3.05/170 - what's the best i can do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
afa_brandon

3.05/170 - what's the best i can do?

Postby afa_brandon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:43 pm

My circumstances are weird, I think--I'd go under a military program, so a) job placement is a non-point, since i'll be a a JAG, and b) tuition caps are important--the military won't pay more than 16-18k/year. The only thing i can do to offset that is merit scholarships--no financial aid or personal money. So, if school x is 25k/year, but will spot me 10k/yr merit based scholarships, then it's doable.

Anyway, with that in mind, i figure wisconsin is a good target (i get in-state rates for any state school, i think), but I'm wondering how much better than that i can do. my criterion are basically quality of education (i am into int'l law and human rights stuff) and location (i prefer places that are medium-to-large city areas).

my softs are debate team captain with top 10 ranking in one of the biggest leagues in the country, 7.5 years of military experience and extensive int'l volunteer work. oh, and the gpa is from a service academy, with a significant upward trend and pretty valid addendum explaining my first year grades.

I can't ED, i don't think, because that would blow any scholarship chances, and i simply can't do sticker. is that accurate?

anyway, thoughts?

ps - i have, of course, checked lsp obsessively, but i'm curious on thoughts about, specifically, scholarships

Hey-O

Re: 3.05/170 - what's the best i can do?

Postby Hey-O » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

This is a very difficult problem. Probably your best source of info would be to look at law school numbers and see what kind of money people with similar numbers as you got.

vespertiliovir

Postby vespertiliovir » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:56 pm

This Guy has pretty similar stats to you, and managed to get into some places ranked higher than Wisconsin -- notably Michigan.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:58 pm

afa_brandon wrote:My circumstances are weird, I think--I'd go under a military program, so a) job placement is a non-point, since i'll be a a JAG, and b) tuition caps are important--the military won't pay more than 16-18k/year. The only thing i can do to offset that is merit scholarships--no financial aid or personal money. So, if school x is 25k/year, but will spot me 10k/yr merit based scholarships, then it's doable.

Anyway, with that in mind, i figure wisconsin is a good target (i get in-state rates for any state school, i think), but I'm wondering how much better than that i can do. my criterion are basically quality of education (i am into int'l law and human rights stuff) and location (i prefer places that are medium-to-large city areas).

my softs are debate team captain with top 10 ranking in one of the biggest leagues in the country, 7.5 years of military experience and extensive int'l volunteer work. oh, and the gpa is from a service academy, with a significant upward trend and pretty valid addendum explaining my first year grades.

I can't ED, i don't think, because that would blow any scholarship chances, and i simply can't do sticker. is that accurate?

anyway, thoughts?

ps - i have, of course, checked lsp obsessively, but i'm curious on thoughts about, specifically, scholarships

Ok, well if you can't do stick, you can cross of the T17, you won't get money there, though you probably could get in.

UIUC + Minnesota + WUSTL you'll get at least 20K per year at one, I promise.

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm

thanks everyone. I've browsed lsn for a bit but it's difficult to detect trends in scholarships from the limited sample of lsn. are scholarships largely numbers based, or do they consider the "total person concept," if you will?

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Nohwhere worth going to because you won't get into a t14

cardnal124

Postby cardnal124 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:26 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:Nohwhere worth going to because you won't get into a t14

RC/LR fail. If he can do JAG as a member of the military, then his first job out of school is covered. That first job is typically the only justification people have for the T14 or bust mindset.

OP - You should be able to get money out of a school in the 18-35 range. Minn, WUSTL and UIUC are the best bets probably (as was mentioned).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:30 pm

WUSTL and UIUC will probably buy your LSAT score with some serious $$$$.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”