3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:52 pm

I need some TLS advice guys and gals. What schools should i shoot for with those numbers? I'm looking for your opinions on which ones are worth paying sticker for assuming i'm admitted, or which ones i could possibly recieve money to. Region isn't a huge deal to me, but i'm from Ohio and i'm not interested in the west coast. So what do you think?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 pm

mlorinczj wrote:I need some TLS advice guys and gals. What schools should i shoot for with those numbers? I'm looking for your opinions on which ones are worth paying sticker for assuming i'm admitted, or which ones i could possibly recieve money to. Region isn't a huge deal to me, but i'm from Ohio and i'm not interested in the west coast. So what do you think?


if you are URM shoot for top 25. If not.... retake? Unless you're cool with lower rank

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm not a URM, but i have considered retaking. To be honest i never really was shooting for any school ranked higher then UNC. My GPA should be a 3.7, but those silly F's from freshman year have come back to haunt me. :?

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby dukelawguy144 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:59 pm

Possibly Fordham GW part time. I would seriously reconsider law school with your numbers.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Because it's impossible to get into a decent school with my numbers amirite?

modestsquirrel
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby modestsquirrel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Yes, you are correct.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 pm

mlorinczj wrote:Because it's impossible to get into a decent school with my numbers amirite?


define decent. almost certainly not a top25 full time program unless you figure out how to stop the BP oil spill and write about it in your personal statement.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:09 pm

Lol, that was pretty good. I was never shooting for top 25, i'm not really interested in BIG LAW and 150k worth of debt scares the hell out of me with the job market. I really have been considering retaking the LSAT, i think i could hit 165 with more study time. So i guess what i'm asking you guys (and i may have come to the wrong place knowing the TLS attitude of T14 or bust), is whether schools like Florida, Cincinnati, Kentucky or Pitt are worth paying sticker for? And if not where should i be applying?

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby MJMD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:13 pm

There was a long thread here about whether or not Pitt was worth sticker, which you may find enlightening:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120751

Florida kicks ass for tax: if you knew you wanted to be a tax lawyer, I suppose it would be worth paying sticker for.

What about getting your LSAT a little higher and applying to Ohio State? Or is your purpose in going to law school to get the hell out of Dodge?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:16 pm

mlorinczj wrote:My GPA should be a 3.7, but those silly F's from freshman year have come back to haunt me. :?


Wow way to sound entitled.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:16 pm

MJMD wrote:Florida kicks ass for tax: if you knew you wanted to be a tax lawyer, I suppose it would be worth paying sticker for.


Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby MJMD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

rad law wrote:
MJMD wrote:Florida kicks ass for tax: if you knew you wanted to be a tax lawyer, I suppose it would be worth paying sticker for.


Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.


The expert has shot me down: I defer.

(Good thing I didn't apply there, then, I guess.)

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:19 pm

I've absolutely considered the OSU option, it was my #1/#2 choice pre-LSAT. But i've also been wrestling with the "get the hell out of dodge" option. I'd love a change of scenery, however slight it may be. But that's the reasons i've come to the forums, to get the honest opinions of people who can identify with my situation.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 pm

MJMD wrote:
rad law wrote:
MJMD wrote:Florida kicks ass for tax: if you knew you wanted to be a tax lawyer, I suppose it would be worth paying sticker for.


Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.


The expert has shot me down: I defer.

(Good thing I didn't apply there, then, I guess.)


I mean don't get me wrong, it's a good school, but FL is hurting so bad these days that even with in-state + COL I'd be nervous.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:21 pm

rad law wrote: Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.


That hard to gain in-state tuition? Or is Florida not worth 65k?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:23 pm

mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.


That hard to gain in-state tuition? Or is Florida not worth 65k?


Anecdotally it's not that hard, but it's more like $65k + COL, which could put you close to $100k in the hole. This would not be good.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

rad law wrote: Anecdotally it's not that hard, but it's more like $65k + COL, which could put you close to $100k in the hole. This would not be good.


Lets exclude COL for the equation, i've got about 30k saved and a fiance willing to foot COL bills. That being said, is Florida still that bad?

modestsquirrel
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby modestsquirrel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: Out of state sticker? No. Good way to get screwed.


