2.86 GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dukelawguy144

Re: 2.86 GPA

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

Boilernation11 wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:
Boilernation11 wrote:
kalvano wrote:OP, study hard and do well on the LSAT so you can be a lawyer. By default, you'll be a better lawyer than dukelawguy.

very true but i think all of us will be better lawyers than dukelawguy!

ok some of you may be better lawyers but the truth is...you will have to work 100 times harder to even get the remote level of respect I will have with my degree. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Low tier graduates have it much harder in this field. It's possible you will achieve the same thing that a t14 grad will, but the odds are not in your favor

Also OP, yea it's difficult to manage school and work. But I was president of my frat and worked while I was in school, so LS wont think of that as a valid excuse....

wow president of your frat... things just became so clear!

Is that supposed to be an insult?

ajmanyjah

Postby ajmanyjah » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:
Boilernation11 wrote:
kalvano wrote:OP, study hard and do well on the LSAT so you can be a lawyer. By default, you'll be a better lawyer than dukelawguy.

ok some of you may be better lawyers but the truth is...you will have to work 100 times harder to even get the remote level of respect I will have with my degree. Sorry, it's just the way it is. Low tier graduates have it much harder in this field. It's possible you will achieve the same thing that a t14 grad will, but the odds are not in your favor

Also OP, yea it's difficult to manage school and work. But I was president of my frat and worked while I was in school, so LS wont think of that as a valid excuse....

I don't usually say this, but with all your fronting your tiny dick must get obscured.

And "President of your Frat" doesn't count as something that takes up time...I might as well put "Expert Whisk(e)y Drinker" as a soft

Not to mention, B10 and good public schools in general don't have grade inflation, whereas I am betting you went to some yacht club/polo shirt private school, where you could beg your profs for better grades...

Boilernation11

Postby Boilernation11 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Also OP, yea it's difficult to manage school and work. But I was president of my frat and worked while I was in school, so LS wont think of that as a valid excuse....[/quote]

wow president of your frat... things just became so clear![/quote]

Is that supposed to be an insult?[/quote]

cant figure it out? another sign youre going to be a fine lawyer.. FYI more sarcasm.

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:33 pm

ajmanyjah wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:
Boilernation11 wrote:

I don't usually say this, but with all your fronting your tiny dick must get obscured.

And "President of your Frat" doesn't count as something that takes up time...I might as well put "Expert Whisk(e)y Drinker" as a soft

Not to mention, B10 and good public schools in general don't have grade inflation, whereas I am betting you went to some yacht club/polo shirt private school, where you could beg your profs for better grades...[/quote

I actually attended a shitty UG state school and got a baller GPA (top 5% of my class) and decent LSAT. So nice try to put the rich kid who gets everything handed to him comeback. It was cute. By the way, even though I did spend majority of my UG drinking and managing the best frat on campus, I still managed to get pretty sick grades and admission into a t14....

Boilernation11

Postby Boilernation11 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:38 pm

very true but i think all of us will be better lawyers than dukelawguy![/quote]

Also OP, yea it's difficult to manage school and work. But I was president of my frat and worked while I was in school, so LS wont think of that as a valid excuse....[/quote][/quote]

Not to mention, B10 and good public schools in general don't have grade inflation, whereas I am betting you went to some yacht club/polo shirt private school, where you could beg your profs for better grades..

I actually attended a shitty UG state school and got a baller GPA (top 5% of my class) and decent LSAT. So nice try to put the rich kid who gets everything handed to him comeback. By the way, even though I did spend majority of my UG drinking and managing the best frat on campus, I still managed to get pretty sick grades and admission into a t14

president of the "best frat" @ a shitty UG school... thats like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's!!

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 pm

lawschoolhelp wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:
Boilernation11 wrote:

Dukelawguy144, people like you make me question duke's reputation. Also, people could say that you will never have the respect of a Harvard, Yale, Upenn, Columbia, NYU, Chicago, and Berkley graduate....Why do you need to put other people down? Some people face adversity when trying to achieve their goal. My boyfriend, struggled a lot with the LSATs for example, got scores in the 150s and then got a 173. He is going to attend Columbia now. But people were saying when he was scoring in the 150's that he no shot at a top14 school. I know its not the same thing as OP, but the point is, you can achieve your goals even if you have some trouble along the way.

Dukelawguy- your posts are negative and unnecessary

TBF, I am pretty sure that guy is not at Duke yet. I don't even know if we let him in or not. Don't judge us all by him. (I have a feeling if he is like his online persona in this thread he is going to be like Tucker Max and HATE it here. We are likely too friendly and nerdy for his tastes. However, I am ready and willing to be proven wrong. He is likely a cool, friendly guy in real life.)

But again TBF, although he is being rather caustic about it he has some legitimate points. OP, you should try your darnedest to highlight that your Major GPA is higher than your overall one, but I would not count on that doing you a lot of good. Law schools tend to care about the LSAC GPA and the LSAC GPA only. There is not going to be a way to completely negate that 2.86-it will hurt you. you just need to construct your applications in a way that takes that into account.

Also, if you end up at a school ranked in the 70s, you do need to be aware of what that means. They are all great schools, I know a lot of fantastic lawyers from schools in that range. But it is harder to find a job outside of the state the school is in coming from those schools. It can be done certainly (some of the lawyers I am thinking about have moved across country with their degrees) but you will likely need to work in the area for a while first.

OP, I think I would advise you not to apply to law school... yet. Go get some work experience. Not only will it make you a stronger candidate and give you something to talk about on your application, it will also likely help with getting a real job once you are done with law school and most importantly distance yourself a little from that GPA. Schools are a lot friendlier to splitters with work experience than splitters without it.

