columbia or berkeley for patent litigation? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcdsa

New

columbia or berkeley for patent litigation?

Post by mcdsa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Last edited by mcdsa on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Gold

Re: columbia or berkeley for patent litigation?

Post by Veyron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:30 pm

mcdsa wrote:BS-MS EE from top engineering program, dinged at HYS, choosing between Columbia and Boalt.

I want to be a world class patent litigator 20 years from now.
If you want to be truly world class at patent litigation, how could you beat going to Berk and having three years of constant exposure to the global center of technological innovation?

mcdsa

New

Post by mcdsa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:32 pm

My concern is being limited to the Bay Area/California market out of Berkeley - versus more nationwide options from Columbia?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:39 pm

mcdsa wrote:My concern is being limited to the Bay Area/California market out of Berkeley - versus more nationwide options from Columbia?
If you are fairly sure you want to work in NYC's silicon valley 2.0 (which will go right out the fucking window once banking recovers) you may want to do CLS. Berk places just as well for IP in all other markets save DC and Chicago (which are not the bigtime patent places anyway) and arguably better in Nor/So Cal. It is known for IP whereas CLS is more known for corporate.

mcdsa

New

Post by mcdsa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

thank you so much

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Veyron wrote:
mcdsa wrote:My concern is being limited to the Bay Area/California market out of Berkeley - versus more nationwide options from Columbia?
If you are fairly sure you want to work in NYC's silicon valley 2.0 (which will go right out the fucking window once banking recovers) you may want to do CLS. Berk places just as well for IP in all other markets save DC and Chicago (which are not the bigtime patent places anyway) and arguably better in Nor/So Cal. It is known for IP whereas CLS is more known for corporate.
Whozadahwhat now? Since when has DC not been a big patent place?

I don't think you know what you are talking about, buddy.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Bosque wrote:
Veyron wrote:

THE bigtime patent places are SF/SV possibly NYC, amirite? D.C. would rank four, no?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Veyron wrote:

THE bigtime patent places are SF/SV possibly NYC, amirite? D.C. would rank four, no?
Nope.
dood wrote: To others: patent litigation markets are: DC>SF~CHI~TEXAS>NYC.
This is exactly what I have always heard. And it is why I am getting used to the fact that I will probably end up in DC, Dallas, or San Fran.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”