That hard to gain in-state tuition? Or is Florida not worth 65k?



I think after the first year you can gain residency. Probably still isn't worth the expense. Aim for 167+ and you'll have a decent shot at some great schools, even with your gpa. Where is your target region?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm

mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: Anecdotally it's not that hard, but it's more like $65k + COL, which could put you close to $100k in the hole. This would not be good.


Lets exclude COL for the equation, i've got about 30k saved and a fiance willing to foot COL bills. That being said, is Florida still that bad?


$65k wouldn't be terrible, but I could think of a lot better things to spend the $30k on.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

modestsquirrel wrote: I think after the first year you can gain residency. Probably still isn't worth the expense. Aim for 167+ and you'll have a decent shot at some great schools, even with your gpa. Where is your target region?


I guess i'd say midwest, east coast, or the southeast. I'm not extremely partial, but i'd rather not go north of Ohio, winters already suck.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:31 pm

rad law wrote: $65k wouldn't be terrible, but I could think of a lot better things to spend the $30k on.


The 30k is really just a COL cushion in case the sh*t hits the fan. I'm more than willing to drop a giant chunk on the loan after i graduate, i just feel better with a safety net.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm

mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: $65k wouldn't be terrible, but I could think of a lot better things to spend the $30k on.


The 30k is really just a COL cushion in case the sh*t hits the fan. I'm more than willing to drop a giant chunk on the loan after i graduate, i just feel better with a safety net.


I see what you're saying, but I'd still spend the money elsewhere. Or try to score high enough for some money. With the money saved up and the wife though it wouldn't be a life-ending decision, however.

modestsquirrel
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby modestsquirrel » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:36 pm

rad law wrote:
mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: $65k wouldn't be terrible, but I could think of a lot better things to spend the $30k on.


The 30k is really just a COL cushion in case the sh*t hits the fan. I'm more than willing to drop a giant chunk on the loan after i graduate, i just feel better with a safety net.


I see what you're saying, but I'd still spend the money elsewhere. Or try to score high enough for some money. With the money saved up and the wife though it wouldn't be a life-ending decision, however.


I would have to agree. All the money I saved from working after UG is going towards a down payment on a house for after law school. See if you can get a few points higher. Your region is broad enough that you could find a strong regional school that might offer you some money.

mlorinczj
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby mlorinczj » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:38 pm

modestsquirrel wrote:
rad law wrote:
mlorinczj wrote:
rad law wrote: $65k wouldn't be terrible, but I could think of a lot better things to spend the $30k on.


The 30k is really just a COL cushion in case the sh*t hits the fan. I'm more than willing to drop a giant chunk on the loan after i graduate, i just feel better with a safety net.


I see what you're saying, but I'd still spend the money elsewhere. Or try to score high enough for some money. With the money saved up and the wife though it wouldn't be a life-ending decision, however.


I would have to agree. All the money I saved from working after UG is going towards a down payment on a house for after law school. See if you can get a few points higher. Your region is broad enough that you could find a strong regional school that might offer you some money.


Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it guys. So what schools should i be targeting if i can raise the LSAT a few points?

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 3.3 GPA, 160 LSAT, Where To Apply?

Postby MJMD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:44 pm

If you can get into Florida, you can get into OSU and pay in-state tuition. The only reason I thought Florida might be worth the expense is because of their strength in tax; while it's usually an awful idea to pick a law school because of its specialty (as you might ultimately decide that you hate that specialty), it can serve as a useful career guide if it's the best school you can get into, because it becomes a world-class university in your field despite the low overall USNWR ranking. But if rad law says that out-of-state sticker isn't worth it, I would defer to his judgement.

You're in the 25th GPA percentile for OSU, but you're also just four LSAT points away from the 75th LSAT percentile. I'm currently in the 85th LSAT percentile for my school, but I am also literally in their bottom 1% of GPA scorers; I honestly believe that I was only admitted because I am a resident of the region that pays for my public university.

You may find yourself in a similar situation (but better off in terms of GPA). Retake the LSAT, get a 164+, and apply to Moritz, and you'll almost certainly get in.
Last edited by MJMD on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Finickywalrus, Longsx3, stewhan and 2 guests