stop!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

stop!

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am

need help. cant log in and update crs!!
Last edited by yoiav on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 am

Depends on your goals. Are you interested in academia / Big law / PI / xxx ? I'd say in most cases I would probably pick Columbia.

User avatar
TheBigMediocre
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 am

Get back to us when you're in at both and have secured the scholarship at Columbia.

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 am

i suppose
Last edited by yoiav on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:07 am

yoiav wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Get back to us when you're in at both and have secured the scholarship at Columbia.

so forget the money. what's the difference between the 2 schools? if i dont intend on going to a big time firm and work crazy hours, does yale over columbia really make a difference?


Of course it makes a difference. The amount of difference it makes, however, depends on what your career path is. For example, if you want to go into academia, it makes a BIG difference. If, on the other hand, you want to work for a law firm in NYC, it probably makes less of a difference.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 am

For academia, Yale > Columbia
For clerkships, Yale > Columbia

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am

I'd like to mention that no combination of numbers gives you a lock on Yale. Unlike Harvard, Yale has a small class size and rejects people with near perfect numbers with some frequency. I suggest you start thinking about your PS.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am

Bildungsroman wrote:For academia, Yale > Columbia
For clerkships, Yale > Columbia


Credited

Yale has RIDICULOUS clerkship rates

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 am

doubtful
Last edited by yoiav on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am

as an aside, is there somewhere i can leave a message for the moderators?

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Teoeo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:13 am

yoiav wrote:so back to my hypothetical, is yale worth 150,000 more than columbia?



Edited for obnoxiousness:

Academia ----- > Yale
Politics ------> Yale
DOJ -------> Debatable, probably Yale
PI ------> Depends on income, if low enough Yale (LRAP), if high enough (ex. Fed Gov.) Columbia
Everything else ------> Columbia

*This is just my opinion obviously =D
Last edited by Teoeo on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jdstl
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby jdstl » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:17 am

If your dream is to clerk on the COA (or maybe, if you're lucky/very smart, SCOTUS) then Yale is the obvious choice, maybe also if you would dissatisfied with anything but the most prestigious firm/government position.

If you don't really care and just want to get a good paying job, no reason not to take Columbia's offer to the bank.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby doyleoil » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:26 am

Yale's LRAP makes this a no-brainer. Good luck getting in!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 am

TheBigMediocre wrote:Get back to us when you're in at both and have secured the scholarship at Columbia.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby CG614 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am

Columbia is a great school, but if you think you may have any desire to be a judge or any political ambitions, then Yale and Harvard are better. I agree that this thread is obnoxious, cause the OP does not yet have this option (even though OP may one day have it). If given the option, I would choose Yale over the Hamilton.

lawls
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:52 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby lawls » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 am

rad law wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Get back to us when you're in at both and have secured the scholarship at Columbia.

notanumber
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby notanumber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Yale doesn't have grades, Columbia does.

Yale has better job placement across the board.

Yale requires you to write more.

You cannot grade onto Yale law review. Columbia factors grades into things.

Yale has smaller class size and more student/faculty interaction

Yale has a far superior LRAP program.

Yale is in New Haven, Columbia is in New York.

The Yale Law building is gothic revival which gives it a "harry potter" feel. Columbia's is an Abramovitz building (think Lincoln Center) with a 60s modernist feel.

Yale impresses more people at cocktail parties.

Are the advantages of Yale (such that there are) worth the money? That's a personal question and one that only you can answer.

But:
lawls wrote:
rad law wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Get back to us when you're in at both and have secured the scholarship at Columbia.


I have numbers very similar to yours and didn't get a full scholarship at Columbia. One ought not count one's chickens.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Columbia if you get the Hamilton.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:46 pm

There are lots of unemployed people at Columbia.

*if* you get into YHS, go to YHS.

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:59 pm

[/quote]

I have numbers very similar to yours and didn't get a full scholarship at Columbia. One ought not count one's chickens.[/quote]
what type of scholarship did you get?

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm

you are wrong to assume that you will get into Yale. You are also wrong to assume that you will get a full scholarship to Columbia.

Am I wrong to assume you are full of crap?
Last edited by dukelawguy144 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:04 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:your wrong to assume that you will get into Yale. You are also wrong to assume that you will get a full scholarship to Columbia.

Am I wrong to assume you are full of crap?

Glass houses, dude.

yoiav
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby yoiav » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:08 pm

dukelawguy144 wrote:you are wrong to assume that you will get into Yale. You are also wrong to assume that you will get a full scholarship to Columbia.

Am I wrong to assume you are full of crap?


assume away
Last edited by yoiav on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:10 pm

notanumber wrote:Yale impresses more people at cocktail parties.


I am going with this as the credited response.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: full columbia or nothing at yale?

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
notanumber wrote:Yale Harvard impresses more people at cocktail parties.


I am going with this as the credited response.


Yeah, but that's not all that important in the long run.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, studyingeveryday and 6 guests