3.58/170, chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
farrellaroonie

New

3.58/170, chances?

Post by farrellaroonie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi all,
I was just hoping if anyone had helpful thoughts. I am a graduating senior at UCLA. My cumulative GPA is a 3.58, my UCLA GPA is a 3.7, and I scored 170 on the LSAT.

I have, I think, good softs:
study abroad (at Maastricht University) in the Netherlands for a semester,
study abroad (at Cambridge University) in the UK for a semester,
internship in Sacramento, CA in the Governor's Office, and
volunteer project for 6 weeks in Belize, working at an orphanage
disc jockeyed a radio show for a semester at UCLA.

I am intending on applying to:
Michigan (long shot)
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown - ED
UCLA
UT Austin
Vandy
USC

*(I am also planning on referencing somewhere in my application (resume or PS) the experience of my having traveled through 12 countries in Europe on backpacking excursions. I was contemplating writing my PS on how I hitchhiked from southern Portugal into Spain, and the things this experience gave me. This was just a thought.....it's a good story but I am not quite worked out yet on how to tie this into what it means for my goals in law school and life.)

Thanks in advance!

ohmy212

New

Re: 3.58/170, chances?

Post by ohmy212 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:03 pm

farrellaroonie wrote:Hi all,
I was just hoping if anyone had helpful thoughts. I am a graduating senior at UCLA. My cumulative GPA is a 3.58, my UCLA GPA is a 3.7, and I scored 170 on the LSAT.

I have, I think, good softs:
study abroad (at Maastricht University) in the Netherlands for a semester,
study abroad (at Cambridge University) in the UK for a semester,
internship in Sacramento, CA in the Governor's Office, and
volunteer project for 6 weeks in Belize, working at an orphanage
disc jockeyed a radio show for a semester at UCLA.

I am intending on applying to:
Michigan (long shot)
Duke
Cornell
Georgetown - ED
UCLA
UT Austin
Vandy
USC

*(I am also planning on referencing somewhere in my application (resume or PS) the experience of my having traveled through 12 countries in Europe on backpacking excursions. I was contemplating writing my PS on how I hitchhiked from southern Portugal into Spain, and the things this experience gave me. This was just a thought.....it's a good story but I am not quite worked out yet on how to tie this into what it means for my goals in law school and life.)

Thanks in advance!
I don't think Michigan is a long shot at all. I have the same GPA and only one point higher on the LSAT (and maybe slightly better softs) and I received a merit scholarship at Michigan. Just submit a strong, clean application and you should be fine. Good luck!

ohmy212

New

Post by ohmy212 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:04 pm

Also, ED at Georgetown? Why? You shouldn't have any problem there applying regular decision.

captainculpepper

New

Post by captainculpepper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 pm

Why not ED to Michigan?

farrellaroonie

New

Post by farrellaroonie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I've seen the 25/75 percentiles for GPA and LSAT at Georgetown and i figured I'd have a 50/50 shot regular admission, but give myself a boost with early decision. Is that worth it? (what with the risk of no forthcoming fin. aid.)

And I'm worried that IF I got into Michigan through ED I would not get enough aid. Applying ED to Michigan probably would help me over 50/50 line for getting in though.....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:17 pm

farrellaroonie wrote:I've seen the 25/75 percentiles for GPA and LSAT at Georgetown and i figured I'd have a 50/50 shot regular admission, but give myself a boost with early decision. Is that worth it? (what with the risk of no forthcoming fin. aid.)

And I'm worried that IF I got into Michigan through ED I would not get enough aid. Applying ED to Michigan probably would help me over 50/50 line for getting in though.....
If you prefer GULC, then ED should get you in there.

farrellaroonie

New

Post by farrellaroonie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 am

Perhaps a silly question, but would applying ED at Michigan bump me up (in anyone's opinion) and could doing so leave me paying sticker? That's the main thing that I'm hesitant about when it comes to applying ED at UM, that if I got in I'd have to pay sticker because I'd be a splitter.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:32 am

Incidentally, your softs are just okay, and writing about just traveling may make you seem spoiled if you don't play it right.

Good #s though. I'd just look on LSN. You're a pretty typical applicant.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:50 am

farrellaroonie wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but would applying ED at Michigan bump me up (in anyone's opinion) and could doing so leave me paying sticker? That's the main thing that I'm hesitant about when it comes to applying ED at UM, that if I got in I'd have to pay sticker because I'd be a splitter.
If you apply ED to Michigan, you should plan to pay sticker especially since you're a splitter.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:53 am

You should blanket T7-14, with a couple T6's + a few safeties (up to T20). If money is an issue for you, avoid ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”