Voluntourism Trip

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gren74

Voluntourism Trip

Postby gren74 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:34 pm

I've been been eyeing a voluntourism trip for awhile now. I finally have some time between lsat and app writing (and some money saved up), so I'll most likely be taking the trip within the next month. However, I wonder if because of the timing, it would seem fishy to potentially write about it in one of my essays even if it turns out to be a very meaningful experience to me. Is this a topic I should stay away from due to the circumstances?

Haribo

Re: Voluntourism Trip

Postby Haribo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:09 pm

I would stay away from it because voluntourism is lame to write about. Nothing to do with the timing. (I'm not saying you shouldn't take the trip, but I would expect adcoms to roll their eyes at anything you write about the impact of your 1 week trip saving Costa Rican orphans, when you weren't having fun at the beach.)

juevonate

Postby juevonate » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Hahaha....I wouldn't let that determine whether you go on the trip or not.

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:20 pm

does this sentiment generally apply to all volunteer work? i'm in Haiti doing relief work right now, and that's far from tourism--think adcomms would view it as noteworthy? or at least a decent PS topic? (there is definitely a lot of inspiration here)

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 am

afa_brandon wrote:does this sentiment generally apply to all volunteer work? i'm in Haiti doing relief work right now, and that's far from tourism--think adcomms would view it as noteworthy? or at least a decent PS topic? (there is definitely a lot of inspiration here)

Your situation would be fine to write a personal statement about, I'd imagine.

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:10 am

:P
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haribo

Postby Haribo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 am

Yeah, from your name I'm guessing you're in the Air Force - if you're TDY in Haiti doing relief work I think it would be fine to write about, even if it was temporary. The longer the better of course.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”