PS - One more thing I have noticed. LSH, I know you were overstating to counteract the other guy, but from what I have seen you are wrong about the respect. In the actual practicing legal world, it seems like the T14 (with maybe the exception of HYS) all get about the same level of respect. In fact, I would lump Texas, Vandy, USC, and UCLA in there too. And going down from there it is not as big a drop off as law students and law school applicants typically think. Where the difference is made is in hiring, not the respect you get for your degree. May seem like I am splitting hairs, but hopefully you understand what I mean.
Last edited by Bosque on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:42 pm

president of the "best frat" @ a shitty UG school... thats like being the prettiest waitress at Denny's!!

[/quote]

Ok Ill give you that getting phi beta kappa at a shitty state school and being pres of the fraternity may not be that impressive...but my 97% percentile on my LSAT without taking a prep course earned me enough respect to get into Duke, Cornell, UVA and GTOWN.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:44 pm

PLATONiC wrote:Get 170+ and you might even end up with scholarship money at WUSTL. :D will receive 10k per year from WUSTL

ftfy :wink: Also, if you have WE and can land a 171-172+, Northwestern is the goal. ED to make it happen.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:46 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:

Ok Ill give you that getting phi beta kappa at a shitty state school and being pres of the fraternity may not be that impressive...but my 97% percentile on my LSAT without taking a prep course earned me enough respect to get into Duke, Cornell, UVA and GTOWN.

People would be more inclined to compliment you on your accomplishments if you didnt act like an asshole for no reason. Dude has a 2.86 not a 2.1 or something and got a 158 cold. He still has lots of potential.
Last edited by merichard87 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolhelp

Postby lawschoolhelp » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:52 pm

merichard87 wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:

People would be more inclined to compliment you on your accomplishments if you didnt act like an asshole for no reason. Dude has a 2.86 not a 2.1 or something and got a 158 cold. He still has lots of potential.[/quote]

YES OP still does have potential. A 2.86 is between a B- and B, plus a 3.7 in major is pretty decent. I believe if you highlight your strengths, retake the LSAT and maybe gain some good work experience for an amazing PS, you will earn admission into a good law school.

Dukelawguy- you have earned your admission into duke, but posting condescending comments on threads to people that are asking for serious advice is not nice.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 pm

I got a 2.8 from a Big Ten school, got a 176 and got into Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota, the later with scholarship money.

Your GPA will hold you back, but you can make up for most of it. Focus on destroying the LSAT.

Also LOL at the Duke student prestige whoring.

sweepsingle

Postby sweepsingle » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I appreciate all of the advice. Dukelaw guy, I get it that you think you're better than me - you can stop pumping your tires now.

I have 2 years of work experience, and will have 3 by next fall. One year I spent helping run a nonprofit, and I've been working mainly in sales for the last year. I don't feel that waiting any longer will substantially help my cause.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:05 pm

sweepsingle wrote:I appreciate all of the advice. Dukelaw guy, I get it that you think you're better than me - you can stop pumping your tires now.

I have 2 years of work experience, and will have 3 by next fall. One year I spent helping run a nonprofit, and I've been working mainly in sales for the last year. I don't feel that waiting any longer will substantially help my cause.
Yeah it will. All you need is the LSAT score. I'm pretty sure they've taken someone being a waiter or something and counted it as WE. Study till your eyes bleed and score a 172. That is now your sole directive in life. LG and LR Bibles are the only tools you need.
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I got a 2.8 from a Big Ten school, got a 176 and got into Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota, the later with scholarship money.

Your GPA will hold you back, but you can make up for most of it. Focus on destroying the LSAT.

*Thousand Yard Stare*

Watch it, Desert Fox. You are not there quite yet, but that was dangerously close to an attack on my school. No need to start railing against an institution which the real object of your aggression is not even a part of yet.

*Cue the shootout wah wah wahs*

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Bosque wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I got a 2.8 from a Big Ten school, got a 176 and got into Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota, the later with scholarship money.

*Thousand Yard Stare*

Watch it, Desert Fox. You are not there quite yet, but that was dangerously close to an attack on my school. No need to start railing against an institution which the real object of your aggression is not even a part of yet.

*Cue the shootout Wah wah wahs*

Haha, NU is TTT as well. At least ITE.

sweepsingle

Postby sweepsingle » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm

stratocophic wrote:
sweepsingle wrote:I appreciate all of the advice. Dukelaw guy, I get it that you think you're better than me - you can stop pumping your tires now.

Yeah it will. All you need is the LSAT score. I'm pretty sure they've taken someone being a waiter or something and counted it as WE. Study till your eyes bleed and score a 172. That is now your sole directive in life. LG and LR Bibles are the only tools you need.

I am signed up for a 3 month PR prep course that'll begin soon. I also have some purchased some kaplan materials that I'm studying. Could you link me to the bibles you'd suggest?

Thanks.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:36 pm

sweepsingle wrote:
stratocophic wrote:

I am signed up for a 3 month PR prep course that'll begin soon. I also have some purchased some kaplan materials that I'm studying. Could you link me to the bibles you'd suggest?

Thanks.
http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-LSAT-Logic-Games-Bible/dp/097212960X

Here ya go. The LR one is somewhere on the page too. I'd get a ton of preptests too. If you're serious about studying and can devote a bunch of time to it, there's no need for the course. I went from a disheartening 159 diagnostic to my current score (in profile) with nothing more than the preptest books sold by LSAC, the bibles, and 2-3 months of studying for several hours a day a few times a week. I'm quick and a good standardized test taker but by no means a genius. This is completely doable without the extra $1000 expense.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”