school?

Additionally, I am pretty sure I would be WL but not rejected (at least, not from the onset - possibly a WL then reject, though), does that absolve you of the ED bind?

Bosque

Gold

Re: ED to two schools (if one WL you?) How fast do you find out?

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

No, you are not going to be able to do this. First of all, even if you get in all your paperwork by the first day applications open (and with Letters of Recommendation, the LSAC, and your own overconfidence in your organizational skills, that is a big if), the earliest you are likely to hear back is around November. You might get lucky and hear back at the end of October, or the might take until December. In any case, they are not near as fast as you are hoping.

But even if they DID let you know immediately, I am pretty sure you still could not ED at two schools. Those forms you sign when you send it in also usually have a section talking about how you cannot go ED at any other school, and they talk back and forth between themselves. I know it seems like you would be doing nothing wrong, and you might be able to argue that point, but at that point they will already have rejected you and your life will have become infinitely more complicated by having to defend yourself.

So sorry Charlie. I would just make sure to write one hell of a "Why Penn" essay and hope for the best. (Or alternatively apply to a law school which doesn't suck :P)

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm curious about this as well since it seems like there is advice going around to ED one place and if you get WL then ED UVa since their deadline is so late. On that note anecdotal experience of who has the fastest turnaround for t14 other than UVa would be great.
thanks

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:58 pm

Bosque is incorrect.

I have confirmed with the admissions departments of NYU, UMich, and GULC that it does not matter if you ED'ed prior or ED after you are released from your contract. Thus, if your decision is rendered as anything other than an admit (waitlist, rejection, deferral regular applicant pool) then you can go ahead and ED to other places. On the other hand, some schools (the only one I know of is NU) do not allow this at all. Check with the admissions departments of both schools to see if it is allowed.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

That should give you a rough idea of how quick they are. The problem is that none, except UVa to my knowledge, will give a decision prior to Nov 1, which is when CLS starts giving them out. Some don't even give decisions till Dec 1 (NYU). There is also no guarantee you will be given your decision at the beginning of when decisions are rendered, which would be a problem considered Nov 1 is the deadline for most ED's.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:16 pm

You can't ED to a CCN and Penn in the same cycle, since you won't receive a decision until December, which is after all the ED deadlines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm

bk187 wrote:Bosque is incorrect.

I have confirmed with the admissions departments of NYU, UMich, and GULC that it does not matter if you ED'ed prior or ED after you are released from your contract. Thus, if your decision is rendered as anything other than an admit (waitlist, rejection, deferral regular applicant pool) then you can go ahead and ED to other places. On the other hand, some schools (the only one I know of is NU) do not allow this at all. Check with the admissions departments of both schools to see if it is allowed.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/decision-dates.html

That should give you a rough idea of how quick they are. The problem is that none, except UVa to my knowledge, will give a decision prior to Nov 1, which is when CLS starts giving them out. Some don't even give decisions till Dec 1 (NYU). There is also no guarantee you will be given your decision at the beginning of when decisions are rendered, which would be a problem considered Nov 1 is the deadline for most ED's.
So, you said I was incorrect, and then went on to say pretty much the same thing I did (at least the part which mattered). Interesting.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:53 pm

I should have been clearer. I was specifically referring to this:
Bosque wrote:But even if they DID let you know immediately, I am pretty sure you still could not ED at two schools. Those forms you sign when you send it in also usually have a section talking about how you cannot go ED at any other school, and they talk back and forth between themselves. I know it seems like you would be doing nothing wrong, and you might be able to argue that point, but at that point they will already have rejected you and your life will have become infinitely more complicated by having to defend yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”