3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
modestsquirrel

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby modestsquirrel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:49 pm

MJMD wrote:If you can get into Florida, you can get into OSU and pay in-state tuition. The only reason I thought Florida might be worth the expense is because of their strength in tax; while it's usually an awful idea to pick a law school because of its specialty (as you might ultimately decide that you hate that specialty), it can serve as a useful career guide if it's the best school you can get into, because it becomes a world-class university in your field despite the low overall USNWR ranking. But if rad law says that out-of-state sticker isn't worth it, I would defer to his judgement.

You're in the 25th GPA percentile for OSU, but you're also just four LSAT points away from the 75th LSAT percentile. I'm currently in the 85th LSAT percentile for my school, but I am also literally in their bottom 1% of GPA scorers; I honestly believe that I was only admitted because I am a resident of the region that pays for my public university. You may find yourself in a similar situation (but better off in terms of GPA). Retake the LSAT, get a 164+, and apply to Moritz, and you'll probably get in.

Agreed. Although, as you stated, it appears that OSU places an emphasis on GPA. So a precaution, throw your hat in at U Conn, FL, Maryland, etc. I know some of these schools offer in state residency to strong applicants, this is especially true of U Conn.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:50 pm

MJMD wrote:The only reason I thought Florida might be worth the expense is because of their strength in tax; while it's usually an awful idea to pick a law school because of its specialty (as you might ultimately decide that you hate that specialty), it can serve as a useful career guide if it's the best school you can get into, because it becomes a world-class university in your field despite the low overall USNWR ranking. But if rad law says that out-of-state sticker isn't worth it, I would defer to his judgement.

FL tax LLM = awesome

FL JD just because you want to do tax = not such a great idea. Specialty rankings aren't a good predictor of jobs.

If you can get into Florida, you can get into OSU and pay in-state tuition.

Heed these words.

MJMD

Postby MJMD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:55 pm

If you ultimately get into OSU and a number of peer schools, the peer schools would have to offer you scholarships equal to 45% of total tuition in order to match in-state at Moritz. This is fairly unlikely to happen, especially as the first school to offer you scholarships ought to be the one in your home state.

It then becomes a question of whether or not you want to possibly pay a premium in order to A) improve your odds at finding a job in a different part of the country (i.e., get the hell out of Dodge), or B) attend a higher-ranked school. I think it would have to be substantially higher-ranked to be worth it, and given that getting into OSU will already require a bit more legwork, I don't think that's likely to happen.

mlorinczj

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

MJMD wrote:If you ultimately get into OSU and a number of peer schools, the peer schools would have to offer you scholarships equal to 45% of total tuition in order to match in-state at Moritz. This is fairly unlikely to happen, especially as the first school to offer you scholarships ought to be the one in your home state.

It then becomes a question of whether or not you want to possibly pay a premium in order to A) improve your odds at finding a job in a different part of the country (i.e., get the hell out of Dodge), or B) attend a higher-ranked school. I think it would have to be substantially higher-ranked to be worth it, and given that getting into OSU will already require a bit more legwork, I don't think that's likely to happen.

Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate all the advice and information.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”