I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ta06fsu
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby ta06fsu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Bosque wrote:We were discussing what this offer meant earlier in another thread. I think the consensus we reached is that it sounds like an offer to be considered for next years class, not another application. All he will have to do is fill out a short form. So we don't think he needs to withdraw his UT application to take advantage of the Duke offer. If the OP signs the paper, he has two possible outcomes:

1. Duke lets him in and he has to enroll there in 2011.

2. Duke rejects him and he goes to UT in the fall.

So, if he would go to Duke sticker if they let him in I see no point in not signing the paper. Worst case scenario he is right back where he started. Only reason to not sign the paper is if he would rather go to UT even if Duke lets him in.


Well said. I considered that point in my thread about this issue(WUSTL) and Duke is the winner in a battle with WUSTL any day. Texas (sigh) tough. In my best interest I say dont send the form in lol. Unselfish self says fill the form out.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Bosque wrote:
I'd call Duke first. If you are calling up UT, chances are you are going to have to carefully explain EXACTLY what it is Duke is offering. Duke has probably been handling a lot of questions about this and probably has the language worked out rather particularly to avoid problems in this vein. If you call Duke first I wager there is a lot lower chance UT will come back with a "withdraw" response.


Fine, whatever. Call someone. I'd just hate to see OP get a shit end of this deal, no matter how slim the chances.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Bosque wrote:
I'd call Duke first. If you are calling up UT, chances are you are going to have to carefully explain EXACTLY what it is Duke is offering. Duke has probably been handling a lot of questions about this and probably has the language worked out rather particularly to avoid problems in this vein. If you call Duke first I wager there is a lot lower chance UT will come back with a "withdraw" response.


Fine, whatever. Call someone. I'd just hate to see OP get a shit end of this deal, no matter how slim the chances.


True, I agree with you. Better to err on the side of caution. Just also better to be very well prepared so that you don't accidentally make it sound like you are doing something highly unethical when you may be doing something perfectly fine.

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:15 pm

Bosque wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Bosque wrote:
I'd call Duke first. If you are calling up UT, chances are you are going to have to carefully explain EXACTLY what it is Duke is offering. Duke has probably been handling a lot of questions about this and probably has the language worked out rather particularly to avoid problems in this vein. If you call Duke first I wager there is a lot lower chance UT will come back with a "withdraw" response.


Fine, whatever. Call someone. I'd just hate to see OP get a shit end of this deal, no matter how slim the chances.


True, I agree with you. Better to err on the side of caution. Just also better to be very well prepared so that you don't accidentally make it sound like you are doing something highly unethical when you may be doing something perfectly fine.


I suggest calling with one of those voice changer things that killer in Scream used.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby Bosque » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Bosque wrote:
I'd call Duke first. If you are calling up UT, chances are you are going to have to carefully explain EXACTLY what it is Duke is offering. Duke has probably been handling a lot of questions about this and probably has the language worked out rather particularly to avoid problems in this vein. If you call Duke first I wager there is a lot lower chance UT will come back with a "withdraw" response.


Fine, whatever. Call someone. I'd just hate to see OP get a shit end of this deal, no matter how slim the chances.


True, I agree with you. Better to err on the side of caution. Just also better to be very well prepared so that you don't accidentally make it sound like you are doing something highly unethical when you may be doing something perfectly fine.


I suggest calling with one of those voice changer things that killer in Scream used.


I concur. Because that would be awesome.

gdh
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby gdh » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:22 pm

First, congratulations on having the opportunity to choose between the two schools.

I think given the personal background you provided Texas is a better fit for you. Geography, and ultimate desire to be back in Texas is really what makes the decision. The financial incentive is very strong and should not be overlooked either. The way I see it your school yields an incredibly valuable network of people. I would imagine that a lot of the top Texas firms have a plethora of die-hard UT alums. You and your resume can have one foot in the door to making a connection without anything else having to be done.

Me personally (from Michigan and wanting a JD/MBA) would take Duke if I got in due to the relative strength of the B-School in addition to law.

Best of luck with the decision.

User avatar
voice of reason
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 am

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby voice of reason » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 am

You cannot go wrong by choosing the best law school within 1000 miles of where you want to live: Texas.

I'd expect OCI at Texas will have a lot more of the Texas firms where you'd want to work, too.

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby sternc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 pm

In response to the above posts saying I should call, I'm going to call Duke this afternoon. What exactly should I be asking? They won't know the exact language and meaning of UT's letter of intent. Do you think I should just ask for the exact meaning of the agreement so I can then relay that to Texas when I call to see if I can do this without crossing any ethical lines?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: I need some serious help... Texas vs. Duke

Postby Bosque » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:54 pm

sternc wrote:In response to the above posts saying I should call, I'm going to call Duke this afternoon. What exactly should I be asking? They won't know the exact language and meaning of UT's letter of intent. Do you think I should just ask for the exact meaning of the agreement so I can then relay that to Texas when I call to see if I can do this without crossing any ethical lines?


Sounds good. As I said above, I am sure they have been handling a lot of questions like this, so they will probably know what you want to ask even if you do not. Just explain your situation, explain your question about what you should do ethically, and explain as best you can what the Texas letter says. Good luck.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Houzy, patrickkpaul and 7 guests